trade a vh for an lh?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

hi everyone, haven't posted here in a while. anyway i found an lh torry with a 202 and 4 spd painted a dark red, beige-ish vinyl interior.
the owner was interested in trading for my vh commy (white, 253, trimatic, beige/brown trim) but i'm wondering if it would be worth it?
i know this is a torry forum (biased :P) but thought i'd ask anyway.

lh pros:
regoed
driveable on pplates
red not white
easy and cheap to modify
manual

lh cons:
older than vh
202 probably worse on fuel than 253
small amount of rust
interior showing its age

vh pros:
v8
auto easy to drive on l's
have lots of parts for it
already slightly modded
probably handles better
quicker

vh cons:
v8 may not be driveable on ps
needs abit of work for rego
if i get rid of it i'll have a pile of parts with no use
cop target

what do you think?

#2 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

pros One of them is a torana
cons One of them is a commodore

seriously, i think you have to decide for yourself on whatever is better for you personally and finacially. I have a commodore ute and a couple of toranas, but for reliability the newer commodore shits over the toranas. But the toranas have style, something a commodore will never have.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

Commodores are so boring...
At least with a Torana, every drive's an adventure; you don't know what's gonna fvck up next!

#4 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:54 PM

Mmmm the Bon Scott I remember would definitely be a Torana driver rather than a Commodore driver. :rolleyes: Highway to hell would sound much tougher out of the speakers in a Torana. Fuel economy similar perhaps better in the Torana. I would say lets swap if you can provide me with a certificate of road worthiness. Then you are on the road with a car increasing in value rather than decreasing. When you have had enough upgrade.

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:33 PM

I agree with all that has been said so far! You are lucky! ur could sell the torry for more than the VH would b worth! Post some pics to give us a better indication

#6 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

Pro's-Torana's are going up in value
Cons-umm cant think of any

#7 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:08 AM

If you already know how to drive then learning manual will be a piece of cake. It just comes down to practise..at 1am in the morning on a weekday =D. I'd go the torry. The interior is easily fixed, throw some covers over it and your off. If you find any rust multiply that area by 10 then ask yourself if this car is worth fixing. Since its already rego'd you'd be much better off getting it. :party:

#8 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

Get the Torrie!!!

A manual 202 would probly feel more powerful then a stock auto 253.

:spoton:

#9 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:31 AM

pros One of them is a torana
cons One of them is a commodore

Commodores are so boring...

jeez we aren't biased on here are we :<_<:
toranavista, perhaps you are forgetting the line from 'rocker':
'blue suede shoes, lorex socks, V8 CAR, and tattoos' :D

i'm going to go look at it first then decide.
my next problem is how do i get the vh from tahmoor to charlestown (approx 180km) unregoed?

heres a few pics:

http://img428.images...6934/car8qx.jpg

http://img359.images...6/cd12sb1qe.jpg

http://img359.images...4/4012sb5qu.jpg

thanks for the advice everyone

#10 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

so much potential in the torana. look at all the nice LH's on this site and im sure youll bite the towing fee :spoton:

#11 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:24 AM

i don't have anything to tow it with :(

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:25 AM

It is a torana forum so you know what our preference would be.If you can get your p's with the v8 keep it,if you can't get the torry.If you do the swap you might be able to get a pass from the RTA or whoever it is for your state to drive your car there to do the swap.I drive a vt ss so I don't have to worry about my gtr everyday so I guess you know what I prefer.

#13 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:13 AM

gtrboyy, i know that, i put up a similar post on the street commodores forum expecting 90% 'keep the commy' replies.
its better to get both sides, biased or not. and its far more useful to ask on a torry or commy forum than a gemi forum :P

i've thought about applying for an exemption early to see if i could get one if i keep it. problem with waiting a year and a bit is its another year of fuel prices going up and v8s becoming worthless.
i've emailed the rta about how i can transport it, so we'll see what happens.

#14 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:07 AM

Just get whichever you think will be suitable for you,my first torana (lx 202 4spd) used less petrol than the vh sl/x wagon I had,only other difference was the tyres & diffs I went through on the torana but that problem was fixed after I read the gregorys manual that said "revise driving habits" lol.

