np block

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _march1773_

_march1773_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

My late Grandad owned a lj torana that he passed down to me,but i am not to sure if its an original xu1 or not.It has the vin missing and the engine block starts with the letters NP.I thought all lj xu1 toranas had a jp engine block,any help will be great.

#2 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

Welcome to the forum ,the NP was a Holden replacement block used when JP , XU1 engines blew up . They are probably worth more than a JP if sold .

#3 GTR-1

GTR-1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Car:Phantom Grey 7/71 LC GTR.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Welcome to the forum ,the NP was a Holden replacement block used when JP , XU1 engines blew up . They are probably worth more than a JP if sold .

Does anyone know how many NP blocks were made?

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Does anyone know how many NP blocks were made?

No eye deer, but I have seen one NP block.

#5 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

did the NP bock have a unique engine number or was the number of the bock that it replaced stamped on?

#6 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hi limo

NP then 4 digits. NLs were probably interspersed within the same sequence of numbers.

Cheers

Bazza

#7 TheKing

TheKing

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:A couple of Holdens

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi limo

NP then 4 digits. NLs were probably interspersed within the same sequence of numbers.

Cheers

Bazza

G'day, I have an NL block number NL5### cast date 5/74. I also know of an NP block number NP7### cast date 4/74. I think NL's & NP's each may have had there own sequence of numbers.
Regards Jeff

#8 GTR-1

GTR-1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Car:Phantom Grey 7/71 LC GTR.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi limo

Cheers

Bazza

G'day, I have an NL block number NL5### cast date 5/74. I also know of an NP block number NP7### cast date 4/74. I think NL's & NP's each may have had there own sequence of numbers.
Regards Jeff

I know of a NP block number NP5###, cast date 8/74 and a NL with number NL6### will get back later with cast date.
Finer70 had a block with NP4### cast date 8/73

#9 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:38 AM

Not quite. The Nasco sequence started at the start of HQ engine production, at 1001 (like all other sequences eg the HQ sequence started at QD1001 - note the HQ engine number sequence also included LC from HQ release, LJ etc). So any replacement ENGINE or SHORT (when available) sold by NASCO (later GMP&A) existed in this sequence. So along with NP you'll find NA, NB, NC, ND....right up to NZ, dependant upon what it was destined for. You also will find 186N, 161N, 253N etc for earlier cars plus 3100N (for LC XU-1 pre CK XU-1) amongst others, all inside the same sequence, but only for replacement ENGINES sold after HQ release.
The unclear bit is how Nasco distinguished between say a replacment red high comp 202 ENGINE (long motor) with NL prefix as there were differences between the cars it could be destined for. Example LJ 202 had a different sump to HQ-HZ and LH-LX, LX manual used a different cam etc. They used for example 308N for a replacement engine for HT/G to distinuish it from a HQ/LH engine. One day it'll be clear.

Note that replacement BLOCKS (ie block and piston kits) didn't have a Nasco number from what I have discovered so far, and from what I can tell normally when a SHORT was required a block and piston kit and a crank were ordered (for warranty purposes normally). So the Nx or xxxN or xxxxN blocks you find today were most likely replacement ENGINES not blocks.

Note that once blue motors were released the prefixed changed to for example N5L for a high comp 3.3 (as opposed to NL for the VB Commodore, UC and HZ).

If you read the parts catalogues closely, it also appears that you could order engine assemblies from current production, so I believe that means you could buy a complete say HX 3.3 high comp engine with a number like QL900000.

#10 Burrawout

Burrawout

Forum Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

Have seen NL prefix blocks with 4 digits eg. NL2376 and five digit eg. NL12345. The five digit number did start with a 1 though.

#11 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

I have a NP in my car,73 block,72 crank and 73 rods,was replaced to rod failure on number 6,It was a recall they had rod problems on the 72 xu-1 JP blocks,it was replaced 36 years ago,my original told me, a letter from gmh was sent to him in 1973.

