Installing windscreen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

Im going to try and install the front and rear windscreen on the hatch this weekend and was looking for some tips/advice.
Havent installed one before but dont think it would be to hard?
So firstly do i apply window sealer to the to the windscreen frame on the car then fit on the rubber. Then apply more sealer on the rubber and fit the winscreen in, then lastly fit in the locking strip (using string???) to keep it all locked in nice and tight? I was told the way you get the locking strip in is to use some string???? dont know how though :huh: any help?

cheers eddie

Edited by 355lxss, 10 May 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

I normally use some thinner string/rope with a liquid nails/sealer style nozzle with a hole cut in it for the string to go through, you'll ideally need a locking strip tool also to feed the locking strip into the rubber.

First I'd put the screen on a bench or stand and fit the rubber to the screen. Then run the string around the seal as this is how you will pull the screen in with this rope. You'll need enough rope to run it around the whole screen rubber and also some to overlap down the bottom and also some to grab onto.

A bit of soapy water will help if you carefully run some around the screen opening to lube it up a little.

Place the screen onto the opening, its helpful to have an extra pair of hands if you can find someone (it can be done by yourself) and position it so its even in the opening, then if you can get your extra hands to keep it in place you can begin to slowly pull the rope so the lip of the rubber seal pulls over the screen opening on the body. The corners can be a little tricky but if your careful you'll get there, you might also need a small soft edged pick or screw driver to help when some of the rubber seal is just off the edge and needs a little help to shift.

Its a bit hard to explain without pictures but you might need to gently open hand "slap" the screen around so it stays in the correct position, be extremely light handed otherwise you'll break the glass and you'll have to start all over again.

Once you've got the glass and rubber in place correctly a bit of an open hand slap to seat it all nicely will work and then you can run your sealer in the inner and outer parts under the rubber, make sure you put enough in and try and do it neatly as you will get really sick of cleaning it up with turps or prepsol.

After that use your locking strip tool to feed the locking strip into place, its easier than it sounds and you will probably need a little lube like armorall or similar so the strip slides in.

Then fit your corner pieces which again can give a little trouble to get into place.

Its not a difficult job, but it can also be a right pain in the a** too and will test your patience level. Or alternatively give a local screen fitter a call and for a couple of hundred buck or so they will make it look really easy and providing you've used new rubbers guarantee it won't leak.

Good luck with it, might also be a good idea to enlist the help of a mate who has done it before!

#3 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

thanks for that Pete, sounds a little tricky to do, but ill give it a go this weekend.

#4 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

It can be tricky, but if you take your time and maintain a bit of patience you'll get them in, all you have to worry about is breaking the glass.

You don't have to use my technique to the letter, just try and see what works for you. You'll get there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users