#15 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned pull the 253 outta the commodore and put it in the LH!
Surely a 253 would be under the power:weight/displacement P law in NSW? (253 being the largest IIRC?)

"253, consumption and sound of an 8, power of a 6" I've always heard.
Remember, fuel consumption will be connected to two things.
Your right foot and the carby!

The way I see it champ, V8's are a dying due to fuel expenditures - If you've always wanted one, better get one now before we're driving electric cars that sound like bee hives.

If power is your concern, then remember that the 202 powered Torana is lighter and probably isn't much slower than the 253 powered commodore (if at all).

Best of all I think gtrboyy said it, get whichever you think will suit you personally (and your personality!).

::My only opinion for thought food::
The torry sure will command more respect and attention than the commodore; which would probably only be noticed for it's v8 note.

Edited by Loki, 07 May 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#16 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:19 AM

toranavista, perhaps you are forgetting the line from 'rocker':
'blue suede shoes, lorex socks, V8 CAR, and tattoos' :D

Nice pick up :D BTW its Lurex socks to be politically correct. I think if you were wearing the Lurex socks whilst driving the Torana then the omission of the v8 would be acceptable. :rockon:

#17 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

if your in NSW it doesnt matter what power to weight there is unlike vic road rules. v8 could be nething from 50kw to 250kw same goes with turbo engines even if its trying to make the most out of a paltry 1000cc engine. (due to new amendments theyve taken the daihatsu charade off the ban list and a couple of others). the new laws are a joke. P platers can drive a 180kw 4 cylinder s2000 but you cant drive a 253 commodore.

if you were SERIOUSLY worried about fuel consumption youd be driving neither cars in the near future, granny driving or not theyre both monsters.

#18 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

I have an L34 and a VH SL/E 253 Auto.

The Torana is basic with less things to go wrong but some parts are difficult to find if you want originality, one good thing is that some parts carried through to Commodore production or were common to HQ-Z cars, for a custom car there is not really a problem.
They were only built for 6 years from 74 to 80 in conjunction with the HQ-HZ.
There are less ADR emission rules to comply with so changing cams, compression, carbies etc is less of an obstacle.
There are plenty of aftermarket parts or engine swap options for the red six.
Toranas don't have power steering.
Not many Toranas have factory air conditioning and some have aftermarket air.
The only EFI available is the VK setup.
You could still get a cheap 253 and 5 speed conversion and bolt it in with the benefits associated with the 253 Commodore engine.
You can fit a flare kit for wider tyres.

The Commodore has more features and were produced for 9 years from 79 to 88 as the large Holden so there are more of them built.
The Commodore interior and dash is better than the Torana.
The 253 Auto is easy to drive and sounds cool, I need bigger pipes and extractors on mine to get a better sound out of it ($1200).
The 253 will rev better with extractors and can benefit from VN style heads and EFI.
Parts for the 253 are common to the 308 so also easy to get.
There are a lot more brake and wheel choices available.
Most Commodores have power steering and air conditioning.

Similar things are size and weight, engine and gearbox choices avaliable, both have street cred, both have collector status and are not very common on the street.

James

Edited by JBM, 07 May 2006 - 01:18 PM.

#19 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:44 PM

that torana looks like its in pretty good nick, I would go the swap. motors and gearboxes are easy to get, I reckon I could get a 253 for under $100 easily. as for transport if its anything like victoria you can get an unregistaired vehicle permit to drive it, there are 2 different types, one for a single trip (town A to town B) or you can get a permit that allows you to drive it around within a certain distance of your house for the purpose of getting a roadworthy or "Testing and Tuning"

#20 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

Just because the Commodore is newer don't expect to be able to buy all parts from GMH. I had a VC 253 (121 sports pack) with the nice bits. eg velour seats with height adjustment, 4 wheels discs, factory alloy wheels, full instrument panel, power steering and was only an S model. Went in to see if I could buy a new demister switch = Nope - NLA. That was more than 10 years ago and at the time the car would have been about 8 years old.

