Machine Shops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hey guys, going to be building a motor shortly so want to find the Machine shop im going to use for all the machining on the block... Is it really a much of a muchness and any of the decent ones would be pretty much the same, or will a really good shop give superior results?

So far I been looking at

Galloway Engines in Pinjarra (was abit more expensive then Harris Engines but David was very helpful and answered alot of my questions and seemed keen to help)

Harris Engines in Osbourne Park (as above, was a little cheaper but didnt reply to my e-mails with as much in-depth advice)

Applied Automotive in Maddington (yet to contact them, Neil/Dattoman said he gets all his stuff done there)

Performance Modifications In Osbourne Park (Yet to contact for a quote but Dave from Extreme Performance who built my Torana motor says he always uses them and said there "the best in Perth")

So yea, Reading Perth street car is where I spotted the first 2 and noticed they both did Plateau honing and have some new fandangled digital crank balancing machine so thats what initially attracted me, Not sure if the other two have the same?

But yea, anyone else comment on the above workshops or want to recommend another?

#2 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

con adamos from balcatta engines, 9344 3211
top work, i get all my machining done there if you do end up ringing him, tell him you know me, he will look after you

#3 _AGGETTS_

_AGGETTS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

See APPLIED AUTOMOTIVE I have been using them for years they do a top job!!!

#4 _ova budget_

_ova budget_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

I'm with Aggetts, Applied automotive done the work on my mates 400 chev (on which he spent a fortune with another "reputable shop" previously). Absolutley first class job.

#5 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

i use balcatta engines also, con has always been good to me.he`s got mine right now.
performance mods have a good name. i think at some point all engines end up there as most engine reconditioners cant do every job in house, so performance mods usually does it.

#6 _yellow slr 5000_

_yellow slr 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

bob cambells in malaga is where my motor is getting rebuilt

#7 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

i use balcatta engines also, con has always been good to me.he`s got mine right now.
performance mods have a good name. i think at some point all engines end up there as most engine reconditioners cant do every job in house, so performance mods usually does it.

+1 from me too, very happy with the motor Con screwed together for me.

Dave

#8 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Galloway are very good. They have alot of good machines there and one of the newest balancing machines. They are one of the few shops in Perth who have an instrument to measure the smoothness of machined flat surfaces in RA. For me that was enough to put my confidence in them.
Alot of the shops mentioned cant get the head and deck smoothness under 30 RA as their machines just cant do it regardless of operator. And alot of the shops that cant do it dont even know what RA is. When using multi layered steel gaskets the head and deck should be smooth as.

Southside engine Centre will do a good job also.

Hi Performance Head Engineering (John) can do some good work also.

But dont go to HiTech Cylinder Heads in Malaga as although the owner Tony seems like a nice guy, he performed substandard work on a head of mine that needed redoing elsewhere. He conceded that his facing machine could not do better than what it did and he did not see it being a problem as to sinking the a valvejob into the head so much that there was a 30 thou step. Also the contact points on the valve and seat were not the best.
He said that the Taxi mob up the road never have a problem with his work. This is probably right. His standard is Taxi mass produced work but definately not performance work.
He would not give me any money back so I just walked out and wrote him off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users