mates LJ GTR XU1

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Attached File  torana undercover.jpg   84.92K   22 downloadsAttached File  torana rh side.jpg   114.53K   35 downloadsAttached File  torana back.jpg   115.19K   8 downloadsAttached File  torana dash seats.jpg   135.12K   15 downloadsAttached File  torana lh side.jpg   108.83K   11 downloadsAttached File  torana engine.jpg   143.85K   39 downloadsa good friend of mine has had this car from new still has original plates from first day it was registered and all books and reciepts which options had bobtail unticked as he thought the holes might cause rust,its done 53,000 genuine km's, and was brought out of loungeroom (no im not joking) to be registered again in about 2005 but after police hounded him about club rego and stopping him every time they saw it he let rego lapse again and put it back in garage where it had been for 5 years after removing it from downstairs Loungeroom in 1999-2000,where it had sat for over 15 years,it was resprayed with original type primer and acrylic paint after it was sprayed with brake fluid in the late 70's ,funny thing was that was the very reason he decided to store it away,then 2 days after it was resprayed his 14 year old son was spraying thinners on ants nest next to car when he accidently got some on the fresh paint,fun time for mate and his brother who is a well renouned spray painter in Toowoomba.
This car has never been driven in the rain ,never pranged, and never restored except for paint.

Edited by nicko61, 04 December 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#2 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

The engine has been out twice. first time to remove HX Cam and bathurst head as he wanted it to be a bit more user friendly(they are stored away safely) and the secont time was to totally strip water passages as the Glycol turned to crystals after 15 years of storage,the carby shields were removed to make tuneing them faster and easier(stored away too)along with the chrome rocker cover (he cant remember why). this car is one of the last built at Acasia Ridge Brisbane Plant and has been set up for the XU2 options,it has a different heavy duty front chassis and there is twice as many spotwelds as other Torana's.

Edited by nicko61, 04 December 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#3 _Herbinator_

_Herbinator_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

nice peice of history. thanks for shareing.

#4 _stroker 208_

_stroker 208_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:12 AM

Very very nicePosted Image

#5 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

that sounds like he was unlucky with the fluids and what is the story with the battery case???

cheers gong

#6 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:52 AM

Hi

Nice '73 Brisbane car, but the Body ID tag has me confused. There's no mention of "XU1" in the "Eng" space.

Cheers

Bazza

#7 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

what about the battery case?

#8 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

Beautiful car , but the carbies and what appears to be an external regulator are of some concern .

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi

Nice '73 Brisbane car, but the Body ID tag has me confused. There's no mention of "XU1" in the "Eng" space.

Cheers

Bazza

:iagree: There are a few things described about this car that don't quite add up to me.

Might not be a 1973 complianced car could be a late 1972 compliance.

#10 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hi

Cheers

Bazza

:iagree: There are a few things described about this car that don't quite add up to me.

Might not be a 1973 complianced car could be a late 1972 compliance.

Hi

I was going by the hign mounted instrument brake light. the KPH speedo and the '73 guard cut-outs. The "XU1" stamp appeared on the Body Tags from Nov '72. I agree there are anomalies, but "truth is stranger than fiction".

Cheers

Bazza

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

Nico6 said, Quote"this car is one of the last built at Acasia Ridge Brisbane Plant and has been set up for the XU2 options,it has a different heavy duty front chassis and there is twice as many spotwelds as other Torana's".

Hi Bazza,
VIN number would be useful hey.
You must have better eyes than me, enlarged the pic but the steering wheel is blocking my view of the high level brake light.

If it is one of the last XU1 built at Acacia Ridge it would have to be a 1973 complianced car, therefore it could not be a body shell that was destined for the 1972 XU1 V8 program (XU2 as some like to call it).

The front carb appears to have the choke lever cut off for the extractors but the engine is fitted with cast headers.
And yes it has an external regulator fitted (1972 model feature).
The aircleaners appear to have standard type wing nuts not dotlocks?????
Carbies are not TCX type bodies as fitted to late '73 XU1's.
Gearshifter vinyl boot appears to be Roebuck 40X grain vinyl not Long grain 50X vinyl.

