350 in LX/LH?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _samLJ+LX_

_samLJ+LX_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

i got a 4 bolt 350 SBC block today and am thinking about stroking it to replace the 308, after a slow build up due to lack of $$$.

just want to know if anyone has some idea of what the regulations are for this kind of conversion in Adelaide.

i'm sure it's been done plenty of times before, but i want to know what i'll be in for to get it legally registered in SA and if it's worth the hassle and money.

i'm thinking if it's too difficult to do, cash wise, i'll stick with the 308 and stroke that.

anyone had the experience or got any idea?

#2 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:40 PM

As far as i know there isn't very many leagally registered 350 toranas in adelaide
good luck if u decide to go that way and let us know how you go.
There used to be a guy in the HTC who went through the process but i cant remember his name.Haven't seen him for a while either.

Edited by LXdamo, 23 April 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#3 _SIR383_

_SIR383_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:06 AM

I am in the same boat I am in SA and have a LX hatch and a 350 chev to go in it.

I spoke to regency awhile back all that they said was if it is larger in capacity then largest motor optioned with the car it will need engineering.
I might give them another call tomorrow and an engineer that I have used on one of my other cars and see what they say.

I will let you know how i go.

Casey

#4 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

These days with stroker cranks available and VN heads etc, is it worth going for a Chev?

#5 _samLJ+LX_

_samLJ+LX_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

yeah I see what you mean.

i know 355 is a go'er with 308's wanted to go 383, i think 308 block can reach that, so i've heard, and figured that the 308 block would need a hefty bore as well as stroker crank to get there.

don't want a bock thats bored out so much that over heating becomes a problem.

is this correct? or am i mistaken

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

You can get thick sleeves so 308 blocks can accept Chev 400 pistons: 4.125" bore. If the sleeves are thick enough and the wallet deep enough, most things can safely be done.

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

I'm not sure about the overheating issues you raised, but a 308 can be stroked to 383. I'm also not sure what bore diameter that is either.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

Heath, the 383 is made using 0.030" over pistons and 3.75" stroke crank. Which is the same stroke as the Chev 400 small block.

#9 _smokem_

_smokem_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

mine was purchased as a legaly registered 350 lh
it was engineered by previous owners theres only a handfull of legit 350 rego,d torries here in SA...worst thing is i took the 350 out and put the blown 308 in so its a waste realy

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

These days with stroker cranks available and VN heads etc, is it worth going for a Chev?

Still worthwhile going chev.

VN heads are nothing special.

Really its different strokes for different blokes, I just love Chevs and would put 1 in anything over a Holden V8 anyday, but some people are the opposite.

Go with what your heart says I say. As long as it isnt blue oval its all smiles here.

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

But if rego won't let him have a Chev, then it doesn't give him much option.

#12 _samLJ+LX_

_samLJ+LX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

might have to use, "that engine was in it when i bought it officer, i thought it was a 308"

i have hq front discs and 9" rear (no discs) but i know engineering is gonna cost a mint.

a bit more research needed i think.

#13 _samLJ+LX_

_samLJ+LX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

also what's peoples opinion of a 2 speed powerglide?

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

If you want to keep your HR original, or you have a BBC between the front wheels, they are a fine choice.

#15 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

If you want to keep your HR original, or you have a BBC between the front wheels, they are a fine choice.

Easy chopper there not too bad on the street, Id go a 3 speed over the P/G any day on the street, but in a light car like a torana with a 25-3500 converter the P/G can be a good choice with a stout little small block.

They are super strong, not a big HP eater and perform flawlessly.

But its just, weeeeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm, uuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and thats it til the next set of lights.

Edited by LS1LX, 25 April 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'm not saying the Power Glide is a bad thing. I stated a couple of applications where it would be fine. I'm like you, I would prefer a 3 speed auto over a two speed auto MOST of the time. I just like to keep my posts short and to the point. Unlike some members who will remain nameless. However, if you require a drawn out and detailed expalnation, talk to those people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users