front end

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

hi i am trying to put a v8 into an lx torana and it doesnt fit i am out by about 30mm for the engine mounts to fit with in the chassis rails. is there two types of chasis subframes ? v8 verses 6 i am guessing i might have a 6 clyinder subframe if theres a difference and is there a way of over coming this problem without changing crosmembers?any help would be appreciated. thankyou

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

star fire 4cly, 6cly, V8 used one type and opal 4cyl used a different type.

#3 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hi thankyou for getting back to me, if thats the case why want my 308 go into the sub frame of what had a 6 in it? the motor i got came out of an lx so i have the same engine mounts but its 30mm wider than the subframe opening. i have 4 other front sub frames and they to measure the same. is there different engine spacers to compensate?
any help would be great thanks

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:59 PM

If it came out of an LX it should bolt straight back in

Maybe some pics of what you mean.. showing engine bay and mounts and block brackets

#5 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi thanks for replying, the engine did come out of an lx but is going into a different lx and it doesnt fit into the cross member of my new lx. its like the cross member mounts need to be slightly higher up on the cross member 15mm on each side to match the width of the engine mounts attached to the block. i an unable to take photos before the weekend so can not show photos at this stage sorry, hope this helps
thanks

#6 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

What does the frame in the donar car measure?

#7 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Hi thanks for replying, the engine did come out of an lx but is going into a different lx and it doesnt fit into the cross member of my new lx. its like the cross member mounts need to be slightly higher up on the cross member 15mm on each side to match the width of the engine mounts attached to the block. i an unable to take photos before the weekend so can not show photos at this stage sorry, hope this helps
thanks

what came out of the car you trying to put it in?
a 253/308 will fit anywhere a 202 or red motored 6 etc fits as the mounts on the body are the same
you either have a opel subframe or it has been moddified to fit a vn motor or something

#8 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

What does the frame in the donar car measure?

Hi it measures 44cm from the holes on the cross member and the v8 with mounts on measures 47cm (mounting holes) i have tried forcing it down but can not compress the mounts up enough to drop into position.

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Are the mounts on the right way?

#10 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

thanks

what came out of the car you trying to put it in?
a 253/308 will fit anywhere a 202 or red motored 6 etc fits as the mounts on the body are the same
you either have a opel subframe or it has been moddified to fit a vn motor or something

Hi, according to my rego papers it had a 202 in it . the motor i got came out of a lx and is a 308 i have kept the engine mounts on the 308 so i thought it should just drop in but i can not get it in, to fit into position i am 30mm wider than the cross member mounts i have tried one side at the time and both sides at once but can not force it into the frame. that is why i was questioning if there is a v8 cross member as some one had told me i would have to get a v8 cross member and i thought they were all the same.

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

It is sounding like you have an opal x member, even tho it may have had a 202 at one stage, people have been known to mod 202 mounts to fit the x member.
I would advise getting the correct x member if this is the case.

#12 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

Or the car the 308 came out of had modified mounts

Pics...........

#13 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

The engine mounts could be on up side down , if they have the safety hooks on them they need to be inwards toward the sump. Putting them on the other way widens them .

#14 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

pm me your email address i can send you pics of the mounts and crossmember mounts off a stato
showing what your looking for

#15 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:58 PM

Hi thanks for that i will check tomorrow and see if i have them the right way around and hope its that simple to fix the problem will keep you posted cheers!

#16 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hi thanks for that i will check tomorrow and see if i have them the right way around and hope its that simple to fix the problem will keep you posted cheers!

did you find the problem??

#17 _Nic_

_Nic_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hi yes i did thanks, the engine is now in, we had the engine mounts up side down couldnt beleive thats all it was. i guess this happens when you are under a lot of presure to get it finished on time. any way i now have 4 days left that i can work on this car to finish it for a car show over here at the end of the month so its going to be really close i can see some really late nights coming up!!!!

#18 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi yes i did thanks, the engine is now in, we had the engine mounts up side down couldnt beleive thats all it was. i guess this happens when you are under a lot of presure to get it finished on time. any way i now have 4 days left that i can work on this car to finish it for a car show over here at the end of the month so its going to be really close i can see some really late nights coming up!!!!

i thought so , i did that once myself .I know whats its like to have no free time , my Torana is supposed to be finished last April. haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users