Supra 5SPD- 6cyl

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Torana288_

_Torana288_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys, is there an aftermarket x-member available for a supra 5spd into an lx? if not, what do i have to modify to fit it in. I've heard that I will have to shorten the tailshaft to fit it in, is this true? The box was in a 6cyl HZ sedan so i'm hoping it'll just slot in.

Also, who can I get to check/recalibrate the speedo. I've changed the diff ratio from 3.36 to 2.78:1 and i'm not sure how the box will affect this. The speedo is wrong already since I changed ratios

Cheers, Nik

#2 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hey Nik,
Did you get the crossmember from the HZ sedan?
that could be modified to suit the torana, maybe.
Aftermarket ones,
I think that CRS, Dellow and even Mal Woods at Warick may do them.

I am in the process of fitting a Supra to a V8, I have a converted gearbox mount,
Supra to trimatic, came with the gearbox, dont know where does them.

As for shortened driveshaft,
are you using a conversion bellhousing or an adapter plate?
An adapter plate spaces the gearbox back, and may require driveshaft shortening.
Conversion bellhousing should just be able to use standard driveshaft, with a front universal that has the Holden and Toyota caps.

Speedo, not sure,
the previous conversion I did to a Monaro, just went to wreckers, and got different speedo drivers for the toyota gearbox, and experimented till it was close.
Also used a conversion speedo cable Holden to Toyota.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Chris.

#3 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

i have put a celica 5 speed in my LH and i believe the boxes external length and mounting is identical ....

so, having said that i think you will ned a LC/LJ tailshaft, this was perfect length for my LH when using the conversion toyota/holden 6 yoke ....

gearbox crossmembers can be gotten as stated above, i made my own when i did my conversion from an aussie 4 speed/trimatic crossmember, it looks like this:
Posted Image

Bottom
Posted Image

so if your HZ member looks anything like this then you might be in luck ..

as for the speedo, i guess if you can get gears for the supra to replace the bit inside the box then thats your best option, i know the screw on drive gear for the speedo cable on the box can be removed and has a gear on the end of it, i don't know if supra is the same though.

also, if the clutch from the HZ is hydraulic, then you may need to mount that to the firewall with an adaptor, hopefully though you have a linkage setup or something that will work as the hydraulic setups are heavy as!

#4 _Torana288_

_Torana288_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:26 PM

Cheers for that. Contacted CRS today and they have X-members available for Supra into LX/LH which is cool.

They also sent me a price for a gearbox adapter, which I assume is like a plate-type adapter.

Will just have to find the time to service the box and fit it now!

Thanks again.

Nik

#5 _Toran the Carbarian_

_Toran the Carbarian_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hey Nik
Do you mind me asking what CRS were charging for the bellhousing and xmember

Cheers
Max
Sydney

#6 _Torana288_

_Torana288_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

gday max,

yeah they said $105 for the x-member, and a gearbox adapter is $38.50, plus postage of course. I've already got the bell housing, think its a dellow unit so i didn't get a price for that.

hope that helps mate. the details they left me were

Sales
The Castlemaine Rod Shop
Phone: 03 5472 2853 Orders
Fax: 03 5472 1241

or Email Sales on [email protected]

later. Nik

#7 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

i have one of those crossmembers sitting around gathering dust!

PM me if ya want it mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users