Therefore, various body parts may be just as easy to find for the Torana as for the VH. There was a style change after VH (I think) pretty much the same as LX to UC but a lot of mechanical stuff would be the same.

I traded a SL Hatch in on the VC Commodore and I think the Torana handled better, both had 253 4 speed and 308 diff. Torana was quicker and more economical (with 350 Holley-Commodore had blue motor with Quadrajet) but the VC was a smoother ride and eventually faster. Was sweet after extractors and 2.5" single exhaust were added. Money wise, better value with the Torana - just look and how much VN commodores are worth. Just find out if the Torana is just a boring brown or pretty Persian Sand.

#21 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

Just because the Commodore is newer don't expect to be able to buy all parts from GMH. I had a VC 253 (121 sports pack) with the nice bits. eg velour seats with height adjustment, 4 wheels discs, factory alloy wheels, full instrument panel, power steering and was only an S model. Went in to see if I could buy a new demister switch = Nope - NLA. That was more than 10 years ago and at the time the car would have been about 8 years old.

Therefore, various body parts may be just as easy to find for the Torana as for the VH. There was a style change after VH (I think) pretty much the same as LX to UC but a lot of mechanical stuff would be the same.

I traded a SL Hatch in on the VC Commodore and I think the Torana handled better, both had 253 4 speed and 308 diff. Torana was quicker and more economical (with 350 Holley-Commodore had blue motor with Quadrajet) but the VC was a smoother ride and eventually faster. Was sweet after extractors and 2.5" single exhaust were added. Money wise, better value with the Torana - just look and how much VN commodores are worth. Just find out if the Torana is just a boring brown or pretty Persian Sand.

brown or persian sand?
do you mean the interior or the exterior, because its painted a maroon/burgundy colour.

to me it just seems like a step back because the commy has 4 wheel discs, power steering, aircon that works and is 8 years more advanced than the torry.
i'm going back to the rta for one last try at an exemption before i do anything though.

#22 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Sorry about the mistake with the colour but that would be a pro - better than white - but a good colour on a hatchback. One other problem I had with my VC was that the floor pan under the driver's seat had cracked and I only weigh 80 kilos - I think the seat bolted directly to the floor.

But in the end you have to choose. Both are now old cars, just that one is not quite as old as the other. Don't know a thing about air con but is it compatible with the new gases? Probably cheaper to fix that in a Commodore than to have to do teh same to a Torana.

#23 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

to me it just seems like a step back because the commy has 4 wheel discs, power steering, aircon that works and is 8 years more advanced than the torry.

Are you going to race either of them?
No? Then these apply :D :::

Power steering: No dry steer no care :)

4 Wheel Discs: Definately a good thing for safety, Can upgrade Torry brakes if you really wanted.

Aircon: Windows down to listen to all those people telling you what a nice car you have ;)
Remember, a real man always drives with his arm on the window sill with the window down, regardless of weather... and when the car stops, so does the airconditioning :P

Edited by Loki, 08 May 2006 - 07:30 PM.

#24 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

i called the guy last night. seemed pretty cool, he has another 2 vhs so at least i'll know its going to someone who'll appreciate it.
i've pretty much decided on the trade, the torry will just be so much cheaper to do up and hopefully the coppers will see it as more of a kid taking car of a classic than a young hoon.
i'm going to have a look at it next weekend, then i have to get a pink slip for the vh and fix the waterpump.
when thats done hopefully i'll have a maroon lh in the driveway :D
when you're getting a pink slip, do they give the car a real going over and be really picky about stuff?
the vh needs a pink slip to be transported and i'm pretty sure it will need shocks and possibly brake pads to pass. i need it to be roadworthy enough to get an unlicenced vehicle permit.

#25 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

Bon Scott: I got a permit for our SL/R in victoria.. they never even looked at the car! They just wanted to know wehre from/to and how long you wanted and your $$!

Ours was safe to drive so we did ( threw on some new rear tyres thats all)!

Too easy!
good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users