#1 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

does any one no what happend to this i loved going to it as a kid used to get up at 5 in the morning and catch a link of trains to get there watch drag racing on the foreshore then catch train home and get back aroudn 10 pm
was any one on here lucky enough to compete if it ever got going again i would love to participate

#2 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

Not sure what has happened. I have been thinking about this event for a while wondering. I went in about 2003 and it was 40c plus. I was witness to one of the most stunning pieces of machinery ever - a Britten motorcycle all the way from UnZud - it looked extremely horney and sounded even better - art at its best - I will never forget that day! :buttrock: :badabing: :rockon:

#3 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

Great event which started in the mid 1950's and ran up until around 1960; being later revived in the 1970's for vintage and historic sports and racing cars along with bikes. I regularly attended as a spectator and ran a 1938 MG there around 1980. On occasions V8 supercars were invited to run, my hazy memory has Dick Johnson there in a Falcon. Norm Beechey memorably ran his 409 1962 Impala, but nothing could beat the sight and sound of a P3 Alfa or Maserati 250F charging along the beach front. I think safety issues finally killed the event.
Oh yeah, Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by V-SLR5000-P, 25 December 2010 - 05:56 AM.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

I think safety issues finally killed the event.

Yes, that's my memory of it too. Insurance killed it.

#5 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

I was witness to one of the most stunning pieces of machinery ever - a Britten motorcycle all the way from UnZud - it looked extremely horney and sounded even better - art at its best - I will never forget that day! :buttrock: :badabing: :rockon:

:buttrock:^ One of the best things to come out of here

#6 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Not sure what has happened. I have been thinking about this event for a while wondering. I went in about 2003 and it was 40c plus. I was witness to one of the most stunning pieces of machinery ever - a Britten motorcycle all the way from UnZud - it looked extremely horney and sounded even better - art at its best - I will never forget that day! :buttrock: :badabing: :rockon:

I will second that.....I was there that day....The Britten was gooooood! I also have fond memories of an F5000 and a chick who was walking in front of us when we were going down to have a squizz at the Britten...she had her name tattooed on her lower back.....lovely stuff......Posted Image

#7 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

I will second that.....I was there that day....The Britten was gooooood! I also have fond memories of an F5000 and a chick who was walking in front of us when we were going down to have a squizz at the Britten...she had her name tattooed on her lower back.....lovely stuff......Posted Image

Chanelle by any chance?? Ever wonder why one would have one's name tattoed across the lower back?

#8 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

Yeah,it was Chanelle or Chantelle......it was in cursive script..........

#9 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yeah,it was Chanelle or Chantelle......it was in cursive script..........

Chantelle perhaps - maybe the lettering was a bit distorted 'over the couch"?

#10 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

I was witness to one of the most stunning pieces of machinery ever - a Britten motorcycle all the way from UnZud - it looked extremely horney and sounded even better - art at its best - I will never forget that day! :buttrock: :badabing: :rockon:

:buttrock:^ One of the best things to come out of here

Dont forget Dave Dobbyn....a slice of heaven! Ha ha ha ................

#11 _sloper35_

_sloper35_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

The Geelong Speed Trials became impractable after the Geelong City Council reworked the foreshore area with bollards and humps.
Good news is, this Easter the guy who ran the Geelong Speed Trials is organising a similar event at the Ballarat Airport.
Local Ballarat Motoring identity, John Emery is running a Historic Racing Event to celebrate 50 Years of the closure of the Ballarat Airport Racing Circuit this Easter (22-24th April). The Sprints will be run on Easter Sunday. Also organised is a Show & Shine on the Saturday at the Airport (Polocross Centre) and a display of Historic Racing Cars on the Friday at the Ballarat Mining Exchange.
Norm

#12 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

Organising the Geelong Speed Trials took the efforts of many individuals freely volunteering their time. The Director and driving force behind the Speed Trials was Gary Grant, who is also the author of the History of the Geelong Speed Trials.

#13 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

#14 _Mr Detroit_

_Mr Detroit_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Wish it was still on as I live only 20 mins from where it was held

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users