45 replies to this topic

#1 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

Hey Guys, How many times have you been told to slow down or stop speeding around town. Funny though, Whenver I look at the speedo it always reads around 25mph (50 Zone). I live in a tiny town, only about 2000 people and there is pretty much no where to drive around town with out going out onto the highway and 30 odd kms to the next town....

Heres the situation, I've just got my tailshaft back from being balanced and taking the LC for a ride to see if has any vibrations. Im putting around town as I always do, It's 50 kph all round town, and I sit on 25 mph as it sit nice there, and 3rd is to tall to drive around without speeding. So im driving along and this guy shakes his fist and yells out "Slow Down" as he usually does :wtf: Im doing 40kph for #$%@ Sake. This same guy threw a rock at my mates parents Hilux and put a big dent in the Door.

So I go down the road, turn around and pull up at his house to his surprise, I asked him politely what he said and he fires up and goes on about how im always speeding up the road and he's got my number and hes gunna get the cops onto me and all this other Bull@h!t :banghead: How he's sick an tired of me and all the other hoons driving up and down making a noise, This is at 4:30pm by the way :angry: I tried to tell him but you think he'd listen, Yet the other bloke standing next to me agreed with me that I wasn't speeding. When I got back into the car after screaming, yelling and arguing with the bloke I had to hold myself back from Dropping a big ass wheelie right in front of his house :rockon: But then he'd win. But i couldn't hold back from giving it a few big revs, and then putting off slowly down the road,

Just to clarify I've had my car back on the road for a week now after the last 6 months it had sat in the shed as the 9 inch conversion and some other mods were goin on. So while I played with the timing and carbies and a minor brake problem I done a few test runs around town and then out the road, so three days in a row I drove past his house maybe twice on one of the days, doing no more than 40-45kph and not accelerating to get to this speed either.

Im sick and tired as the car isn't really very loud, and I know for a fact that I haven't been speeding, I've never had a speeding ticket for speeding in town and never been booked for anything whatsoever in my Torana!!!! I know I can't get away with being a dickhead around town otherwise I will get booked, I go out the road if i have to aswell as race at the drags so I have no need to do anything around town.

PHEWWWW, Take a breath,

Have to say though If he dares thow ANYTHING at my car She'll be on!!!!!

Cheers, Im going to have a beer.....

Les

#2 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

He must've stereotyped you or something, making false presumptions like a devils advocate.

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

man thats rough....your right i'd be getting very very annoyed at that aswell. incase he does throw something at you...well all i can say is i hope you got a bit better self controll than i do otherwise you will spend a few years in a 4x8 cell!!!

#4 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

you know the TORANAs are a hoons" cars STEREOTYPING!

you get that alot even if you drive them slow .

but I also get alot of old guys i mean 70 80 years old say, nice torry mate i
use to have one of them ? you get the good and the bad

:burnout: cheers dave.......

#5 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

He's jealous of your car.
Has emotional issues.
Or is a complete nutjob.

One of those generalisations should match.

If you're young, maybe he's pissed off that you're young and have a cool car and he didnt when he was your age, and probably still doesn't.

but I also get alot of old guys i mean 70 80 years old say, nice torry mate i
use to have one of them ? you get the good and the bad

I agree with this :)

I was taking out a couple of girls to town that I had just met and at the end of the night they had to ask me why so many people were coming up and complimenting my car and asking me things about it etc.
( It was probably a record for one night and so much attention - I counted 11 different people at different locations come up to the car! one even came running up from the sidewalk while I was stopped at lights to quickly chat and compliment! )
But I've had old guys at lights yell out and compliment the car, couple ask if they mind if I take a picture and so on etc.

I've had some hooootttt chicks, who, to my surprise knew what type of car it was and were impressed by it and the sound and start up convo as I pulled into a carpark etc.

Guys hang out the window and yell 'nice torry' or you can hear drunks while going through the city yell to their mates right next to em "checkout the torry!" and so on.

And I'm sure my car isn't the only one who get's this kind of attention!
The old girls definately get it and they also get alot of negative attention (police, jealous people etc.)
The good comes with the bad I guess :)

Edited by Loki, 01 May 2006 - 07:39 PM.

