What is causing my car to blow smoke?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

Ok, my car is a LX, with a 202 Turbo (Strata 2 Kit with T04). Bored to 208. Celica 5spd. 3" Exhaust.

Anyway, under normal driving conditions (Idling, Normal take offs) the car blows no visible smoke. But with fast take offs the car sometimes blows quite a bit of smoke. The smoke looks brown.

If im just driving in second/third gear, then flatten it (to redline) it wont blow much, if any smoke. Its only really if i take off from first that it does.

Compression seems to be ok, (i checked it, then put some oil in the cylinder and rechecked it, and not much change in PSI).
It doesnt seem to use any engine oil (I regularly check oil, and always at the same level)
I also stopped using Flash lube (as i thought this could maybe minimise smoke) but same still. If i damage the head i will just get hardned seats.

Also, a few months ago, the turbo started to blow a LOT of smoke, and all the time. But that was blue smoke. I got a bush and seal kit for it, and did a basic rebuild of it then it stopped blowing blue smoke.

The car has always blown smoke on fast take offs (for the 10 or so months ive owned it), and it hasnt got any worse.

What could it be?

#2 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

brown smoke= fuel
its a rich spot
welcome to the wonderful world of carbies lol

#3 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:51 PM

Would a tune take care of this? I know a bloke who tunes drag cars (Southcoast motorsport). Ive been meaning to get a tune for ages....

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

White is coolant or incomplete combustion.

blue is oil

I would normally say fuel is black smoke but then again with modern fuels this may not be the case.

#5 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

it looks like a brown haze coming out your pipe

#6 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

a tune is all you can do.
you will most likely feel the car bog down when it hits the rich spot

#7 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

Sometimes it does look almost black.

Also, totally un-related.. But does anyone know how shit it feels goin from an LSD to an open centre? I couldnt find a replacement LSD, or centre (well not without spending $1000+) so just stuck in standard banjo. Complete garbage to drive. I took off from the lights near my place the other day and its on a slight up hill and one tyre was spinning for what felt like a couple hundred meters. Thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

#8 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

get off the LOUD pedel a bit :D that stops the wheels or should i say WHEEL spinning :tease:

Edited by dave720gtr, 09 May 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#9 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

Old engine, carburation, ULP.
Yep, sounds typical :)

Edited by Loki, 10 May 2006 - 08:37 PM.

#10 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

yeah, same case with mine ... black smoke under wide open throttle ... the looks on peoples face when you overtake them and leave them in a rediculous cloud of smoke ... kind of embarassing ... nothing a proper tune wont fix, and you'll prolly get other benefits/increases from it as well ... who knows

-Al

#11 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

Yeah, the smoke is kinda embarassing. Like a magician disappearing in a cloud of smoke...

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

How often do you drive it at those sort of revs? If not often, I'd say it's just burning further back into the exhaust, burning the crap out of your pipes. Auto's are more suseptable to this than manuals, unless you manualise the auto now and then and take it to decent revs.

Fuel is normally black.

You get the same on the dyno if the car isn't normally taken to full noise.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 18 May 2006 - 10:40 PM.

#13 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

Back in the leaded days, brown/rusty was lean.

#14 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

^ oh well, quick gas analyzer on the dyno would sound like the trick if that's the case. I'd not heard of that before, but makes sense.

I think smoke colours are still the same with the unleaded fuels, only difference seems to be you don't get that nice white/light grey exhaust after a long trip.

#15 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

With my double pumper carby i get a puff of black smoke when you give it a quick rev.. that's the accelerator pump giving slightly too much juicing giving you a slight richness.

I'd go somewhere with either a gas analyser and/or a dyno and get a good tune.

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users