tank fabricators in esperance wa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _uc304_

_uc304_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

i have drawn up plans for an 85lt drop tank that fits in the departure angle and if i get the alloy and cut it all out i need someone in esperance to weld it all up. the car needs to get licenced so it has to be certified i think. i have heared that it needs to be built by a certified tank builder and others say as long as its built a certain way its ok and it doesnt matter who builds it. does any one know exactly what the rules are regarding tank building in wa and if there is a certified tank buuilder in esperance.

cheeres
cameron.

#2 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

I would try hellfire boats as for the tank being certified im not sure but given that they make tanks for the Aluminium boats they may know.

#3 _ripitup5000_

_ripitup5000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

Gday Mate,as long as your tank meets the Austrailian design rules( ADR 17/00) you will be right.I build them for Torana,s,monaro,s,1 tonners,gt,s for street/race and custom tanks for other performance cars as well,you can give me a call if ya want any info,0404923810

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

It depends on where you go in WA for registration. Some inspection centres will pass a tank without an engineers report and will not check the departure angle.

In WA under the NCOP, fuel tank alteration or replacement fuel tanks require approval code LM1. Approval code LM1 requires an engineer to complete the Fuel Tank Alteration Checklist LM1 on page 10 which specifies the departure angle (1.7) but does not have a requirement for a manufacturers stamp. The LM1 checklist does specify welding by a qualified tradesperson (4.1).

You should check that your design complies with the checklist on page 10 of the NCOP9_Section_LM_Fuel_Systems_3feb2006.pdf

I know of a least one car that was knocked back for registration at the Welshpool pits because the new fuel tank did not have a manufacturers stamp. The tank was made locally by a registered manufacturer so it was just a simple matter of having the tank stamped. The requirement is specified in the Nations Street Rod Manual in section 8. This may be what is causing confusion at the inspection centres.

My advice would be to check with your licensing inspection centre. If they insist on a manufacturers stamp then ask where this requirement is specified in the NCOP.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 14 October 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#5 _uc304_

_uc304_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

cheers guys for the help. i know people that can weld up a tank but just wasnt sure about the rules. i think i will just make one and when it goes over the pits it will hopefully pass.

#6 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

I bought my car in N.S.W and it spent its whole life in the country so when the previous owner of 17 yrs put the drop tank in he 'just knew the guy at the local transport' so all was good with the tank.
When i bought it and tried to register it here in Perth they knocked me back as it didnt have any stamp or engineers report for it. I tried at Midland and Welshpool BTW. There is an engineer in midland that is more than reasonable and will check out your tank, take pics ect. As long as it is solid and held in place well and passes depature angle he will sort you out the papers to take back to transport.
Goodluck!

Edited by LH8VD69, 15 January 2011 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users