#1 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

G'day all. Well its been a long time coming and its still in the build process but I thought it was about time to share some the build up of my home made spray booth / dust room. Before I get too far into it I want thank a few people that have helped in the build and will benefit from the finished product. Firstly I would like to thank a mate of mine 'Matt' for supplying all the cool room panels. Matt dropped them off and didn't want any money for them so thanks buddy. I would like thank a couple of forum members for being there with an extra set hands when I needed it so thanks goes to Wayne (2ELCS) and Rob (Rob350hatch), thanks guys.

This booth has been put together in my shed in one of the 6 bays that make up my shed. As some might know I have a number of Torana projects in the build and I thought it would be better to build a booth at home to try and save money and time moving my cars around to the painters and everything can be done in house (or shed). I'm very happy with the way its coming along with the only problem being that it may be a little narrow to do larger cars but I may have found a way to solve that problem with a set of wheel dollies which will let me move the cars from side to side if need be. The dimensions of standard booth is usually 7x4 metres internal measurement. The best I can do here due to purlin location is an internal measurement of 7x3100. As I said a little narrow but hey as I said before 'beggar's can't be chooser's'. I did a fair bit research before deciding which way to go and I finally decided on a semi down draught style set up. With that it will have an intake fan and filters in the room above the front doors and an exhaust fan and filters in the end wall. This booth will double as a dust room where all the filler work will take place as I don't want to get dust through the shed. What I'll so is when the body work is done I'll hose the booth out which will then double as a paint booth. I'm going to use the best filters I can to keep dust and fumes down as much as possible. Anyway enough talk, have a look at the pics and see what I've done and if anyone can offer any suggestions along the way then PLEASE feel free to voice your opinions.

It all started when my good mate Matty rang and said that he was pulling out an old cool room from a restaurant that he was renovating and asked if I could use the old panels. Of course I jumped at the chance and in a few days I had a heap of 2700x1200 75mm and 3000x1200 150mm thick freezer panels stacked in the yard. Posted Image

Posted Image

I then decided that the booth was going to be built in an end bay for ease of access.
Posted Image

I then had to set out the side walls and work out where the upright purlins were going to be set out. I ran a string line to make sure things were nice and straight.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I want to use the top of the booth for storage so I don't waste any space I had to build a pretty sturdy frame and I had to reinforce the end wall to take some weight. I bought all the purlins from ebay bit by bit as a time.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the set out of the side purlins I worked it out that the joins in the walls will have a purlin behind each join. I cut the ends off some of the panels and layed them on the floor to help measure out the length of the walls.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I spaced the roof joists at 410 centres to strengthen things up a bit. The roof purlins are 150's
Posted Image

The first panels I put into place was then end wall where the exhaust filters are going to be. Before putting the panels up I filled the walls with roof ceiling batts. I then put the panels up and started building the framework for the filters and exhaust stack.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

Looking good bud??

#3 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

lookin very professional so far :) spewin about the width, could you not cut a hole in the side of your shed and extend that side 1m?

#4 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Looks great, keep up the good work.

#5 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

As I need to keep everything in the shed I had to build the exhaust stack on top of the filters. I went and got a laminated bench top and cut it down and put it on top of the filters which allows me to have a bench inside the booth. I then cut a hole in the top and built the stack into the bench top.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then build a cover for the exhaust to clean the inside up a bit and to help keep the noise down.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The length of the exhaust worked out really well as it sits about 50ml from the roof.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the end wall and frames were done I started putting up the side walls. The first one I did was the one that will have an access door. I placed a door up against the panel and then traced around it and cut the door out.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then started putting up the walls one at a time and as I went along I cut out the openings for the fluro lights. This took some time as not only did I have to measure and cut the holes but I had to scrub each panel to clean them up a bit. I used a scouring pad and detergent.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

hope its wide enough for an xb coupe!!!!! lol

Edited by rob350hatch, 13 September 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#7 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

As the other have said mate, bloody great work :spoton:

#8 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

Once the walls went up I started fitting some lights in the roof.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitting the lights in the walls took some time and I had to make up a heap of brackets to hold the lights in the wall.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the fan that will mounted above the booth.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well that's it for now. Next up I'm going to make the entry doors. Coming soon.

