What Alarm System Do You Have Or Recomend?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

I think there is more to that storey than what we know, for starters they did not find the car in the workshop where they believed it to be, rather it was found "later" outside...

When I type my address into Google maps I get the street view of units around the corner in a cul de sac, the units pictured are sort of behind my units.

My guess is the tracker gave an address of the workshop or nearby and the police suspected the workshop as a likely suspect for that area, then when they got there they took a walk around/across the road and found it.

The trackers are only accurate to so many feet and they state this in the advertisement.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 11 January 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#27 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

SMS GPS ALARM......my mate had a GPS fitted to his $50K Dingo (trenching machine) ,
4am one morning his phone sends him an sms with coordinates and that his machine is on the move.
Logs into google maps and there it is driving down the freeway. He watches it constantly update and finally stop in another suburb about 20 kms away.
He prints out the log and the map and drives to the location while continually checking his iphone, yup still there.

Goes to the address and the and checks around , walks up a driveway and looks under a tiny crack under the roladoor, Bingo!
knocks on the blokes door, 5:30am by now.
Guy opens the door with a what the frock do you want attitude, my mate says "Gday mate, sorry to bother you, but can i have my Dingo back plus $5000 for my trouble" He reckons the guy went pale white, said Frock off , dunno what your talkin about. My mate says My Dingo is behind your rolla door, this is your last chance , dingo and cash ...guy says Frock off.

mate goes back to his car, calls the police, cops get there and tell him they cant just walk into someones house/yard , my mate pulls out the printouts , shows the cop, cop says ..."That will be enough proof for me!" knocks on the guys door, makes him open his rolladoor and promptly arrests him, mean while his wife is going nuts at him saying "I told you , your mate <censored> would get you into more trouble."

all the while the other cops partner is taking down his mates name. (his missus has now dropped his mate in the shit too)

As he walks past my mate, my mate says to him "your legal fees are gonna cost you more than 5 grand and you are gonna have a record, shoulda taken me up on my offer!". guy says nothing and gets put into the cop car.

Seems he was going to take it up to the opal fields in SA and sell it to someone there. apparently once its in a mineshaft, it never comes out. Kennards have lost a few that they presume have been sent up there too.

LESSON ENDED!

#28 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

my mate says "Gday mate, sorry to bother you, but can i have my Dingo back plus $5000 for my trouble"

That's pretty brash, they know where he lives/where to find him. At least when they got busted, it could've been anyone that ping'd them and the cops have a suspicion who to blame should your mate go 'missing'.

s

#29 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

my mate says "Gday mate, sorry to bother you, but can i have my Dingo back plus $5000 for my trouble"

That's pretty brash, they know where he lives/where to find him. At least when they got busted, it could've been anyone that ping'd them and the cops have a suspicion who to blame should your mate go 'missing'.

s

Wouldnt happen , my mate has mates in low places if ya know what i mean. Nuff said

#30 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

I have 2 dogs, one of them a pure Dingo and the other half Dobermann and half pittty. The Dingo is like a ninja... silent and deadly, while the Doby/pitty cross is like an SAS veteran on crack. Both will only take food from me and they have a really nasty attitude towards people they do not know, especially when I am not around! :DOH: I'm prepared to back them up with a .300 winMag if necessary but have never had to. :innocent: I never leave the car unattended when I go out in it so I'm happy enough with the current system. It's low tech but very effective. :buttrock:

#31 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

You can build them yourself for under $130 plus roughly ~$20/year in mobile costs if you know where to look

I notice a few trackers on ebay, all from China so I'm a bit dubious as to which are the good brands.

Do you have to log into a website to see a map to do the tracking and how long will they be around after you buy the tracker?

s

No it's all SMS/text based on a prepaid. You buy the second hand phone and a bluetooth GPS. All DIY. Your own phone has to have bluetooth enabled, the unit is disarmed when your phone is in range. When the car moves without your phone, it texts you every few minutes with its location, plus other stuff if you want.

#32 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

When the car moves without your phone, it texts you every few minutes with its location, plus other stuff if you want.

My car is a weekend driver and I take my phone with me.

So I have to buy a second phone + bluetooth GPS?

So how does that one work, does it cost to keep it signalling/within range to your 2nd phone?

I thought it would be more like, you ring the sms and it gives you co-ordinates or all done from a dedicated website, something like smspup with a map.

Is there that option on some?

s

#33 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

When the car moves without your phone, it texts you every few minutes with its location, plus other stuff if you want.

My car is a weekend driver and I take my phone with me.

So I have to buy a second phone + bluetooth GPS?

Yes, here's one example: http://www.skylinesa...ut-t198746.html

So how does that one work, does it cost to keep it signalling/within range to your 2nd phone?

No, just keep them powered. It's just a phone you own.

I thought it would be more like, you ring the sms and it gives you co-ordinates or all done from a dedicated website, something like smspup with a map.

Is there that option on some?

Yes you have an application on your phone that can send it a text, and it responds with its location.

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Yes you have an application on your phone that can send it a text, and it responds with its location.

So I need to get a phone that can download applications?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to buy a unit off ebay then find I have to spend big $$ on accessories to make it work.

s

#35 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

So I need to get a phone that can download applications?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to buy a unit off ebay then find I have to spend big $ on accessories to make it work.

s

my mates just sms's him co-ordinates and he puts em into google maps.

#36 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

That's what I was thinking, something simple you put in your car, it gets stolen, you dial it - bingo!

Which one does he have?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 12 January 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#37 _bushi_

_bushi_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

That's what I was thinking, something simple you put in your car, it gets stolen, you dial it - bingo!

Which one does he have?

s

Have a look at th Rhino Ramv2 about $400 + instal, tracking and remote shut off operated by your own mobile just need prepaid card with sms credit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users