Just a few possible anomolies.

#12 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hi Bazza,

You must have better eyes than me, enlarged the pic but the steering wheel is blocking my view of the high level brake light.

Attached Files

#13 _stroker 208_

_stroker 208_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

Wow I'm glad I haven't put picks up of my car,I wouldn't want it to be scrutinized like this.Why can't people just stand back and appreciate theses car as they are today.Maybe the owner has changed a few things to his liking.Posted Image

#14 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

That's a fair comment. I think that unless you explicitly state that your car is not 110% original then you will invite criticism. It's a shame. It looks like a nice car. Geez, when you consider some of the steel that has been replaced in some of the 'original' cars on here (such that barely any of the original car remains) you have to wonder why people focus only on the bolt-on parts of some other cars.

Edited by Zook, 05 December 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#15 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

Wow I'm glad I haven't put picks up of my car,I wouldn't want it to be scrutinized like this.Why can't people just stand back and appreciate theses car as they are today.Maybe the owner has changed a few things to his liking.Posted Image

totally understand where your coming from,

my car has been in storage for some time,mainly because of bringing up my kids,when ever someone looks at the car they are looking for things that are not correct,and as we know,people changed parts as they broke,and modified things to suit themselves.

the story is coming from a friend of the owner,and he is sharing this hot torana with us,and people are just pointing out things that don,t fit the story.

i have a friend that has a 8th month 72 xu1 and a hg gts350,recently he had the 350 out and a fella wanted to look under the bonnet,first thing out of his mouth was you have the wrong brake master cylinder,big deal,so what,admire the car .

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

I think we all appreciate how nice this car is (like many others) but I suppose it's curiosity.

This is claimed to be a one owner and only 53,000km genuine XU1 that has spent the greatest part of its life in storage and never been restored except for a repaint and the engine removed twice. So I for one would assume it to be very close to how it left the showroom floor, and when things don't appear to add up then curiosity takes over and I start to wonder why.

PS: Bazza, I can now see from the pic you arrowed what you are seeing. I don't think that is the high level brake light. I could be wrong but I believe it is a reflection from the area where the indicator lens is above the tachometer.

#17 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

S Pack
Its the park brake light, later 73 thing, no reflection , just Holden made em that way do your research you will see just where Bazza is coming from.

happy days!!!

Edited by UFO XU1, 05 December 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#18 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

S Pack
Its the park brake light, later 73 thing, no reflection , just Holden made em that way do your research you will see just where Bazza is coming from.

happy days!!!

G/day UFO

My LJ is a 1973 model so I am fully aware of the brake fail warning light located at the top centre of the instrument cluster.

Edit: Just had another look at the pic and can now see the red brake light lens. So I was wrong about the reflection thing, and I apologize to Bazza.
I just found it hard to see with the picture being so dark.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by S pack, 05 December 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#19 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

as i said earlier the HX cam and head were removed ,and splash shields from carbs (probably a few other slight changes)but he has his original books and sales reciept with options wanted and not wanted ticked or unticked as per his requirements,and just for you guys picking the crap out of it,you missed the missing little covers from under the bonnet hinges,
spoke to mate today as some comments had me concerned, he was bitterly dissapointed and said the cars from SA always had XU1 on tag and most but not all VIC and QLD , he said the battery is not in car and leads and clamp are sitting in tray and was perplexed as to why it was even mentioned,He also said it was ordered from suttons and picked up from their yard a few days after it arrived ,and a few years after that when he was moving to Victoria he drilled holes under the door step covers and sprayed inside and up under dash and under parcel tray and in boot beaver panel some solution he got from the Army Stores and its still wet looking when we checked 6 months ago with a micro flex camera in workshop.hence no rust, i will ask him about the carbs and extractors tomorrow,as for being a 72 car ive seen the reciept myself and its dated 73 or 74,will get a pic as soon as i see him unless he does not want pics taken in which case i will get back to you all with what i find.
cheers Nick

