Thermofan Support Frame

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

I probably could have just run two bars across but I didn't! Also doubles as an undercover bull bar/radiator support protector.

Posted Image

Should have been finished, but some genius decided it would be nice to remove all the mill scale off the steel, by hand with a file. Glad I did though, even though it nearly killed me.

Bit more welding, grinding and painting, but looking promising.

Made it because I didn't want to run those clips through the nice new radiator core!!! Just bolts to the back of the radiator via the side rails.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 12 September 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

The other good news is that my 20 year old Makita Drill, made in England, not China, got a new set of brushes. They are still available as a standard stock item.

Love my old drill. Bought it when Hammer Drill as an option was rare. Seems to be standard these days!!!

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

Top idea having a support frame for the fans, Bruce built one when he made my car, makes life easy and no making holes through the rad core to secure them.
As a bonus the frame is a good place to hide the wiring if desired.

Cheers
Al.

#4 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Looks alot more professional than the one I made up. Plus it looks like it will be no problem to integrate a shroud.

Posted Image

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

You joking NZ Stato? That looks pretty tidy. The whole time I was building mine, I was saying, you know you could just two two bars running across the radiator!!! My frame lines up with the solid part around the edge of the radiator, so yes I could make a sheet metal shroud for it down the track.

Note to self: Don't TIG on the floor with loose fitting long sleeve shirt untucked. Results in bad burns to the sensitive fat gut (keg, single cell power pack, awning over the toolbox, whatever you want to call it). Can result in poor performance in bed and issues with the complaints department.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 13 September 2010 - 09:23 PM.

#6 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

Yea but I like the thought that has gone into your one, maybe I'll steal the idea...:rockon:.

Sucks about hitting ya gut with the welding splatter, I feel your pain. I really need to invest in some new welding gloves, the back of my left hand looks like it's got a rash from all the little welding burns.

Edited by nzstato, 14 September 2010 - 06:51 AM.

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

Feel free to steal, but only if you make an improvement on it.

Yeah, specially when you can get a new set of gloves for less than $20.

With TIG it isn't splatter, it's just sunburn from the UV light. You no the sore kind of welding sunburn.... Couldn't believe it. Must not have got much, but it doesn't usually see much sun, so yeah, ouch.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 14 September 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#8 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Hmmm, to improve on perfection.... mount on the front for an intercooler=big arse turbo....

I've heard of people getting the UV burns so imagine its not pretty, though its pretty funny if you can now be known as pink bits, hahaha...:nudie:

#9 _toranajohn_

_toranajohn_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

hi is there a shroud that can be found at wreckers that will fit or come close to fitting with some modifications be it ford or holden and jap thanks . i have a single fan with no shroud, would it be better to fit a shroud to mine (single)or go twin fans doesnt overheatin winter but can stuggle on a hot day ..are these the ba ford twin thermo's

Edited by toranajohn, 14 September 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#10 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

^ I was thinking of just folding up my own out of sheet metal. Just need to use the rollers at TAFE to do break out the round bit where the fans are to give it some shape and strength.

Mmm, I was going to do a shroud to keep it a bit hotter on the highway. Are you running a V8? If so, I think Davis Craig recommend 2 x 14" fans (that's what I have). I don't know what they recommend for the other engine sizes.

^ My car has the same problems at the moment. I actually think it is blocked cores on the radiator, so I'm fixing the same problem you have by fitting a new radiator.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 14 September 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#11 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

here is the one i made for mine out of ally, works really well, and seals to the radiator by a rubber strip
Posted Image

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

^ That's an interesting idea 2wild4u, I might borrow that down the track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users