Weekend Projects

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _Big Fella_

_Big Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hey guys, I thought i'd start this thread regarding Weekend projects.
We all have those 1 or 2 day projects that we do from time to time.
So this thread is for mine(and anybody elses small projects) that don't deserve a thread of their own.

On that note, post away, show me your small projects and odd jobs around the shed.
Inspire me to finish some of my projects.

I put my dodge up on the hoist the other day to check and few things and found an interesting discovery.
The Right hand front castor rod bush support(next to the mount) was heavily corroded.

Posted Image

It has already had a repair done previous to me buying the car 10 years ago,but this wasn't really doing much.
Posted Image

So i got out the wire brush and got busy, by the time i was finished, there wasn't much left.

Posted Image

Next up was the grinder, a few delicate cuts later and most of the rust was gone.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I made some cardboard templates of the pieces that i needed then cut them out of 3mm plate.

Posted Image

These plates were then tack welded into place, then they were completely welded up.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Out came the grinder again to smooth things down and blend it all in.

Posted Image
Posted Image

All of the inside has been heavily fish oiled, and then the outside has been sprayed in Gm underbody rubberised sound deadener.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And thats it, repair taken care of, it isn't the prettiest, but neither is the car!

Edited by Big Fella, 20 November 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

Goop hides a multitude of sins. :spoton:

#3 _Big Fella_

_Big Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:27 PM

While i had the dodge on the hoist and the MiG welder out, i decided to look at the exhaust.
The dodge has always run diff dumpers and straight thru mufflers, but the old 2 inch press bent system was getting old,
and the points where it was bent, were very squashed.

Posted Image

So i decided to replace the system with 21/4 mandrel bent sections, still using the same mufflers
(lukey straight thru 2 an a quarter inch) but added in some hot dogs to get rid of the annoying pops and crackles.
You can see the difference in pipe size here.

Posted Image

and here, with the passenger side replaced, and the old system on the drivers side.

Posted Image

and finally, both sides replaced, suprisingly the car isn't any louder but it does have a nicer, more polished note now.
And it flows alot better, it feels like it's gained some power (on my "seat of the pants" dyno)

Posted Image

#4 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

that left exhaust looks close to the tailshaft! maybe its just the pic.. speaking of which, do you have any pics of the dodge?

#5 _Big Fella_

_Big Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

And my final project for this weekend.
A tyre rack, I'm sick of having tyre stacks in the corner of the shed, so i made a tyre rack on wheels.
I had the 2 ends, from the crate my hoist came in and bout some 2m lengths of angle iron. some spare castor wheels and a couple of mins.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It's much easier to move 20 tyres around now, i must admit tho, it is fairly heavy and i probably should have used thicker angle iron.

#6 _Big Fella_

_Big Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

that left exhaust looks close to the tailshaft! maybe its just the pic.. speaking of which, do you have any pics of the dodge?

that left pipe has about 10mm clearance to the shaft in that pic, but this is at full suspension travel, the diff is hanging in that pick (it drops about 10 inches compared to ride height)
Once the car is on the ground and the tailshaft moves up, there is about 50-60mm of clearance.

And of course i have pics of the dodge

Posted Image
Posted Image

And this is how she looks this weekend for the Yankallila Street Machine cruise, Given her a bit of an old skool, nostalgia look.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Big Fella, 20 November 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#7 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

Nice dodge, year before my old mans ;)

#8 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

a sunday cruiser for wife
Posted Image
By null at 2010-12-16
Posted Image
By null at 2010-12-16

painted this for a young fella in a couple of days
Posted Image
By null at 2010-11-13
Posted Image
By null at 2010-11-13

found this cheap and doing full rebuild
Posted Image
By null at 2010-10-16
Posted Image
By null at 2010-12-11

and this thing im slowly doing for my 4 yr old boy
Posted Image
By null at 2010-12-19

Edited by wblje, 19 December 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#9 _Big Fella_

_Big Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

thats the spiritmate. Nothin like mulitple projects to keep ya busy

#10 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

im with ya big fella. i dont intentionally go looking for so many projects its just timing and things coming up at a good dollar. i dont mind working between them with the little time i have cos i always come back fresh to hit it hard again. the lj and caravan will get some time this week as neither will cost me money due to materials laying around.........however i am keen to build a bull bar for my 1 tonner......enter another week end project.

love ya dodge. would be a nice car to cruise in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users