• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _LX_SSnatch_

_LX_SSnatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hey everyone

I am posting this cauz i need advice
I am 17, a 1st apprentice so i dont get paid the best but im going to start a rebuild on a 202 that i will put together bit by bit ova time cauz the 202 ive got in my UC hatch now wont last much longer.

im looking in to building a kick ass, tuff 202.
So im looking for some specs on wat will make a 202 really rocket
So if some of u know wat internals will make her move plz let me know

Cheers Matt

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

better off buying one that is done and rebuilding that one...cheaper.

Its in a UC so you are hamstrung from the start...it won't pass rego unless it has functioning emissions gear....that doesn't mean you can't make it go hard.

I bought a 208 off ebay for $60

you could change to a blue motor or:

you want a yella terra head,

2 1/4 -2 1/2 inch exhaust,

a little bit bigger than stock cam (don't go too big..no point having a cam that works from 3000 to 6500 when it cant rev over 5000)

you don't want to waste all your dough only to find you can't get rego.

#3 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

Nice!

But be prepared for alot of expenses to build a worked 6, it all adds up!

I bought my hot 6 already worked and with all the goods with 10k kms. next time im going to build it myself. but i saved alot of money and got a real quick motor.

I would start off with a blue engine, they have stronger internals, and im sure you can pick up one for under 200buks complete.

get it all balanced, and a bigish cam, i have a 32/74 its lumpy, sounds great, and very drivable (kinda :<_<: , with the right diff gears), some flat top pistons . my 202 revs to 6k like nothing, it could even go higher.

find a yella terra head, the head is a pretty important performance part, so you are gonna want a good one.

gud luck and have fun!

,Nathan

#4 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

Right Matt,

I've built a pretty hot six for my LC, Which I have ran a 13.5@101mph, It goes very very well for a little six and is built to be revved, It'll hit 7000 revs in all gears except 5th as I haven't been game to keep it going and yes it does still make power at 7000 RPM. It has got a 12 second pass in it it's just fiddling.

I have spent around $3,500 with out carbies, Im running 45mm Dellortoes which you can pick up if your lucky for around $1000.

Let me know if you want the specs and I'll PM them to you with rough estimates on costs...

Keep the sixs alive and show them SS Commy's and STi's Whose Boss

Cheers

Les

#5 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

202 turbo or better again a nissan RB30

#6 _LX_SSnatch_

_LX_SSnatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

Thanx Guys

FASTEHHOLDEN- no problems on rego, she already has rego and no pollution gear on it

nothin against blue motors but personally i rather the red motors, its a red motor in the car now so i think i will stay with the red aswell. i will run a fully balanced, blue printed, blue motor crank.

MRLCTORANA- wat head u running?, im going to get a RED 202 head rigged up as a mate at work knows the mechanic that works for Victor Bray! SIC

Wat are Flat Tops worth these days and ive chose a 30/70 Crow Cam

LAKESIDE- i love the turbo idea but for now ill stay naturally aspirated

YES I AGREE, KEEP THE SIXS ALIVE!!!

Thanx for the info guys, keep the good info coming

Cheers Matt

#7 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

Hey guys, Knoth PM'd me for the specs of my motor so I thought i'd just put them here for all.

Matt - I know it may be hard to steer away from a red motor, but it depends what you want, The blue motors have a better crank, bigger clutch plate on the flywheel, stronger rods and better flowing head in the 12 port. Another advantage of the blue is with the better rods it also runs bigger conrod bolts which is a must if you want to rev the thing. Personally i'd go with a blue motor if I was building something tough, Otherwise for a nice streeter with not too much grunt a red might do fine.

You can use the blue motor rods and flywheel, but I'd rather run a 12 port head than the 9 so why not go blue and get the better crank aswell. My Head is a stage 3 12 port yella terra head shaved .060 thou and with the ports taken out to match the gasket and manifolds, also running 1.5 ratio yella terra rollers.

Mine was built fairly cheaply but I think and it helped knowing a few people in the business. The motor has been awesome so far, it has done about 6000km and I haven't had any problems with it yet, only needing 24 volts to start the thing for the first time. It rev's pretty hard and pulls strong past 7000 rpm, On the burnout pad once the revs are up in 3rd gear and you give it a quick dab it shoots straight up to around 7500 rpm which sounds pretty awesome.

Here's the Specs

Blue 202 Block, Acid Dipped, Crack Tested, Bored 0.030", Decked 0.004".
Crank Ground, Polished
ACL Race Series Bearings and Moly Rings
Starfire Rods, Hypertek Flat Top HQ race pistons 0.030"
High Energy Sump
39/79 Solid Crow Cam and Lifters, Works from around 3500 - 7000
Crow Straight Cut timing Gear
VK Electronic Distributor
Stage 3 Blue Motor Yella Terra Head, Matchported, Polished and shaved 0.060"
Yella Terra Roller Rockers 1:5 ratio
45mm Dellortos on matchported Redline manifold
Pacemaker Extractors, Matchported, into 2 1/2in exhaust with 3 inch sidepipe.

They were the Specs of the motor when it ran the 13.5 second 1/4. Sinces then I've added,
a Yella Terra Steel Explosion Proof Lightened Flywheel,
Pro-Comp Multiple Spark Ignition Unit,
Pro-Comp PC-91 Coil
and now have a set of 8 inch slicks so I may get some traction. The Carbies have also finally been tuned as they were way out when i had it at the track so hopefully with this I can drop a bit more off the 13.5 and sneak into a 12 second pass.

Cheers

Les

Edited by mrlctorana, 02 May 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#8 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

Sounds awesome mate. any chance of grabbing us a video, or a sound clip?

Cheers.

#9 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yeah mate, In the members Section...

Les

#10 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Car:1970 LC GTR

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

Just about the cam you have chosen, it is a nice step for a basic rebuild to get a bit more power if your going to use a larger carby but it is still pretty mild, I am running the same cam but about to change for a larger one as im not happy with the performance and it doesnt pull well in the higher revs.

Cheers Matt

#11 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:09 AM

Slightly on topic. What are Yella Terra Heads? I know what Yella Terra brand roller rockers are.. but a head? Is it a complete custom head (ie throw away the old one)?
Are they expensive?

Same questino kinda for when people say 'stage 3 head' or whatver?

Please excuse my newbieness. I'm only new to mechanics!

Edited by smeer, 04 May 2006 - 12:11 AM.

#12 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Just about the cam you have chosen, it is a nice step for a basic rebuild to get a bit more power if your going to use a larger carby but it is still pretty mild, I am running the same cam but about to change for a larger one as im not happy with the performance and it doesnt pull well in the higher revs.

Cheers Matt

i reckon you'd get more advantages out of a bit more head work than a bigger cam ....

the 30/70 in my opinion is about as big as you want to go for a street motor .... but like i said, thats just my opinion.

#13 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

the best 9port you can afford, cam and good pipes. I have a 300hp 202, pretty stock, good head, cam, custom pipes and a set of CD2's. I have spent near $2500 to rebuild the bottom end, and it's still in bits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users