#1 Jay#2

Jay#2

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Car:1976 LX 4 door

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

OK its nearly time to get the paint on my LX so I am starting to think about brake upgrades and wheels. I was thinking of using a 290mm Hoppers Stoppers kit with with no increase in track and 15x8 and 15x10 Simons B45's. I will be using an 8mm spacer with these on the front too. Tires hopefully will be 245s front and 265-295s rear. My question is what is the typical wheel offset for these size wheels if one is using a flare kit? My problem is I live in the UK and my trusty Torana is with me so I cant have the wheels trial fiited before I purchase. I have to take a leap of faith and order them from OZ asking for the correct wheel diameter, offset, stud pattern and width. I just don't want to order the wheels and have them stick out from the flares or have them sitting in the wheel well. So does anyone have any info on offsets to use with flares? Thanks for your help fellas. I wish I had these ordered before I left OZ!

Jason.

#2 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

If you haven't ordered the wheels, why bother with spacers, which are illegal at any rate? Retro Wheels now do all the Simmon's 15" wheels.

They have all the records of what's already been supplied (Simmons wheels are ID stamped) and they'll be able to supply you with the correct offset.

Alternatively, at work we have just gotten a shipment of a product called a 'Wheel Rite", which is a wheel simulator designed to help you measure the correct offsets.

#3 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:08 PM

BOTTLEDUP- how does this work is it a program? with all oem offsets already installed or something

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:25 PM

Those programs aren't worth shit. I have seen plenty of different programs over the years and they all state the same thing.

" This is a guide only blah blah check local rego laws blah blah always check wheel fitment to the vehicle before fitting tyres blah blah..."

Basically, anything outside the norm is guesswork using software like this. If you want to check out every single wheel option for your vehicle without spending hours at you local tyre dealer, it's a good thing. Otherwise talk to your ,ocal tyre dealer, who through years of experience can tell you off the tops of their heads what will and won't fit.

To the Simmons question, running +25 or +30 offset for the 16x8 on the front should be fine. For the rears ( assuming a stock LH diff ) a -25 offset would be closer to the mark.

#5 Jay#2

Jay#2

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

Well as far as the spacer goes I need an 8mm spacer so the allen bolts on the centre piece of the rim clear the caliper. Yes spacers are illegal but not in UK. I have 1" spacers on the rear of my Mini and I have passed the pits 5 times with them. So I'm not too worried about that. Well thats OK that simmons have a good idea of whats required. Thats what I need to know, as long as they know what backspacing is needed etc. Yeah I'll be going through retro wheels. Thanks for your help!

Jason.

#6 Jay#2

Jay#2

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

Oh OK thanks Chopper, thats what I was looking for too. Great!

Jason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users