Rotary conversion?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

Does anyone know of anyone whose done this conversion? Im thinking 20b in an lh. Size wont be an issue obviously but does anyone know of there is a problem with the rotary mounts lining up with the right places. I know anything can be done, just putting it out there, would love to do this conversion. Its the best of both worlds IMHO.

#2 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

what are the 2 worlds you speak of??

#3 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

yeah i wasnt sure how familiar you guys would be with rotaries. No problem, just looking for some input.

Edited by Disqualified, 23 April 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#4 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

lmao Rotaries are frowned upon here but you didnt hear that from me. You're obviously referring to the massive displacement and high revving nature of the 20b? I dont think youll have a problem putting it in there, get some new engine mounts made up and your away, youll probably have a hard time getting it through the pits though especially if theres a turbo whacked on (the only point of going rotary).

#5 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:49 AM

a turbo whacked on (the only point of going rotary).

ill pretend i didnt hear that, refer to the 1000hp N/A rotary that one le mans first time out. Not many 1000hp v8's going around.

But lets not turn this into a rotary vs piston argument :D

Oh and the 20b is only 3900cc AFAIK

So no-one knows of it being done?

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

HJ's were sold new in Japan with rotary engines and marketed as Mazda Road Pacers, or something like that. It can be done and has been done. Question is, where would you get info on the conversion?

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

Smacks of too much rice for me lol

Although Rotary's go like shit I have never liked them, they sound like crap too.

Cheers
Herne

#8 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

Herne, are you just saying that to provoke reaction? Either way, look up a video of the mazda 787B, 1000hp out of an n/a rotary and a sound that IMO is better than any v8. Dont get me wrong, v8's are awesome, but dont dismiss the rotary until you know a little about its potential. And i dont know how you can call rx2,3,5, 1st gen rx7's rice, especially when theyre are alot of them running 7's. Theyre as old school as any torana, even if not as visually pleasing.

Herne either your stirring the pot or you dont know shit about rotaries, either way, if you have nothing contructive to say stay out of my thread. Thanks.

Yeah ive heard of the road pacer, very much a luxury barge with no guts.

Ive heard of one hb with a 13bt conversion but thats all. If i carry out the conversion i'll put up a write-up for those wishing to do the conversion on the future. Although judging on the reaction so far i doubt it will be well-recieved. I may even take it to the track to show some of you haters what a joke a piece of shit engine can make of some of your v8's.

ps. sorry for the hostility, i understand a lot of your are open minded but i cant stand people dismissing an engine with just a much potential if not more than that which they advocate.

#9 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

hey, dont tar me with the same brush. im a rotary fan. i just want to know what the 2 worlds you're talking 'bout.

power and weight
power and economy
blah, blah, blah

i currently have a rusted out r100 with 13b conversion parked outside my kitchen window!

looking in the bay, i cant see how it would be any different to put a rotary in a torry than the rb30. i think a 20b is still a little shorter than a straight 6? better c of g with rotary.

#10 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

A ROTARIE IN A TORANA OH DEAR,rotaries are fine in the light cars you are talking about but they have shit torque so in a heavier car they arnt too good,a LX torana is alot hevier than a rx7 or rx3 ect. as for sounding better than a V8 yeah right? id rather have a 600hp V8 with 600ftlbs of torque than a 1000hp screamer thats got no low down grunt. i know which would feel better to me. and also rotaries are not as reliable when it comes to high horsepower a V8 will last alot longer. if you really want one in a torana put one in a shitty little HB torana that know one cares about, and its a light car.

im opened minded but this is not a good conversion,why not put a twin turbo jappa six in it or twin turbo lexus V8,atleast these motors make some torque

#11 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

hey why not put a ford 351 in a holden or 308 in a ford thats different too but doesent mean its good? you better go back to reading fast fours & rotaries magazines and leave the torrie out of this, sounds like your very confused.

#12 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

[quote]what are the 2 worlds you speak of??[/quote]

i was refering to torries and rotaries

[quote]hey why not put a ford 351 in a holden or 308 in a ford thats different too but doesent mean its good?[/quote]

please quote where i said i was considering this because its different.

[quote]A ROTARIE IN A TORANA OH DEAR,rotaries are fine in the light cars you are talking about but they have shit torque so in a heavier car they arnt too good[/quote]

[quote],a LX torana is alot hevier than a rx7[/quote]

[quote]sounds like your very confused.[/quote]

Firstly i was talking about lh's which weigh about 1150, s5 rx7's fitted with a 13b are 1300+, sounds like your the one thats confused

[quote]rotaries are not as reliable when it comes to high horsepower a V8 will last alot longer.[/quote]

i think if a 1000hp engine can withstand 24 hours of non-stop thrashing (le mans), that sort of proves its reliablty somewhat.

Maybe you should read a magazine or two then maybe you wont sound so ignorant when you bag out rotaries, you might even pick up the correct spelling somewhere.

