Pardon for unregisterd car

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

I feel your pain, OK so if your car is unregistered you shouldn't be driving it but then what about driving an unregistered vehicle for the purpose of registering it? In NSW if you are caught driving an unregistered vehicle on route to an inspection station, it is up to the discretion of the Police officer if you get booked or not. I found this out the hard way. The nearest rego inspection station to me was two blocks away, on my way there i was pulled over by a passing Police car. Why? I guess flat black V8 Toranas attract attention, even if it's unwanted. Mind you, i could actually see the inspection station from where i was pulled over & i had pre-booked the inspection & the car had only been unregistered for four weeks while i undertook repairs caused from hitting a dalmation at 60kph, however even after pointing all this out the Police officer proceded to book me for 1-unregistered 2- no insurance 3-number plates calculated to decieve. I called the RTA regarding these fines, outlining the reason behind my driving the car etc & they told me they couldn't do anything about it. Tough luck i guess.

#27 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

Waratah and BLACK LH - both of you should be taking it further. �These sorts of clowns/cowboys are not needed anywhere.

I'm sure some of our serving/ex-police members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Grant..

#28 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Waratah and BLACK LH - both of you should be taking it further. �These sorts of clowns/cowboys are not needed anywhere.

I'm sure some of our serving/ex-police members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Grant..

I live in a small town....the behavior i encountered was not someone having a bad day , this was a habit......a way of life.
If I report this its my word against his.I only wish i had access to the voice recorder he activated but since he never advised me of this fact or even realised i was aware, offiacaly it does not exist(he turned it off when he found no drugs i believe) But all i'll do his stir him up if i take further action (possibly his mates as well)
Unfortunatly theres a culture of that in this town.Rob Kerin the former member and premier here described as "small town syndrome" in the city you rarely see the bloke again who you report, where as in a small town you can happen on eachother regular and the officer whose job, family,credibilty is in question aims his frustration at the one he blames (after all if your complaint is rational it means the officer probably is not)
I have to live with that if i go further, i also have to live with no matter what i do from here this person could continue this, it was degrading, demeaning, frightning....... i had to keep telling myself remain calm.....dont bite......dont get smart...... reminding myself how nasty this could get real quick if i did......

#29 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

There are a number of anonymous options mate. �If you felt that way, imagine how some less confident ppl feel, and how many are getting done for no reason cos they bite?

Just an observation mate. �Hope all stays well for you.

Grant..

#30 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Similar sort of thing happened to a bloke I work with.

His wife did a "Fat Pizza" stop at a stop sign....and got booked...fair enough.

In NSW getting booked means they will perform a search on you for fines , warrant etc....it comes back she was unregistered....she protests she had paid it the day before. stiff sh1t...unregistered fine as well...all up fines equaled a years rego. They rang the RTA, they dont tape calls, no data, no proof.

#31 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

There are a number of anonymous options mate.  If you felt that way, imagine how some less confident ppl feel, and how many are getting done for no reason cos they bite?

Just an observation mate.  Hope all stays well for you.

Grant..

Cheers ..

I'm actualy thinking of going straight to a politician about this.Letter to the editor of the local paper. I am positive this guy will have a record of this sought of behavior.......I wonder if we are allowed access to his record as a policeman when he was back home in England? Pretty sure that would show something.
Everyone I know keeps telling me to pursue this for the same reasons you do.....
Having worked in psych I have seen personaly seen and experienced how situations deterioate when someone bites to innapropriate behavior/bullying.
I'm wondering if I could go straight to the civil court over this.......lodge a claim about defamation of character/harrasment with one of those law firms who only charge you if you get a payout.. In the civil court you only have to prove in "most probabilities" this happened where as in a police complaint authority investigation it will get lost as his word against mine as I have to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" this occured.......even if he has a record a mile long!

Similar sort of thing happened to a bloke I work with.

His wife did a "Fat Pizza" stop at a stop sign....and got booked...fair enough.

In NSW getting booked means they will perform a search on you for fines , warrant etc....it comes back she was unregistered....she protests she had paid it the day before. stiff sh1t...unregistered fine as well...all up fines equaled a years rego. They rang the RTA, they dont tape calls, no data, no proof.

Warrant checks are fine in my opinion, takes not very long at all and they dont have the recources to track down everyone with a warrant and this is there oppotunity. Some warrants are for trivial matters and investigating the whereabouts of every accused would be a waste of precious recources..........
RBT I love it when i am brethoed.It means the cops are 1 breath test away from saving a life potentialy, changing a life and not just by car accidents because there removed from the road.RBT's have changed families and lifes by some people realising there drinking was a problem, a symptom of something.......they would be doing other things not just drink driving..RBT can change that.
Being asked if have been in trouble with police before I don't agree with.....i thought we were innocent until proven guilty? can i ask them have you got a record of harresment?...that is biting.............failing there "attitude" test............people have ended up in serios shit failing that.

Edited by waratah, 17 October 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#32 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

I reckon 99% of cops would fail an attitude test...

#33 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

He went back to his car and wrote her up for $288 fine:cry::cry::RIP:

That's not too bad, in NSW you'd get hit up for no rego + no insurance.

If your rego has expired you shouldn't be driving so insurance becomes null and void. Let's say you have an accident, the insurance company will simply say you shouldn't be driving an unregistered car - we ain't paying!

