Connecting hoses from Canister

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

Can someone please tell me if I have the canister hoses connected correctly?

I am not sure what the Purge connector is used for. I have followed the connection set up as per my LH.

The car is a July 1977 LX.

I have a hose from the Purge connector via the PVC and onto the carby. I have the hose to Tank which is correct. And a hose from the Carby connector to carby.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Any help will be appreciated.

#2 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

Looks like you have the "Purge" connected to full vacuum. The hose marked "Purge" is fitted to the ported vacuum on the carb, the front lower right hand side corner on the HZ so could be the same on the LX. The "Carb" was fitted to the top of the carby over the fuel bowl on the 202's etc. but the V8's may have been capped from the factory, not 100% sure.

#3 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Looks like you have the "Purge" connected to full vacuum. The hose marked "Purge" is fitted to the ported vacuum on the carb, the front lower right hand side corner on the HZ so could be the same on the LX. The "Carb" was fitted to the top of the carby over the fuel bowl on the 202's etc. but the V8's may have been capped from the factory, not 100% sure.

Thanks warrenm. What you are saying is that the Carb connector on the canister will need to be capped. Also I will check where the Purge hose is going to the carby. Also it seams that I will need to change the hose so that it goes from PCV direct to carby. Thanks

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

^ as above. The two barrel carby has a fuel bowl vent that is connected to the carb port on the cannister. The four barrel carb does not have the fuel bowl vent so the carb port on the canister is blocked off. On the four barrel carb the cannister only stores vapour from the fuel tank. On the two barrel carb the cannister stores vapour from the fuel tank and from the carby float bowl.

The pictures from the parts manual are the earlier version which did not include the vacuum advance control system.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This looks like the correct setup.
http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/130897-1-a9x-hatch-produced

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 October 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#5 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hi 1ARC

the above diagrams are of ADR27 and NOT ADR27a.

One thing that I did notice in your pics is that the TCS Solenoid is on the wrong side of the motor.

There are some pics on this thread that should show you what I am talking about..
http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=47396&st=0

This is the set up for ADR27a for the 5.0lt motor
Posted Image

This is the set up for ADR27a for the 4.2lt motor
Posted Image

Hope it helps.

cheers
Mick

#6 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

Hi 1ARC

the above diagrams are of ADR27 and NOT ADR27a.

One thing that I did notice in your pics is that the TCS Solenoid is on the wrong side of the motor.

There are some pics on this thread that should show you what I am talking about..
http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=47396&st=0

This is the set up for ADR27a for the 5.0lt motor
Posted Image

This is the set up for ADR27a for the 4.2lt motor
Posted Image

Hope it helps.

cheers
Mick

Thanks sstorana. The main reasons why the the TCS Solenoid is on the wrong side of the motor is the wiring harness I purchased forced me to place it where I did. This is another issue that I have had during the project and that is what ever you buy needs to be modified or reengineered. Also because the intake manifold is not orginal I had the place the coil it the stop that the TCS Solenoid would have gone.

I don't see that this will have an effect on the running of the engine but if I wrong please let me know.

I now believe that I need to change the hoses so that the CARB connector on the canister is capped and that the Purge goes directly to carby as does the PCV hose.

Thanks for your help.

John

#7 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

In the above diagram it displays a vacume delay valve. Where can I get one from and is it needed?

#8 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks sstorana. The main reasons why the the TCS Solenoid is on the wrong side of the motor is the wiring harness I purchased forced me to place it where I did. This is another issue that I have had during the project and that is what ever you buy needs to be modified or reengineered. Also because the intake manifold is not orginal I had the place the coil it the stop that the TCS Solenoid would have gone.

I don't see that this will have an effect on the running of the engine but if I wrong please let me know.

I now believe that I need to change the hoses so that the CARB connector on the canister is capped and that the Purge goes directly to carby as does the PCV hose.

Thanks for your help.

John

No Probs John,

I take it you brought the loom off the guy on Ebay.. I've got one of his looms as well.. It's a pity that he's not open to the fact that the emission wiring is in the wrong position, but he obvoiusly knows better than us...

If it is connected in all the correct spots, it should work fine. I am looking at getting the vacuum delay valve remade but they are a long way off.. if they get done at all.. there is alot involved in these little buggers!

cheers
Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users