redline style 13in Tyres??

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

G'day guys, does anyone know if there is still available a 13inch tyre with a thin red band on the sidewall?

i've seen some with a white band which i'm guessing could be easily painted, and i've heard of gentlemen painting them on for you (which i'm a tiny bit suspect about) but does anyone know what brand of tyre produces one?

Or what brand have a thin white banded 13" tyre.

I'm guessing sizes would be roughly 175,185/70/13 etc

#2 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

Alot of the GT boys get them done down here in Melb. There is a place in campbelfield that grove the tyre wall and then paint it red. You have to be careful with tyre black/armourall etc though.
If you are looking for brandnew tyres with the red wall, I have seen people seeling these at swap meets but I dont know if they do the same as above or reproduce a brand new tyre as I have not really looked at them that closely.
try doing a google or talk to a tyre outlet they should be able to point you in the right direction.

#3 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

www.antiquetyres.com.au ...try these guys?

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

Best way is to have the sidewall grooved and have a strip of rubber glued in. Depending on abuse, this can lest around 2 years. Pick your width and colour.

#5 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

Not that i really know but I would have thought grooving the sidewall would weaken the tyre somewhat and affect its performance???

or am i just being a little bit precious?

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

They only remove about 1 MM, which is fine. If you go too far and hit the sidewall cords, it's finished.

#7 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

Make me an offer and i might sale you, these 4 orig ones Posted Image

#8 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

Of course i could make you an offer, but I'm not after some 30yr old cross plys as I'm not building a concourse resto.......

And I dont want to insult ya........hehe

#9 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:24 AM

G'day guys, does anyone know if there is still available a 13inch tyre with a thin red band on the sidewall?

no one makes them. So you have the buy a tin of red paint and small brush, hope that helps :spoton:

#10 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

no one makes them. So you have the buy a tin of red paint and small brush, hope that helps

Looks like that will be the way i have to go :spoton: I'd better use my steady hand to paint it on...hehe

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

Don't need a steady hand at all; just put the car on stands, stick a paintbrush in a clamp on the ground, pointing at the right spot of the tyre wall. Rotate each wheel about five times and bob's your uncle! hahahah

#12 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

http://allclassified...=vi&i=463224679

#13 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Anyone know how thick the red band is on one of these tyres? I'm trying to design a contrapment that might work.

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

The ones that are done on site are up to 1" wide. How wide the original ones are, I can't recall.

#15 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

Get lakeside to measure his.... looks approx 1/2"-3/4"

Cheers

PS: would also get him to measure between the red line and the rim and also between the redline and teh tyre tread.. :D

#16 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Good point Oldn!!! but I don't think Colin would be too prepared to release the secrets of the coveted redwalls...hehe

#17 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

There really is only two answers here... sure I will measure them, or Forget it No....

so it is worth asking the question, I mean, one answer helps you the other just means you have to ask the question of someone else, or in a different way to colin.. :D

Cheers

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

Melissa has a 13" redwall. Time to PM hg350 by the looks of things.

#19 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

Good point Oldn!!! but I don't think Colin would be too prepared to release the secrets of the coveted redwalls...hehe

you only have to ask, even come have a look at them if you want Pete.

#20 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:44 PM

Ok kool, Colin, If you get a second one day if possible could you run a tape measure over those lovely tyres and inform me of the bands thickness and the distance from the edge of the rim?

If you could help me out i'd appreciate it.

Cheers Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users