Gotta love those Red Book values

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:21 PM

Well jus checked what my Torrie is worth according to Red Book and nearly fell of my chair.According to them my 76 5.0 4speed SS is only worth between $13,100-$18,100 where as equivelant 76 SLR 5000 is worth between $23,100-$30,100,even the lesser 76 SLR 4.2 is worth more than my SS.I think they got the SLR 5000 price pretty close but they are still way off of the SS pricing.I see they cought up with the A9X sedan value a bit but still way off the A9X hatch.The 5.0 SS is gotta be worth more than the SLR 5000 surely.

http://www.redbookas...family=PSTORANA

#2 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

Dont want to burst your bubble, but i believe the SLR's are worth more than the SS' in a collectors eye also...

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

They need some attendance but who cares. You know what your car is worth vaguely, the fact that a site that believes XU-1s had single carbueretters undervalues your car shouldn't matter.

#4 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

maybe due to the fact that there has not been a good 308 ss hatch sold for years and that afects the national average price.

i would think that a good 5.0 ss hatch would be worth the same if not more than a sedan.

#5 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

I think that its the other way around,less were made and a more desireble shape(not that there is anything wrong with sedans they are awesome too).But seroiusly how many 5.0 SS have you seen for sale lately,nadda,zero ,zip,zilch.Its easier these days to find an A9X than a stock 5.0 SS.Don't get me wrong I love SLRs but I think that SS is worth a lot more(if you can find one that is)

#6 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

Heath about the values there is a blue 4.2 SS(one owner) on ebay at the moment(it has been sold now but the ad is still there).The elderly couple didn't know what its worth and so went by the red book value and ended up selling it for a little over $10000 not knowing what they are really worth after they sold it the bidding reached over $11000 and still with 7 days to go,now I personally think that this car would have reached easy$15000 but they figured that according to the book it was a good deal and took someones offer not knowing that they can easily get more.Now its good for bargain hunters like us but it spells bad news to the little old grannys and granpas who have no idea.

#7 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

i am happy with there price $17.900-$24.300 for a lj gtr gee how hight can
the dollar keep pushing up on all the torrys? iam over the moon! :D

was not that long ago you could pick a xui up for $under 10 grand.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

The main thing on most friendly elderly people's minds is that the prospective buyers will take care of it and treat it right, not what they'll pay for it. I have been offered so many steals, but I don't have effective transport organization skills and I wouldn't be treating those vehicles 'right' anyway. But I see where you're coming from as well.

Send them an e-mail if you want it corrected, I just couldn't give a toss about that kinda valuing systems, but you have stated a relevant point that maybe should be attended to.

#9 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

there are 2 types of people who love the redbook

1/ car salesman .... when giving you a trade in price

2/ insurance co ..... when paying you out for a totalled..

#10 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:06 AM

Dang straight, mine's 'apparently' worth between $500 and $2100...

If i was to insure it with Virgil insurance, the agreed value is $8000... Not bad in my opinion!

Keith

#11 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

They are on the ball with the phase 3's

there are 2 types of people who love the redbook

1/ car salesman .... when giving you a trade in price

2/ insurance co ..... when paying you out for a totalled..

They could always bring up the value on my cruiser but, arh well more chance of it being written of I suppose

Edited by shanegtr, 27 April 2006 - 06:48 AM.

#12 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:37 AM

They are on the ball with the phase 3's

They are :huh:

Weren't last time l looked, they are never on the ball with anything that sells outside of normal car deprecaition "rules" and in volume.

#13 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

I think LX5008 is correct in saying that they go off comparitive sales within the last reporting period ( lets say they update every 6 months, then they will go back and compare sales over a 6 month period ).
If there have been very few sales then the "average" price will seem relatively low, if there have been many sales, then the average price will increase - get the drift !!! Example: If 2 SS 5.0l 4spd have sold in the past 6 months, one for $20k and the other for $10K, then the average price will be $15k.

That's why some values will appear reasonable and others will appear way off the mark.
Ultimately, we all know what our cars are worth.

DD

#14 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

1971 FORD FALCON

XY GTHO Phase III Sedan 4dr Man 4sp 351
Trade in price guide* $92,800 - $113,400
National average price - private sale* $104,200 - $131,900
Price when new (RRP) $5,302

Far out i wished i owned one of them. i know its a ford, and the torrie killed it a bathurst but i love the actual design of them.

Price when new (RRP) $5,302- what an investment

#15 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

hrt1 and 2...

Rember though mate.. Back in 1971 the average weekly wage was less than $100 a week... A dollar was a DOLLAR! to spent 5 grand on a car back then was like a WHOLE year's earning!! ( and then some for most!!)

I know alot of the older guys on the forum will agree with me here...

Cheers!

#16 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

Well the phase 3 pricing is not even close,I don't remember the last time someone offered one of these lately for anything less than $200000.I think in recent times they raised the natonal average pricing by quite a bit on some of the cars but still there are a few which should be as well.But like many of you said if there aren't any for sale than they cant compare the prices thus they stay the same.

#17 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

I stand corrected. Its been a few years since I've seen or heard of any shakers for sale so that might explain why Im behind the times :D

#18 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

haha yeah heard many of the old mans storys

"back when i was 20 ra ra ra"

everything was so damn cheap then but only rich people got to enjoy it!

#19 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

hrt1 and 2...

Rember though mate.. Back in 1971 the average weekly wage was less than $100 a week... A dollar was a DOLLAR! to spent 5 grand on a car back then was like a WHOLE year's earning!! ( and then some for most!!)

I know alot of the older guys on the forum will agree with me here...

Cheers!

l dont consider myself an older guy :D but in 1971 my olds bought a standard house on a 1/4 acre for $14000, same place today would be worth $250k so that gives you some idea of how expensive a HO3 was in 1971. In the early years of their life HO3's suffered terribly from deprecaition, it wasnt until later in the 70's that they really bagan to be appreciated for what they were.

Cheers

#20 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:57 AM

National average price - private sale* $104,200 - $131,900
Price when new (RRP) $5,302

Far out i wished i owned one of them. i know its a ford, and the torrie killed it a bathurst but i love the actual design of them.

Price when new (RRP) $5,302- what an investment

Perhaps!
over 35 years, the 71 ford ($108000)has appreciated at ~9% per year.
Better than bank interest over the same period I know, better than the majority of cars which depreciate too. But not as good or safe as some real estate or shares, yes i know you cant drive a house.
Factor in also costs rego + ins +maintenance or storage etc and 'perhaps' the return simply as simply an investment might not seem as attractive. Of course having the pleasure of owning and driving it is another factor, and if you picked one up at the end of the 70's where the price must of been low then it would have been a real spinner. (wish id bought 50)
One has to also consider that an investment in cars could come unstuck with a simple change in regs which prevents it being driven etc, heavily taxed etc, or a going out of favour with collectors(wouldnt seem likely atm).

Edited by devilsadvocate, 28 April 2006 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users