#6 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

Unfortunately some small towns have some small minded people. Sounds like you just met one of those people who have too much time on their hands and can only criticise others (He's probably very insecure in other personal areas as well.) Don't worry about him, enjoy your car and have fun, Regards Mick.

#7 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

Take your mufflers off and go do some doghies out the front of his house :furious:

#8 _RCK-914_

_RCK-914_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

He's proberly jelous, play him at his own game next time you see him do something wrong on the road report the prick, it works both ways.

Cheers Chris

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

I think every town just about has one of those, a self appointed wanna-be traffic cop lol

Thats part of the problem with owning a Torana (minor problem I know) they have a name as a hoons car... I still get 'do a burnout' every time some young bloke spots my car.

Cheers
Herne

#10 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

I would have thought that the old hoon image of the Torana would have died out by now.

#11 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

Loki: Its a top feeling isnt it!! I get much the same kind of attention no matter where i go in the HQ! It feels nice that MOST people likea nd respect your car what what youve done to it!!

On the other hand, Yep stereotypes are rife amongst the screaming minority and its theese hippie greenies who will ruin it for you.

May i suggest that you give the police a call, and make a complaint that you were verbally harassed by this "upstanding citizen" and that you have heard that the guy has actually damaged a passing car by throwing a rock ( unsubstantiated claim maybe.. but if its put on record... Even better if you could get the victin to make a formal statement about the rock throwing!!).

This would at least get it on record before he does and make the powers that be understand that he seems to be a serial antagonist and that his future "Reports" are filled with hatered and malice and biased view, Not based on facts.

Does anyone NOW understand why I am so dead against the laws that were discussed ( brought in!?!?!) wehre by people can make an accusation by signing a statement to the police that they witnessed a "Hoon" doing something illegal!? Dont you think that this type of "citizen" who obviously is so bitter and twisted at the whole world, would take great glee in ruining your life/hobby because he now can legally!?

Les.. You did well mate. Having a word to him was good.. and NOT dropping a patch was the best thing you could possibly do mate! Well done to you ( I dont know wether i would have had the self control!!)

Cheers

#12 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Now is he a sook, thats stereotyping isnt it? :rockon:

#13 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

thats nothing to worry about !!!!!

i took the drag car out the other night around the block and saw about 6 front porch lights come on in the neighbourhood.
maybe they thought they had visitors !!!!!

hire a monster truck and chew his front lawn up , silly old fart ..

seriously only joking ...

#14 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Cheers Guys, Thanks for the Comments, I've had a few beers now and settled down, Totally agree with you guys about most people respecting our cars as is generally the case, although there are other idiots out there who steriotype you as a hoon.

I've actually got my car on video at one at one of the runs where a bloke heard us taking off and ran over to watch, You can hear him say "Gota Love the Old Torry's" on the video as we drive past the camera.

Tiny - Thanks for the advice Big Fella, Going to the cop shop straight after work tomorrow just to have a chat about some stuff, Nan and Pop across the road also suggested to do this just in case he does do something stupid.

Torana482hp - How fun would that be, there not much room, but I could do it and thats exactly what I felt Like doing tonight, But MUST control it.

Loki - I think you hit the nail on the head mate with all three, "He's jealous of your car, Has emotional issues, And is a complete nutjob"

lxsstorana - Mick, Definately enjoying my car now mate, she's so close to how I want it to be, Got a run coming up on the weekend with a heap of other enthusiests and can't wait, First run the old girls been on for about 9 months so it's gunna be awesome.

Thanks Guys

Les

#15 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

Unfortunately some small towns have some small minded people. 

Oh boy,
I also have experienced this type of crap!
My car, [like many on this forum] really stands out in
traffic. My car is also geared very tall [2.78 diff], so 60k's
is best held cruising in 2nd. I will admit that it may sound
like it's travelling faster, however i almost always obey speed
limits. So to have some ignoramous hurl abuse at me for, at
worst having a menacing exhaust note, THEN today.... witnessed
some F*#!kwitt in an AU Falcon (silent exhaust) travelling at atleast
120kph in a 60 zone through busy beachside holiday traffic, children
and pedestrians everywhere. So my question is who is the bigger
danger to your loved ones???? At least people can hear me coming!!!

