Cheers etorana

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

Yeah but E10 is shit and it will run lean, probably ping and use more fuel and if left untuned will probably blow your head gasket or ruin the head.

If you get the motor tuned to suit E10 then there are other problems such as corrosion in the fuel system fuel to think of.

IMO stick with premium if the choice is there.

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

E10 has been available in Newcastle area for 20 years or so. I used to run it in my WB 1-tonner with red 6cyl (9.5:1 comp) as it used to ping too much on ULP. E10 is higher octane, but you'll use more fuel. I think the reason it used to run better isn't just the octane rating, but because it kept the combustion chambers cleaner. When I pulled the motor down the head was as clean as a whistle.
Also, when I got my Cross8 tuned properly, it was tuned for 95 or E10. Pings and runs rough as guts on ULP, but E10 is fine. Does use about 5-10% more fuel though than on 95.
Having said all that, just use 95 if you have access to it. With additive of course. If you run Ethanol blended fuel you'll need to update all fuel line rubber components to modern stuff, and get it tuned properly as suggested above.

#4 _LEE_

_LEE_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

dont think its that much of a muchness with E10 but ethanol can leave residue also, would recommend not having it sit unused in the fuel tank, lines and carby for extended periods of time. on the cars I use E10 in I will put in a tank of regular every 10 or so tanks for a bit of a flush as such

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

I heard that sometime during the course of 2011 std ULP will be phased out in QLD (don't know about other states, maybe just another Bligh decision :Headbang2:) and replaced with E10, still be able to get premium unleaded though. Can anyone else confirm this?

#6 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

yep ULP is being phased out in NSW, the Mobil where I fill up only has E10, 95 or 98 - i only use 95 or above for my V8 (Gen3) Berlina and only use 98 in the LJ

#7 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

I hope some people don't have E10 confused with E85...........

E10 should have little difference from ULP or 95. RON is higher, and as said you will use more fuel. If you don't ping on ULP you will not ping on E10.
Damage to rubber components is possible, but not common, so keep an eye on em. Alloy components (think carby.....) may suffer from slight corrosion, so keep an eye on em. Make sure you have a resistant needle in the carby if using a rubber tipped one. If you have any cork gaskets, check em after a few hundred kms.

Higher levels of ethanol will suffer from exceedingly higher levels of attack on rubber and certain alloys, requiring wholesale changes to you fuel system. Only a minor tune required to optimise for E10 in older cars - use of E85 requires full scale tune and system changes which makes it almost impossible to run even Premium......
If you already run some additives (Nautilus Outboard Motor oil for example) you will be able to run 95 with additive on the E10 tune.

Ethanol, like any alcohol based/additive fuel should NOT be keep idle in the tank for extended periods, as it will attract and absorb moisture, possibly causing corrosion.

Grant..

#8 etorana

etorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:ss hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

Thanks everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic