need advice for my diff conversion

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

your completly right. i got hi tuf axels for 650 all up icluding bearings. there not billet but there not std second handers either.

what width are you running ?? did you look into different commodore/skyline axles??

#27 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

What the big deal with having the top mount welded onto the centre housing not on the tubes, have you looked into VL commmodore axles

Its the opposite - welding to the cast steel centre isn't as easy as welding to the axle tubes, so its simpler to get maximum contact with the axle tubes evenly for both sides. Not an issue if welded correctly though anyway

for the length you chasing they are shorter than the VN commmodores by how much not sure, another way is VK commodore salisbury 28 spline they are shorter than the VL commodore ones by how much I cant answer that.

The Salisbury isn't so simple because the cast ears on the centre are in the way

#28 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

The issue here is that someone its confident enough to weld cast iron to mild steel. What I should of said was the axle lenghts in a VK salisbury is shorter than whats in a VL commodore.

#29 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

The Salisbury axles are equal length, the VL will have one shorter and one longer

The centre section of the Borg Warner is cast steel (not iron), its just the difference in thickness that's an issue when welding

#30 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

The pinion offset with a VN diff with two short axels wouldn't be much different from the R31 diff conversion I could imagine.

I have not had any problems with the r31 diff.

Will be watching this thread closely.

Youngy

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

The Skyline axles are still unequal length, but (from memory) there is a lot less difference between them than there is between Commodore axles

#32 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

ok , so this is the plan , standard vn diff is 1565mm long, the long axle is exactly 95 mm longer than the short one. So i will remove 95mm from the long side of the housing that will give me an overall width of 1470mm, then as the spline on the axle is longer than its counterpart inside the spider gear ,it seems that 10mm can be safely removed from the passenger side short axle and another 10mm from the housing,reducing the amount that the pinion moves over and giving me an overall width of around 1460mm , 20mm wider than the standard Torana width.

#33 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

The Skyline axles are still unequal length, but (from memory) there is a lot less difference between them than there is between Commodore axles

i think you might be right , it looks like Rory's r31 diff in the picture looks like it is fairly even on the axle tubes (a little bit over to one side). If i was to shorten both sides evenly the passenger side mount would end up mostly on the cast centre.file:///C:/Users/user1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png

#34 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

well its all done thanks to Ian at Kreative Enterprises i am very pleased with the outcome . 95mm taken off the long side , 10mm taken off the short side thus moving the pinion back towards the passenger side a tad , i now have commodore stud pattern, commodore disc brakes, cheap (albeit not indestructible) internals, the best thing is i got out of this conversion for not much over a grand. housings were free, $700 to swap mounts and shorten both sides and the axle, $300 for a tight recoed lsd hemisphere, $155 3.45-1 gear set, $110 for diff bearings and seals. The pinion has moved over around 30mm but isn't that noticeable . I will endeavor to put some pics up when i can . Just have to get the tailshaft made and she's done...

#35 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

Nice, how did you shorten the axle 95mm?

#36 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Nice, how did you shorten the axle 95mm?

sorry i wasn't clear enough, the axle is standard commodore short axle fitted to the long side and the housing was shortened 95mm on that side , the short side axle had 10mm taken of it and 10mm off the housing . if an axle happens to fail its a simple trip to the wreckers for a new one and no re-splines or custom $500 axles. I will post up the pictures of it fitted to my car soon so everyone can see the pinion offset.

Edited by robslxhatch, 15 November 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#37 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

That is basically what is normally done with the VN commodore conversion, short axle becomes the long one, this shortens the diff approx 20mm.

#38 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

.pics soon.

Edited by robslxhatch, 15 November 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#39 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

That is basically what is normally done with the VN commodore conversion, short axle becomes the long one, this shortens the diff approx 20mm.

huh??? commodore diff is 1565mm minus the difference between long and short axle length is 95mm ,this brings the width to 1470mm which is 30mm WIDER than a standard Torana diff , then knock 10mm off the other side and you end up with 1460mm . this is probably the minimum width you can go without having to move the shocky mounts.
Posted Image

Edited by robslxhatch, 15 November 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#40 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

checking the gear patterns
Posted Image
this is where the pinion sits in the tunnel
Posted Image

Edited by robslxhatch, 15 November 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#41 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

all bolted in
Posted Image

#42 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

Are you going to fit the panhard rod? The Fitzpatrick Morris car has a really neat way of fitting it without welding the bracket to the frame of the car. Very neat. I plan to do mine that way. Happy to share pics if you are interested.

#43 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

^ I'm interested

#44 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

Are you going to fit the panhard rod? The Fitzpatrick Morris car has a really neat way of fitting it without welding the bracket to the frame of the car. Very neat. I plan to do mine that way. Happy to share pics if you are interested.

Yes please mate , the reason i dont have the panhard mount on the diff is because it interfered with the lower mount . I still have the mount for use as soon as i work out where i want to put it.

#45 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

What length are your axles?

I may have been wrong on the 20mm as we done mine over 10yr ago, but I do know it is 20mm narrower than it should be as I remember we needed another 10mm to use the old short axle as the new long one.
Richard at craft diffs helped me with mine, it was only the second one done at that time.
To save cutting and spline both axles the diff was narrowed as far as possible.

FYI standard HQ offset 7 and 8 inch rims fit nicely with it.

#46 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

i dont remember the total length off hand , but the short commo axle is 12mm longer than the Tory ones. I am hoping to run a 15 by 8 " rim on the rear if possible so thats good to know , I have a 15x7 on there at the moment and it looks like i could fit wider without dramas.
did you run disc brakes and if so did you have to move your lower shock mounts ?? do you remember what the total width of your diff was???

Edited by robslxhatch, 17 November 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#47 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

Diff flange to diff flange is approx 1290 and the centre is offset approx 30mm to the N/S.

#48 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

Rob???

#49 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

Sorry I've been away. Here goes, note also rear facing sway bar!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't forget crush tubes when you drill through the chassis frame.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 20 November 2010 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users