So us here in NSW cop an extra fine for that. All up driving unregistered costs around the $1,000 mark right?

I also got done on my way to get my car registered. I was two blocks away from the RTA, had just put on a driver's door and was taking it in for an inspection to find out what I needed in order to get it registered. I was 17 at the time. The cop said there ain't no way you'll pass rego without a driver's door mirror - fined on the spot and had to get it towed from that spot.

A friend of mine was on his P's, his blacks came in the mail, he didn't get around to paying them and he got done 3 days after his P's expired. He went to court and had his licence disqualified for 18 months. I think being in trouble with the law previously had something to do with it.

In NSW it isn't well known but there's a grace if you haven't clocked up an infringement for 10 years, if you write in a nice letter explaining your error there's a good chance you get a pardon.

s

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

I copped a fine for $850 because my rego ran out while my car was parked on the road out the front of my house. Hadn't driven it for a week.

That's clearly wrong, you should've written a letter to the infringement department, is there a law in SA stating a criminal offence to park an unregistered car in the street?

In NSW if your rego expires it becomes a matter for the council, they give you a notice and timeframe to have your car removed from their street. If it's not being driven, stolen, used in a crime, etc. I believe the police have no concern for it.

s

#35 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

He went back to his car and wrote her up for $288 fine:cry:Posted ImagePosted Image

That's not too bad, in NSW you'd get hit up for no rego + no insurance.

If your rego has expired you shouldn't be driving so insurance becomes null and void. Let's say you have an accident, the insurance company will simply say you shouldn't be driving an unregistered car - we ain't paying!

So us here in NSW cop an extra fine for that. All up driving unregistered costs around the $1,000 mark right?

I also got done on my way to get my car registered. I was two blocks away from the RTA, had just put on a driver's door and was taking it in for an inspection to find out what I needed in order to get it registered. I was 17 at the time. The cop said there ain't no way you'll pass rego without a driver's door mirror - fined on the spot and had to get it towed from that spot.

A friend of mine was on his P's, his blacks came in the mail, he didn't get around to paying them and he got done 3 days after his P's expired. He went to court and had his licence disqualified for 18 months. I think being in trouble with the law previously had something to do with it.

In NSW it isn't well known but there's a grace if you haven't clocked up an infringement for 10 years, if you write in a nice letter explaining your error there's a good chance you get a pardon.

s

isn't that the point?
give them something obvious and easy to fix to pick on at rego inspection so they leave the hard things to fix alone?

#36 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

Being asked if have been in trouble with police before I don't agree with.....i thought we were innocent until proven guilty?

You are innocent but being asked if you've been in trouble is not implying you're guilty. I don't really know all the reasons but it's a standard question for a cop to ask. It's like lesson 1 at rookie school or something.

You say you've worked in psych so why don't you put what you've learned to your advantage? You attract more bees with honey than vinegar right?

I'm always polite with the law, even the nasty ones I've encountered calm down when they see I'm not going to turn on them. Just don't be smug or condescending.

If you've done nothing keep your cool and if they're still nasty and find nothing they walk away looking like the horses arse in the end.

s

#37 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

give them something obvious and easy to fix to pick on at rego inspection so they leave the hard things to fix alone?

LOL, nah I wasn't that scheming. I was 17 at the time and very naive to cars/rego. I'd been defected after 2 months ownership and the car ran out of rego shortly after.

I had fixed everything I was defected for, removed my smashed door with broken mirror and replaced it with another door. I don't think I knew about the mirror as I recall hoping to pass rego. When I finally did make it there with mirror they gave me a new shopping list.

I also hadn't known that once a car is out of rego you can remove the defect sticker - that bastard was placed smack dead centre of the windscreen, I got spotted from miles away with it and done twice for driving without rego. Had I removed it I may have slipped by un-noticed.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 18 October 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#38 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

It seems the NSW police aren't immune from mistakes and these are only the ones where those involved took it further.

Unlawful arrests and police assaults

s

#39 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

I reckon 99% of cops would fail an attitude test...

I think you mean 99% of HWP officers.
General Duties coppers are much nicer ppl and more centered.

And btw it's an offence to park an unregistered vehicle on council property, i.e. the road, not criminal, but still an offence.

Grant..

#40 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

My experience was with a general duties officer...........not that i disagree with the insight into to highway patrol officers( that offers bullies a range of freedoms there instinct attracts to)
Been speakin to many about my recent encounter, everyone is quite shocked. Saw some fellow buffs get quite stirred up as they to had unfortunate experiences with what appears to be the same bloke!
He done a lad for drink driving, despite seeing his car afterwards being obviously driven by the lads father, he pulled it over saying he was checking who was driving, even went to the lads work and told his boss of his conviction and that he cant drive! they put his behaviors down to the officer experiencing the july 2007 bombings and being effected as a result! others say he was just some gung ho balif given greater powers out here
these people were quite animated when recalling this bloke after my enlightment!.
I have decided on a long term stratergy in dealing with this, i have decided in sharing my experiences inside a political party.This was a nail in the coffin so to spealk of various observations of mine.
Though i probably am going to sell the car as i know quite obviously what awaits me when i drive it again...............and i aint lookin forward to running into this bloke again, nor do i get a pleasurable feeling when i see cops

A few things said here hit home strongly,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users