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

as i said earlier the HX cam and head were removed ,and splash shields from carbs (probably a few other slight changes)but he has his original books and sales reciept with options wanted and not wanted ticked or unticked as per his requirements,and just for you guys picking the crap out of it,you missed the missing little covers from under the bonnet hinges,
spoke to mate today as some comments had me concerned, he was bitterly dissapointed and said the cars from SA always had XU1 on tag and most but not all VIC and QLD , he said the battery is not in car and leads and clamp are sitting in tray and was perplexed as to why it was even mentioned,He also said it was ordered from suttons and picked up from their yard a few days after it arrived ,and a few years after that when he was moving to Victoria he drilled holes under the door step covers and sprayed inside and up under dash and under parcel tray and in boot beaver panel some solution he got from the Army Stores and its still wet looking when we checked 6 months ago with a micro flex camera in workshop.hence no rust, i will ask him about the carbs and extractors tomorrow,as for being a 72 car ive seen the reciept myself and its dated 73 or 74,will get a pic as soon as i see him unless he does not want pics taken in which case i will get back to you all with what i find.
cheers Nick

G/day Nick

Don't get me wrong, I think your mate has a fantastic looking XU1 and he obviously takes a lot of pride in it.

I think the main thing we've been trying to determine (well I have at least) is if his LJ XU1 is a 1972 or 1973 build.
You said that he says it was one of the last XU1's produced at Acacia Ridge and it has been set up for the XU2 options.
I just find that hard to believe as the XU1 V8 program (XU2 as some like to call it) was born and scrapped in 1972, long before your mates XU1 was built.

But as Bazza said, Anomalies do occur.

By the way XU1's were only built at Acacia Ridge QLD and Elizabeth S.A, none were built in Victoria and no XU1's were built and complianced in 1974 so it will be a 1973 built and complianced car.

Cheers
Dave

#21 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

that sounds like he was unlucky with the fluids and what is the story with the battery case???

cheers gong

what about the battery case?
he said the battery is not in car and leads and clamp are sitting in tray and was perplexed as to why it was even mentioned,

as you can see i asked 1 question, i never went into picking all the shit that i can see wrong with this car, i asked the question about the battery case [tray] because its not the original item,,, i never went on about wrong bolts, clamps and extra wiring,the car been one of the last of the brisbane line should have xu1 stamped on the paint plate as adelaide only had the g95 stamped on it, if you want my opinion on the car i would say at best its a gtr with xu1 options,that would make sense why it had no boot spoiler, not because it would let water in for rust, now get the vin and check it yourself and prove me wrong, i would be more than happy to say sorry, how silly of me for been wrong,,, i could have quite easly been lured into the mix and made a list, and answered most of the above questions, i for one am a bloke who does love these cars with a extra full passion and i also know what should or shouldnt be here and there,,, but in saying that, i have my cars the way i want them, and have respect for the people whom want there cars the way they want them...

ps let me know the resalt of the vin check.

cheers gong

#22 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

nicko61 , In my comment I was not taking a dump on you or the owner . It was as a factual comment - A late September 73 xu1 one owner car that has basically never been touched could not have left the factory with those carbies and external regulator fitted . Because my comment has upset you and the owner I apologize for the hurt I have caused .

#23 _Genuine S_

_Genuine S_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

Never let the facts interfere with a good story , it is what it is , a sweet looking Torana .

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Ace looking car mate! Thanks for sharing!!!

This is a reason why i'm glad my Hatch isn't an A9X, XU1 etc... I can't stand people picking the crap out of things... When my SS gets done, it won't be completely original! It'll be better than original! HAHA!

P.S... Is the fire extinguisher on the drivers seat factory? I don't think it is!! HAHAHAHA!!! It's got the wrong sticker on it...

#25 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

When I bought my xu-1 off the original owner it didn't have "dotlocs" on it.
When I questioned him about them later on , he was postive thats how they were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users