#9 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

bloody excellent. love to build one myself. be wary of working around those panels they can have a tendancy to catch fire if heated or sparked to much. went to work at a factory recently and they got me to fill out forms cos i wanted to drill through those panels. said they lost a factory once cos of it.

#10 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

Yella can sense a sleep-over in Bargo coming up, BYO spray gun.

Where did you grab the fans? Are they single phase?

Nice job.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 13 September 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#11 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Looks great Ruts

#12 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

Awesome, great work

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Do the lights have to be completely sealed from the booth? so you dont ignite any fumes?

Other booths ive seen the booth is fully sealed but with clear "windows" and the lights are mounted on the outside...

Like I said im not sure but just checking.

#14 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

For legalities and more importantly safety, the fluoros will need to be sealed from the inside of the booth, and only accesible from outside.
There are other considerations such as distance from any opening door.
The motor on the exhaust should also be flameproof rated.

#15 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

Some serious work for ones backyard shed to paint 1,2 or even 5 cars and with an extraction fan that big you are serious all I can say is how do the hydroponics work :tease:
All in all great job ...like to see how the first project goes

#16 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

The lights should be set up with laminated glass covers,
with air tight gaskets on the booth side,
and can be vented to the outside of the booth to reduce heat.
Cheers
Chris.

#17 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Yella can sense a sleep-over in Bargo coming up, BYO spray gun.

Where did you grab the fans? Are they single phase?

Nice job.

Mate the fans are 3 phase and will be wired up with the hoist that is next to the booth. I got the fans from ebay. When I got the exhaust stacks I also got another fan with an external motor so if anyone wants a booth fan they can have it for $200.

hope its wide enough for an xb coupe!!!!! lol

WHAT COUPE???. I don't know anyone with an XB coupe nor do I !!!! lol

Edited by Ruts, 14 September 2010 - 05:33 PM.

#18 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

For legalities and more importantly safety, the fluoros will need to be sealed from the inside of the booth, and only accesible from outside.
There are other considerations such as distance from any opening door.
The motor on the exhaust should also be flameproof rated.

All the lights will have safety glass over them and will be sealed. The fan is from a truck spray booth and is flame proof. It tool me some time to find the correct fan.

#19 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

Maaaate.....Buddddy.......Paaaaaaaaaaaaaal...Posted Image

Nice work.

#20 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

WOW, I can't believe it's been so long since I posted on this thread it must been time for an update. Well I went to Sema last year and since returning I have been as keen as mustard to build a few cars. But before I get into them full steam ahead I need this room finished to keep the mess down in the shed and not pi$$ the neighbours off. So far I have put the timber roof on so that I could fill the roof with foam. Once the foam is in the roof it will be sheeted with fibre cement sheets which will then be painted white. The wiring has been done for the side lighting which had to be done before putting the foam in the roof.

Here is the roof with the foam cut and placed in between the roof joists, believe me this took a while
Posted Image

I then went to Campbelltown cool rooms and purchased all the aluminium U channel and corners.
Posted Image

You can see in this picture a piece of the cool room standing in the U channel. This channel will used around edges of the doors and the door frames.
Posted Image

Well that was a quick update for now but watch this space as I want to have this finished within the next month or so.

#21 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Very nice indeed.

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Looks like I just scored a complete, operational, gas fired booth.... for free.... must be removed by us, thats the only catch.

Its going to be a handy bugger!

#23 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Looks like I just scored a complete, operational, gas fired booth.... for free.... must be removed by us, thats the only catch.

Its going to be a handy bugger!

Good stuff, do you have somewhere to put it?. I have to get myself a gas burner and try to work out how to heat the room. I have natural gas at the house so I'll get a gas line run to shed.

#24 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Looks awesome Ruts you've done a fine job. You are going to get some new friends I bet :clap:

#25 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Good stuff, do you have somewhere to put it?. I have to get myself a gas burner and try to work out how to heat the room. I have natural gas at the house so I'll get a gas line run to shed.

Think about this one carefully, you may need an air/air heat exchanger to ensure there is no possibility of you providing an ignition source.

And please ensure your Hazardous Area qualified Electrician uses an Ex d compound filled barrier gland on the “flameproof motor”.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users