What diff ratio should i get??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I have YET ANOTHER question about my diff! Sorry!!!

Ok, because my 9inch wasnt put in propery, apparently now i need a new crown wheel & pinion.. The ratio that ive got at the moment is 2.75 but considering i need a whole new crown wheel & pinion I may aswell change the ratio while im at it.. Im just not sure what ratio to get as i want a higher (lower) ratio so i can get a bit more performance BUT my hemisphere is only a single spinner.. SO if i get a ratio thats too high, because its an open diff it will wheel spin too easily when i take off, right?? The motor in my LX is a 308 from a HZ, its pretty stock exept for headers so it doesnt have massive power but even now if i accidenatally take off too fast with the 2.75 ratio the wheel spins.. I can get strange gears for $290 which ive gathered is pretty cheap (the cheapest quote ive got) & i have a choice between getting the ratios 3.0, 3.25 or 3.50. So considering that i want performance but i dont want too much wheel spin, what do you all think i should get, 3.0, 3.25 or 3.50?? Oh by the way, i dont do much freeway driving at all..

Thanks in advance :D

Jo

#2 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

If you are worried about wheelspin, you should trade in the 308 for a 4 cylinder. Nah seriously, wheelspin can be managed with a bit of throttle control.

I strongly suggest the 3.5:1 ratio. It is a very good ratio for the street and will make your motor feel much more responsive. Its also fine for the freeway, even if you did decide to take it out on the open road some more. Once you go any higher though, 3.7, 3.9, 4.11 the freeway driving will start to annoy you. (I have 3.7 in my LH and have done heaps of freeway kms without any problems)
Those gears sound like a bargain to me. Go for it!

#3 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:25 PM

Agree with^^^.Go with either 3.5 or 3.25.
It also depends on your overall wheel diameter. if you are running 13 inch rims with a low profile you will find that it will rev more at high k's than say if you had a set of 15's on .( i think that makes sense)
If you dont want to speed around all the time the 3.25 ratio is a pretty good all rounder for the streets and highway.

#4 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the advice guys :D

LHoon - Youre right about throttle control.. :D I think i just need some more practice with that, as im still kinda learning manual & its the first v8 ive ever driven so im still trying to learn how to ride the clutch to take of fast without wheelspin!

ChiaLX - Yeah it makes sense about the different wheel sizes affecting the revs, speed etc :D

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

I personally would go the 3.5 if your not doing too many highway Ks, do you have a 4 or a 5 speed?

#6 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:51 PM

I have an aussie 4 speed..

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

go the 3.5s then ;)

#8 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

personally i'd go 3.0 or 3.25 ... but i also wouldn't go for a 9 inch either but as far as all round streeter i reckon one of the two above would be my choice.

#9 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

What size Tyre are you running Joanne?

I know on my monaro.. with a Th400 ( 1:1 top gear).. and 28" tall Tyres ( 265/60 R15s) the 3.25 ratio was an awesome highway gear.... It did load the engine up lots when you have it come curry.. but having the torque/cubes that was ok for me too...

i stepped up to a 3.7 and the difference on the highway is about 5-600Rpm.. BUT the car accelerates like a scalded cat now!

personally.. 3.5s i think are about the best all round race/road ratio... you could probably live with 3.25s.. you'll get a bit better top end and loose a little down low but either of those i think you;d be happy!

Cheers :)

#10 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

sorry off topic but how do u know what Diff Ratio you got at the moment (as i cannot get in contact with original owner)......but mine spins when i just put it into Drive from park....i use a B&M Shifter.....but apparently i beat VS Commies.....well thats what my mate says as i havent even drove it in front of him yet.....he says i got like a 3:5:5 or something but i dont know for sure what it actually is

#11 _Joanne_

_Joanne_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

What size Tyre are you running Joanne?

personally.. 3.5s i think are about the best all round race/road ratio... you could probably live with 3.25s.. you'll get a bit better top end and loose a little down low but either of those i think you;d be happy!

Cheers :)

Hey Tiny,

My tires at the back are 265/50 14s..

Id rather better down low than better top end so maybe i should get 3.5s then..

Jo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users