But i know theres no convincing your type, just dont winge when i "scream" past you. :D

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

Herne, are you just saying that to provoke reaction? Either way, look up a video of the mazda 787B, 1000hp out of an n/a rotary and a sound that IMO is better than any v8. Dont get me wrong, v8's are awesome, but dont dismiss the rotary until you know a little about its potential. And i dont know how you can call rx2,3,5, 1st gen rx7's rice, especially when theyre are alot of them running 7's. Theyre as old school as any torana, even if not as visually pleasing.

Herne either your stirring the pot or you dont know shit about rotaries, either way, if you have nothing contructive to say stay out of my thread. Thanks.

Yeah ive heard of the road pacer, very much a luxury barge with no guts.

Ive heard of one hb with a 13bt conversion but thats all. If i carry out the conversion i'll put up a write-up for those wishing to do the conversion on the future. Although judging on the reaction so far i doubt it will be well-recieved. I may even take it to the track to show some of you haters what a joke a piece of shit engine can make of some of your v8's.

ps. sorry for the hostility, i understand a lot of your are open minded but i cant stand people dismissing an engine with just a much potential if not more than that which they advocate.

Disqualified, I think I know enough about rotarys to know I dislike em....
But that was not my point, if you are talking about putting a rotary in a Torana then I cannot see the point and still think it smacks of rice and would be better suited in a rice burner (just my opinion). Not trying to stir the pot or even stir you up. This is a forum and I commented, that is all.
I do sometimes stir the pot but this was not one of those occasions. No hostilty from me.
As for knowing shit, well I do know it when I see it.

Herne

#14 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

I think you need a low diff ratio for a rotary??

#15 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

go for it mate.
dont let a handful of guys who cant see the forest for the trees talk you out of it.

#16 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

I'm with Jap-XU1, these fellas are used to V8's and red 6's... Something different, something out of the ordinary, something unique is a scary thought to them!

When you make 600HP in something that (effectively) has 3 cylinders, you know you mean business...

I'm not a fan of Jap stuff (like me auzzie muscle), but i still think that your idea is certainly gonna turn some heads, and i rekon with a blower on the side you'll see at least 10sec in a torry....

I read up on a VC Commodore that had this conversion done - ran 12's without a turbo, give it a shot!
Go hard man!
Keith

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 23 April 2006 - 06:33 PM.

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

A ROTARIE IN A TORANA OH DEAR,rotaries are fine in the light cars you are talking about but they have shit torque so in a heavier car they arnt too good,a LX torana is alot hevier than a rx7 or rx3 ect. as for sounding better than a V8 yeah right? id rather have a 600hp V8 with 600ftlbs of torque than a 1000hp screamer thats got no low down grunt.

As originalglen says, you probably need a different diff ratio and or gearbox to suit the higher revving rotary. The torque deficiency of a smaller high revving engine isnt an issue with the right gearing(torque/force multiplication) Ultimately the same grunt can be created at any road speed with a 600hp rotary as a 600hp v8, except the rotary will be doing higher rpm.
For many the sound of a more higher pitched revving motor simply doesnt sound as macho....thats preference. Possibly also the rotary would still have a more narrow/peaky useable rpm range and would require more frequent gear changing as well.
There are obviously benefits of its lighter and probably wont drink as much fuel when not being thrashed and perhaps with fewer moving parts cheaper to rebuild?
but as noted by quickLJ probably wont go the same distance as a larger motor.

#18 _Disqualified_

_Disqualified_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

thanks keithy's_UC and jap-xu1, im liking the thought of this conversion more and more

#19 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

and perhaps with fewer moving parts cheaper to rebuild?

i think the apex seals are quite dear??

#20 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

I reckon go for it! I'm not a huge rotary fan but I'd rather have one than a bloody RB30. Lets face it, go to the drags, if it's fast 99% of the time its a V8 or a rotary. It's only as rice as you want it to be. I saw the cover of a fast fours (or similer) mag in a servo the other day and saw a fully muscle car engine bay all chrome up with sheet metal everywhere etc, big blower with injection hat on top. Had a closer look and saw that it was a rotor. It looked shit hot.

From a technical point of veiw I can't think of a reason why you'd have any problem, the motors a tiny compared to a V8.

#21 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

a 9 second engine is about 9k
kevin webb from south coast rotary makes the best seals money can buy,everyone is using them.

definately speak to him as he is perhaps the most honest genuine bloke in the game

#22 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

Your money and time, build what you want. It's a good idea, be different :spoton:

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

My first concern about the conversion was the overall weight of the vehicle. But since you posted the weight of an RX7, this is starting to sound interesting. Low gears are easy if you want a 9". Hilux diffs can be bought with 4.? gears.

#24 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

its still going to sound gay,ok if you get a fat over the sound of a chainsaw i guess :huh: ,at least i dont have to drive it.

#25 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:19 AM

LOL exactly...^^^^ I might not like them or the sound they make but thats no reason to get upset.

Dangerous will build whatever he wants in the long run and thats fine.

Cheers
Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users