detroit locker

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _rynsaardt_

_rynsaardt_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi does anyone know or has anyone put a detroit locker in an lj standard banjo housing apparently it can be done, what center do i look for really appreciate any tips/info.

#2 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

would it have coarse axles? dont quote me on this, but wont the locker snap coarse axles like toothpicks? maybe someone else with more knowledge can state otherwise?

#3 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

dont like your chances of getting a locker to suit a bangoes, they used to be avalible back in the day but I doubt any one still makes them now.
If you do manage to find one you better order a pair of billet axles to match.

#4 _rynsaardt_

_rynsaardt_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks lads ill ask around

#5 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi does anyone know or has anyone put a detroit locker in an lj standard banjo housing apparently it can be done, what center do i look for really appreciate any tips/info.

I have this setup in my LJ xu1, the Detroit locker came in the car as part of its Group C race setup. Having had a recent couple of rounds with some others on this forum over ID rivets and dodgy tags that apparently my car must have I will discuss this with you offline only rather than drive the wise one(S) into another feeding frenzy. It can be done, you can buy one easily, and my car has had the coarse spline original modded to a fine spline setup .
PM me with your email address and I will get back to you with factual info.

#6 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

I have this setup in my LJ xu1, the Detroit locker came in the car as part of its Group C race setup. Having had a recent couple of rounds with some others on this forum over ID rivets and dodgy tags that apparently my car must have I will discuss this with you offline only rather than drive the wise one(S) into another feeding frenzy. It can be done, you can buy one easily, and my car has had the coarse spline original modded to a fine spline setup .
PM me with your email address and I will get back to you with factual info.

I knew the locker centers used to be availible back when the old banjo was in every holden and used in the race cars, but I didnt think any one would still be doing them for the old girls now days thou.

Can you just put the name of the supplier here for any one interested in one for there car.

#7 _rynsaardt_

_rynsaardt_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

Yeah mate that would be great my email is [email protected]. someone told me theres a bloke out my way doing them keith croft, think he races them was gonna give him a shot, but yeah mate anythin you can throw at me go for it. thanks

#8 _rynsaardt_

_rynsaardt_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

dunno if that last one went through, [email protected]. that be great thanks.

#9 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

Yeah mate that would be great my email is [email protected]. someone told me theres a bloke out my way doing them keith croft, think he races them was gonna give him a shot, but yeah mate anythin you can throw at me go for it. thanks

Give Keith a ring he does a lot of modifications for the LC/LJ Toranas and he will sell you a Detroit Locker if you want one. A nice bloke also..

#10 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Give Keith a ring he does a lot of modifications for the LC/LJ Toranas and he will sell you a Detroit Locker if you want one. A nice bloke also..

Keith Croft at Croft fabrications is the man to talk to. Not able to find the price list he sent me but i do recall had a lot of bits on there for the Group NC racers for LC/LJ. He is a nice helpfull guy to talk to, from memory in Oakville NSW he will come up on Google. He certainly has Detroit Lockers on his price list

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

Keith Croft at Croft fabrications is the man to talk to. Not able to find the price list he sent me but i do recall had a lot of bits on there for the Group NC racers for LC/LJ. He is a nice helpfull guy to talk to, from memory in Oakville NSW he will come up on Google. He certainly has Detroit Lockers on his price list

Had no luck with google, do you have a link?

Edited by TerrA LX, 11 November 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#12 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

hi a detroit locker centre will bolt straight into any holden banjo housing, the carrier is the same

if this is what your asking, there was a course spline locker on e bay couple of days ago sold for 800.00

if u are looking for a locker centre i have 2 fine spline detroit lockers and 1 harrop solid centre fine spline which were used in the v8 f/5000 bob jane torana

to suit a banjo housing,

regards aldo

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Harrop make a full spool for a banjo?

#14 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

Keith will make a locker new to suit any application,any axel combo .Can be contacted on 0245736418.

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

Harrop make a full spool for a banjo?

Any competent engineering shop will make you a full spool for anything upto several hundred dollars

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

I know of another place that apparently keeps full spools for banjos on the shelf. Just wasn't aware there were too many other options.

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

Last quote I had was around $500 for a banjo.
I would be interested in a locker at the right price.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I was told about $550 earlier this year for a banjo full spool.

I think.

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

If you can melt alloy they are not hard to make a back yard one.

#20 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

CIG locker is cheaper! :3gears:

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

I'm pretty keen on hearing more about all of this. Are these lockers the same style as the original ones (which I have never actually seen), and does anyone have photos of one?

#22 _TJ355_

_TJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

Keith is a top bloke and seems to know his stuff

#23 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm pretty keen on hearing more about all of this. Are these lockers the same style as the original ones (which I have never actually seen), and does anyone have photos of one?

Heath,

following are 3 photos of a fine spline banjo locker centre which was on ebay some time ago. It was claimed to be an original Ex-HDT item and someone wanted it bad because it brought $3k.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

I thought brand new banjo lockers were around $1200?

#25 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hi yep thats a genuine detroit locker, 3k wow thats good coin, they were allways worth around 1500 to 2000, no good for street cars

i still have 3 spares from the bob jane formula 5000 car

regards aldo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users