On the other hand, we can't drive my car without receiving many thumbs
up and other positive signals, comments and stares. So thats enough
appreciation for me to ignore the IDIOTS! ......stereotypes are very
hard to shake :rolleyes:

#16 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:15 AM

The majority of the time when I take my gtr out I would get encouraging comments & thumbs up at the lights or questions about the car.There is an old bloke that must hate my gtr as when I drive past his house he gives me filthy looks yet doesn't even bat an eyelid when I go past in my vt ss which is louder than the gtr.Most of the time I don't have any problems but there is always someone who thinks your a hoon because you drive a torana.

#17 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

I suppose thats the best part of being a little older you dont seem to cop that sort of shite.

#18 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

Maybe his girl/wife ran away with a Torana owner because he was such a loser and he never got over it.

#19 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:27 AM

definately get it on record with the cops. He spent too much time watching the sullivans, Mrs Jessop!!!!
Good on u fro fronting up 2 him.

#20 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

Tiny - Definately, it's great having something you own that others like to admire :)

My only concern is, ever since I put my worker 308 in I've had ALOT more people tailgating me alot harder as though to say "move it - common you got a v8 you can go faster move!"

Who do these people think they are? Of course I can go faster, and go faster than and get there quicker than they, I can. But just because I can doesn't mean I want to.

Especially in traffic. It's really beginning to piss me off, Commonwhore's and XR6/8's and middle-aged wankers are the worst offenders, I put it down to the same thing as the OP's problem - Jealousy that a young bloke has a tough sounding old Torry that receives more attention than their Dunnywhore.

Oh, and Red SS Commodore Drivers are the worst :P :tease:

Edited by Loki, 02 May 2006 - 04:11 PM.

#21 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

OK Went to the Cop shop, Got a real good bloke. I told him i didn't want anything done about it but he's written it down and told me if I have any hassels to just come back and they will go and see him. Good news is the bloke that lives across the road to him always gives me a wave or thumbs up when I go past, and hes said I've never sped past there :spoton: The officer had a bit of a laugh when I told him i was only in second gear when i wen't past and then he said "Ah must be a little loud", Not that it worried him at all. So all is good now.

Loki - Know exactly what you mean, I find ricers pretty bad

Cheers

Les

#22 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

Being an older gent certainly has some good sides. You just have to remember how much fun we older folk had on the Launceston run a few weeks ago.

Do what has been suggested and have a chat with the police. They would be sure to know your car by now and be watching, especially if they haven't been able to book you. And the west coast towns are small - was going to say villages but that wouldn't be the right thing to do - if you know what I mean. Being rugged west coast people and all.

Just be sure to wave to the old codger as you pass his house slowly. Sure that would p him off even more.

#23 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

LOL, Cheers Dave... Villages, hehe, thought that was pretty funny. Was definately a lot of fun on the Launceston run, Strained the brain a bit much though after the night I had, lol. Went out on the town for the night and got locked outta the hotel room so three of us slept on the doorstep from 4am to 8am until we got into our room, While our our mate who was so drunk he could hear us banging on the door had a good nights sleep, hehe, Oh well.

Guess it may be different I was an older looking fella, I'll just keep smiling at him and give him a wave back when he shakes his fist at me, hehe.

Les

#24 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

see the exhaust you have. Try putting a longer one on it. Then the old man might stop. That lc would by noise as and wouldn't pass a RWC with it, dosn't pass the boot space.
Posted Image

#25 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

see the exhaust you have. Try putting a longer one on it. Then the old man might stop. That lc would by noise as and wouldn't pass a RWC with it, dosn't pass the boot space.

It only has to pass the rear-most opening window AFAIK, but Tassie rules may differ.

For the reference, that exhaust has just been replaced with something similar (so I doubt he's gonna change it again), and that exhaust would be pointing away from that stupid old man who I predict would be on the left, lol!

Anyway, I get the feeling it's legal down there coz you wouldn't last long with something that obvious if it wasn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users