Cheers.

#12 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'd be interested in an NP block if anyone knows of one for sale that can be recoed, if need be.
John.

#13 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'd be interested in an NP block if anyone knows of one for sale that can be recoed, if need be.
John.

Hope you have a fat wallet?They have been known to go for more then JP blocks.

#14 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

i sold one for 7600 a couple of weeks back, and im sure aldo still has one hes selling.

cheers gong

#15 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

bloody hell !! the last one I saw went for $2500 on ebay.....

#16 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

Have seen NL prefix blocks with 4 digits eg. NL2376 and five digit eg. NL12345. The five digit number did start with a 1 though.

Yes, the 5 digits is simply because Nx9999 was reached, before the end of supply of (probably) warranty engines for HZ and VB. I saw an NT1xxxx once as well.

I have a NP in my car,73 block,72 crank and 73 rods,was replaced to rod failure on number 6,It was a recall they had rod problems on the 72 xu-1 JP blocks,it was replaced 36 years ago,my original told me, a letter from gmh was sent to him in 1973.

Cheers.

Must have been fitted with a short motor. From what I understand, if it had simply been a block and piston kit fitted the original JP engine number would have been stamped into the replacement block.

#17 Burrawout

Burrawout

Forum Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

The 5 digit NL block I saw was a 78 casting with 202 on the block not 3.3.

#18 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:34 AM

That's about right.

#19 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi all
No disrespect is meant but I'm trying to understand something that i maybe missing

First of all a matching number car is worth more than one that's not....if its got the documented History its worth more again..... right :deal: .... and if you've got a NP/NL in a vehicle with out the history of when it was put in then what is the difference in having a non matching number JP in it ???? ......

scenario mid 70's someone requires a replacement engine due to a failure and chooses a low Km JP/JL engine, due to the fact that there is a limited supply of NP/NL or ......happens to find a low Km NP/NL how would we know without a documented history :deal: of what was done. IMO leaves a lot of doubt

For my own purpose I would not pay any more for any car that has a NP with out the evidents of the change than one with a non matching JP in it....I'd be kidding myself if i thought any other way then again maybe its me :fool:

So why the desire to have a NP in ya car without the paper work?

#20 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi 2runa

Basically it gets down the fact that the NP/NL is the CORRECT replacement engine. In a concourse competition, an NP/NL would be awarded more points than a 'similar' but non-original engine (ie JP/JL)

In the overall scheme of things however the total package is was determines the price.

Cheers

Bazza

#21 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

So why the desire to have a NP in ya car without the paper work?

I'll explain.

Its sort of like paying $1k+ for a crap points dizzy just because its got a particular part number on it that you can't really see unless you pull the dizzy out.

Get it yet? :P

#22 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:44 AM

i sort of agree with you craig but there is one thing i cant come to grips with,,, and that would be my own [peace of mind]and that would be like owning a re-shelled 73 bathurst car, no one could tell until the car was bare metaled.
having a np in a car that had lost its original motor would be the next best thing weather it had papers of proof or not really, but papers of proof would be a extra bonus.

cheers gong

#23 _adamwbrown1_

_adamwbrown1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:11 AM

Hi, What sort of price do Np blocks sell for these days

Cheers Adam

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

Hi, What sort of price do Np blocks sell for these days

Cheers Adam

I'd reckon between 2k - 5k depending on condition. At the end of the day it really comes down to what it is worth to the buyer.

#25 Pana

Pana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Name:Prana
  • Car:GTR

Posted 30 December 2023 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any late 71 LC XU-1s that had a 202 (3300) in them. I believe a NP replacement warranty motor could be used in late 71 XU-1s.

Is this 100% correct and was the prefix allowed NP or was it another prefix.

It would interesting to know if anyone has seen the NP or a 202 being used in the late 71 XU-1.

Thanks 

Pana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users