i have drilled 3 holes in the thermostat as per instructions

#27 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

It would appear that the holes are letting through too much water and have effectively stopped the thermostat from doing half its job. If you want to use that type of bypass system then you with either have experiment with the size of the holes in the thermostat or like you said via the speed of the water pump.

The factory thermostat bypass is via the heater back to the water pump. You could add a line from the intake manifold to the timing cover as a bypass and run a normal thermostat.

Another option is the John Bennet De Tomaso Pantera remote thermostat and bypass. The thermostat is moved to the middle of the top hose with a 5/8 hose (from memory) that connects to a mixing block in the middle of the bottom hose. When the thermostat is closed the water circulates via the bypass. When the thermostat is open water circulates through the bypass and the radiator. I saw a similar setup at Choice Radiators in Bellevue in the early 90's.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 01 July 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#28 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

Hey Ken,

correct me if im wrong but i saw this car on ebay a few days/weeks ago for sale?.

Cheers Hayden

#29 _kdsa_

_kdsa_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

hayden,

correct mate sold the ute but have decided to keep the motor spent to much time and money on it.

#30 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Another option is the John Bennet De Tomaso Pantera remote thermostat and bypass.

The thermostat relocation kit is not currently available unless someone else is reproducing it.

#31 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

John Eleuteri at Choice Radiators ( I think they were also Guildford Radiators ) did have his own system a long time ago. That is the system I saw in the early 90's, it may be worth a call if your are interested.

Choice Radiators
22 Wells St
BELLEVUE
WA 6056
08) 9250 3232

Alternatively you could probably modify two Meziere inline thermostat housings to do the job. They are available in 1.25" and 1.5".

Posted Image

#32 _kdsa_

_kdsa_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

As i said yesterday i fitted a genuine holden pump, took it for a spin was good with temps around 180f cruzing and standing on it also no probs, but on slow idle or pulling up at lights seem to head up to 210 ,212f, but picking the revs up back to 180f in no time. i rekon on a hot day in traffic it would really die, but i do think the ewp will maintain temp better as the flow is a constant speed and not on revs, your thoughts, ls2hatch what do you rekon mate

#33 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Do you have an electric of mechanical fan?

If the higher engine temps are caused by lack of coolant flow at idle then the EWP will help.

If the high temps at idle are caused by lack of airflow through the radiator then the EWP will not help.

#34 _kdsa_

_kdsa_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

im hearing ya mate i have 2 12 inch thermos slim line ones , ebay ones, they seem to move a fair bit of air i guess they pulling over the radiator

#35 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

Hey Ken,

correct me if im wrong but i saw this car on ebay a few days/weeks ago for sale?.

Cheers Hayden

yeah i saw that too, nice looking hr ute!

what model sedan is the motor going into??

#36 _kdsa_

_kdsa_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

Guys thought you might be intersted , this is what the motor is going into next, was in my ute

Attached Files

#37 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

ah nice, ive got a hd ute, and sedan also. keeping it a sleeper?

#38 _kdsa_

_kdsa_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

Sleeper, well sort of it will have a set of wheels buts thats it really , any pics of yours mitch

#39 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

pictures of my ute here: http://www.gmh-toran...=1
i think theres a few of the sedan in there too. havent touched the sedan in a few years. it will be started round november

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users