The Vintage Go Kart

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

I have had this for a while now but have only just started getting things together, that and i had to clean out the garage to make room for it!

It is a Forum members Grandfathers Go Kart, If he wants to make himself known he can.

Posted Image

She has been hacked up abit the front steering setup is from a ride on as are the wheels all around, but the majority of it is still as it was back in the day.

I believe it is called a K.K. Special, Made in Mascott NSW by General Engineering Sales pty ltd, American designed but Australian Made. Roughly 1958 which makes it one of the first Karts in Australia. It ran a mcculloch MC10 Engine originally from what has been worked out so far, But they ran alot of different engines including Victas. I have picked up a sponsor for it who has supplied a very Early Victa engine which has been bored out 40thou and they have also supplied a new piston and a gasket kit for it. www.outdoorking.com for all your petrol powered outdoor equipment needs.

The Kart will be used in Static Displays and will also do Display laps to show just how far Karts have come.

I will get some pics of the engine and get them up.

Cheers Josh

#2 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

Are you restoring it Woodsy ,or leaving it as it is?

Looks pretty cool.

#3 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

It will be restored, Looking like its original colour was yellow, the hardest and most expensive part is the wheels as they are like rocking horse poo.

There isn't much to them compared to current Karts should be good when its finished, hopefully i can get this little Victa to scream its head off!

#4 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Do you have a pic of genuine rims?

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

I had one something like this as a kid, front wheel kept loosening so I swapped it for a Honda monkey, wish I still had that bike.

#6 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

cool looking kart, do you have any pictures of a complete one? is there much more to it like fairings?

#7 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

Here is a Pic of one type of KK Special, probably a later model than the one i have. Best pic i have of the wheels Sorry craig. I love the wings on the KK.
Posted Image

Here is one in Action, Looks identical.
Posted Image

Thats the best photos i have unfortunately as there are no photos of a KK Special anywhere.

No fairings etc to this one, there may of been a number mounted on the front bar but cant confirm that.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

My father made a go kart for one of my brothers about 40 years ago. It now runs a 90cc postie bike engine and 3 speed box. Not all that fast, but a lot of fun.

#9 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:33 PM

hehehe I love karts!

Even underpowered, you learn how to get the best out of it. Good luck!

#10 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

Yeah my old Kart would do 120kph down the main straight at Newcastle, somehow i think this one might be just a tad slower.. lol

#11 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

pffft....throw a bigger motor in it then

#12 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

They did come out with twin and even tripple engines, that would of been fun.

#13 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...eQ5fCarQ5fParts

#14 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

oooo on my watch list now

#15 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

strap a XR 600 donk to it or if your real keen hit the bike wreckers and pick up a cheap R1 and strap in to it Posted Image

#16 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

If it was just a hack i would happily put a bike motor on it. But its got racing Heritage and Family Heritage so it deserves to be restored.

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

#18 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Haha yeh i seen that

#19 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

strap a XR 600 donk to it or if your real keen hit the bike wreckers and pick up a cheap R1 and strap in to it Posted Image

OK ...its me :badabing:

As the previous owner I was prepared to stick an XT 600 motor I had into it...but they are monsterous and would have required massive lengthening...so I put a pocket bike engine in it and rode it up the street a couple of times.

Full credit to Josh and the mission he has taken on....He has done massive ring arounds and managed to find out a fair whack of info...some of it I can recall now he has told me.

The stuff I have managed to find out since Josh has had the kart is that my Grandfathers Brother in law was a bit of a businessman....and in the late 60's bought a few karts in Sydney and drove them out to Lake Cargelligo and Condobolin trying to sell them and set up a kart racing series....it sort of fizzled but occasionally they would lap around the "Rec" oval at Lake Cargelligo.

The massive and coincidental bummer is that there is a sister kart to this one. This ones frame is pretty good...the sister kart is rotten but has the wheels on it...but the son of the owner has a friend who is into karting and vintage karts...and it was given to an enthusiast 1 month before Josh got this one.....I am yet to chase the son (my mums cousin) about this.

Rumour has it there is a 3rd kart out there...but the odds of it surviving are slim...and the owner long dead...so it would be a case of trying to find a relo that knows where it might be.

#20 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

sh*t hey i hope you can track down all 3 of them and get them restored back to new. a big credit to Josh for taking on the full resto, sounds like its gonna be pretty full on Posted Image

#21 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

The BEAST!!!
Posted Image

Edited by Woodsy, 29 November 2010 - 10:18 PM.

#22 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Any ideas on getting the Piston out?... Looks like someone has already had a go at it.
Posted Image

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

Undo the conrod from the crank to start with...

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Oxy.....

Cheers.

#25 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

heat it up in an oven then bash frOck out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users