Photo

Personal Plates Poll

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Personal Plates Poll (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Personal Plates Value

1. I would pay up to 100k (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted I would pay up to 10k (1 votes [1.25%])

Percentage of vote: 1.25%

3. Voted I would pay up to 5k (5 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. Voted I would pay up to 1k (13 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

5. Voted I would pay up to $500 (44 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

6. Voted I think they are a waste of money (7 votes [8.75%])

Percentage of vote: 8.75%

7. Voted I like them on other peoples cars (6 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

8. Voted You would have to pay me to put one on my car (4 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Im with Matty Brett and Clint on this one.

I have TOY-202 for the LJ and 05-OFT on the Harley Softail, Used to have 92-ZZR on my 92 ZZR..Am thinking about getting 74-BOX for the LH....Will if i dont sell it.

They definitely add character to the vehicle and name them.

If i or one of my mates gets talking to a random person about cars, and "That TOY-202 Torana" gets brought up, it makes me think it was money well spent on that one.

Plus they look a shitload better.

Anyone who says they dont add aesthetic appeal, im sorry, but you sirs are something i shouldn't call you on a public forum..

Cheers.

#27 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

And by the way...I like TINKERS plates

Me too :)

#28 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

Custom and coloured? No thanks. Subtle "in series" plates that only some will recognise - sure! I got a laugh when a few years ago the little old lady receptionist at the transmission shop recognised UFO 454 for what it was. I guess even hoons become little old ladies.

#29 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

Ive got TO.72.RY

I made my content fit into the standard format simply because Im too cheap to pay $600 a year to have full custom content plates!

These cost me $80 a year, and to me make it a bit more personal.

Ive got to agree about the "AVL2NV" type plates, bit of a wank job.

Ive also got to say that MRLXSS is the gayest number plate ever stamped, bloke that drives it is a total poofter! :P

#30 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Saw a funny one a couple of months back coming out of Greenslopes hospital "BUM DR" on some big 500 series merc....

#31 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Ive also got to say that MRLXSS is the gayest number plate ever stamped, bloke that drives it is a total poofter! :P

Yeah, I heard that too... some say he is a 'dream'er

#32 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

:surrenderwave:

I give up, im in fits of laughter here.

I wanted to get

EWE-00T

for the ute, but karlie told me it was stupid and no one would get it... :(

#33 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

I got personalised plates cause the maroon and white, or old green and white plates here in QLD look crap on a nice car.
I wanted Black and white which would've cost me the $295(i think??) just to have the ones that they gave me changed colour. It just so happened that I found OLX760 was available when I went to buy them which suits my 76 LX SS perfectly.
+ I got a $50 supercheap voucher when I bought them so they really only cost me $245.
I'm glad QLD transport don't charge you each year to keep the plates!

#34 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

I still can't believe that some states charge an annual fee, that's pretty harsh. I doubt I would keep mine if I had to pay extra fees each year.. but it depends how much the fees are I guess.

Prior to getting my custom plates, and back when my car was just a wee little 202, I got hold of these standard issue plates.. pretty subtle, but anyone with half a clue twigged on pretty quick.. I wish I had of kept them and hung them up on a wall..

Posted Image

#35 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

I like the personal plates, & i will have them on all my cars eventually. [regardless of what she thinks]

There is a local 'mover & shaker' with prestige plates on his car. He has had them for years. He has also had a long succession of sweet rides, from muscle to prestige to supercars. It's good to be able to keep up with his trends, because without the plates he would just be another driver.

#36 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

I like custom plates. They should describe the car in some kind of interesting/humorous way, or just be a funny statement. I wouldn't have custom plates with a first name, or stating the obvious about the car like "77LXSS", in the same way that I wouldn't put a title like that on a project thread, or call myself that on the forum. But hey, each to their own lol.

I paid $299 for my standard layout custom plates "BBQ-202", and for the right car, I would pay about a grand for a good set of plates. Like if you are spending $25k building a car that has some proper character that you're gonna keep for a while, and you can get some witty, appropriate, colour matched plates that suit it for $800, that's money well spent. Just as important as getting the right width outer lips for your multi-piece wheels so they fill the guards, or getting the ride height to look just right. It isn't necessary on every car, but sometimes it just finishes a car tastefully.

If you're not gonna get custom plates, just get some white on black standard issue plates and I'm happy.

#37 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

i like personalised plates but i think that people get some stupid stuff on them, my car had the plates on it when i bought it (XUI-043) and they have been on it for a long time as they don't attract the annual fee. if i could just pay an outright fee like the old days i would change them to XUI-304 but i'll just keep these ones they'll be fine. My daily driver also has personalised plates on it but they are my initials and D.O.B. and have been on every car of mine since i was 16.

#38 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

My daily driver also has personalised plates on it but they are my initials and D.O.B. and have been on every car of mine since i was 16.

That's what a lot of ppl don't understand. If you buy LXSS personal plates, then they may be good for your LX SS, but they look rather stupid on your VE Clubby!

My suggestion to anyone looking to buy personal plates.... get a conbination which is universal, so you can swap them over to your new car.

#39 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

I'd pay the cash if I could come up with something, and I only had to pay it once. Wouldn't be spending $500 'per year'...

#40 SS hatch

SS hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Was 50 bucks one payment in NT for personilsed plates gives the fellows in jail something todo.That was a couple of years back now.Plus side of things there yours to keep but only regestable in NT.Since moving to WA one sits on me mates shed wall now and the other resides on my bus wall.Im with the people that can use the plates on another car if needed but hundreds of dollars stick it rego is already out of control.

#41 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

WOW! hope i dont fall into the toser-wanker category, maybe the dreamer category.
as i do have a GENUINE reason Posted Image .

i like my personal plates i have, but they are only currently fitted to my vp only because the stink'n RTA still want full price to hold them in NSWPosted Image . but it could have been worst by putting them on the nissan patrol,
also i think they will look great on the car even knowing they sound a bit cony and do state the obvious. which is a lie as it is only a replica anyway.i voted $500 max for plates too except number's (1) & (05).

#42 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

$300 for the plates on the pootrol, best thing for me is, i can now "always" remember the rego number when filling in permit details :tomaatit:

MT

#43 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Gives the car an identity if it is something a bit special too.

#44 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

I toyed with the idea of getting rid of them once.....then gave myself a swift uppercut! I don't really agree with the RTA for charging $400pa for these, but they're a part of the car now..

#45 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Yeah i know its an old thread but i find it interesting people different opinions about personalised plates. As for the duh factor if you have say LX SS i dont think so at all. 99% of the cars around that have SS badges in the grille does that make them SS's? I could be wrong but i would think if you were to spend $530 for LX SS i would think you might have a chance of actually have an original SS as its alot of money to spend on plates. For me as long as its not corney like 2QK4U or CUL8TR im fine with them. In fact i think it adds the final finish with a nice plate. My opinion of course.

#46 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

I'm a bit bias now as i have personal plates, i can't remember what i voted but mine cost $1200 and won them on Ebay, approx $2245 for PPQ if they where available, they say MORTS ( would be nice to have the apostrophe between the T and S) and i can put them on any car i have.

Personal plates also help me recognise friends cars if there are a few cars the same in town.

#47 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

Plates here at not too bad for personalized ones...I've had them on the Torrie every since I first registered it, and had them on my old Oz Charger too the entire time I owned it (I sold it back in Oz and kept the plates at least)

I've been thinking about changing the Torana ones to "TORANA" (not taken here of course) just for something different, but haven't made up my mind yet, lol... (Had even thought about getting A9X for a plate, even though it is not a real one...would be kinda cool to have a plate with only 3 digits on it!)

They are about $90 to get them issued, and like another $30 extra a year or so after that.

#48 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

it never ceases to make me laugh when you see people go and get plates made up and then try to sell them for absolutely ridiculous prices.especially when they substitute 3's for e's etc and all that shit.
and the plates have little or no relevance to what there intended target.they need WANK3R plates.

#49 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

it never ceases to make me laugh when you see people go and get plates made up and then try to sell them for absolutely ridiculous prices.especially when they substitute 3's for e's etc and all that shit.
and the plates have little or no relevance to there intended target.they need WANK3R plates.

#50 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I dont think you can sell them in NSW anymore can you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users