39 replies to this topic

#1 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

On Friday went up to Bathurst to see the support categories to the 12 Hour GT & Production Car race.

Love it!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

This Alfa is owned by a mate & is VERY quick.
Posted Image

Lots of Toranas racing.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jason & I were guests of CraigA & Ed (the STP car owner). Thanks for an awesome day guys.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Glad to see you and Jason up there.

Bloody hot though!! The hottest two days of my life and did affect a number of cars, including the STP car.

Good results for us - first in race one, second in race two, and a not so super Super T10 gearbox failure in race three. Ed drove exceptionally well with a best time in the low 2.33's which is getting closer the same time (taking into the addition of the chase) that the car was doing in the '80's.

Jason, Phil and I had a good laugh with Chris and Dan Bowden at dinner on Saturday night and they have so many great stories to tell. Unfortunately I was busy and didn't get to see Dick drive the hatch around the track. Bummer.

Bring on Phillip Island in March. From what I have heard the Group A and C field will be a good one.

#3 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jason got to earn his keep..............
Posted Image

#4 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

]Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

2 lt Alfa giving the 5.8 lt XY Falcon some hurry-up across the top of the mountain!
Posted Image

Posted Image

'Our' car qualified third, but snatched victory on the last lap. :D :D :D
Posted Image

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

^ Ominous smoke trail behind the VL.

Good on you guys for the good results.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 06 February 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#6 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

yeah look under the bonnet plenty of black stuff on the paint.
craig a are you going up at easter?

#7 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Well picked guys, the Collins VL is always driven hard and very well but with the high temps on Friday they had what appeared to be a significant engine failure.

The Pink VL was also driven very well and intelligently by Troy Stapleton but Ed passed him at Caltex Chase on the final lap after Troy entered the corner a little fast and left the track. Huge win for us :-)

I might take a run up at Easter for a look but its not on our schedule for this year.

Edited by CraigA, 06 February 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#8 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

well cant get you a room this time maybe a tent lol,but we will be doing this replacement fosc thing via nswrrc at easter.they gave us our timetable the other day looks like we get 5 or 6 20 min sessions over 3 days with scrutineering on the thursday cant wait.especially after seeing these pics.at least i can avoid that hot weather what a bastard its been.
do we have vids on youtube yet from the vh?

#9 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

One of the things I have responsibility for is management of the video but at the end of the meets it understandably goes with the owner.

I took some stuff in the dummy grid and from the pit wall and will put it up tomorrow.

The sound of the Walkinshaw Jag is just so good.

Sleeping with you once was ok, after a few beers you'll enjoy the cuddle :-)

#10 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

uploading approx 350 photos so will add them over next couple of days. Firstly would like to thank phil for the offer of going and to the STP crew for a great day on friday, pity we could not stay but was a great day anyway. It was also a long day as Phil and i left at 5.00am friday morning and getting home at 2.00am saturday morning, definately well worth it.
Dinner with Bowden boys topped off a great day with some interesting stories over a few beers.

Jason

#11 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

heres my idea of putting in 2 quick ones in qualifying , both laps F&#ked up but still pulled 2.41

#12 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

Bloody awesome Shaun, thanks for posting up mate. Wish l was in the passengers seat !!

#13 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

thanks simon , was pretty stoked , picked up 2nd place for group c , although 2 commos were quicker but had probs .

torana 1 , 2 finish ... ha ha and awesome .

ps is there a new car in your shed yet ?

#14 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Nope not yet mate, hopefully by the end of the month. A sick child has slowed things down around here but she is now on the mend so the roadtrip is being planned...

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for the video, great to have a camera that records decent sound for something like this!

#16 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

Great video Shaun and good to see you on the weekend.

Here's the stuff I took with my iPhone, mostly off the pit wall.

All the cars sound amazing but I still can't get over the noise the V12 Jags make.

#17 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

heres my idea of putting in 2 quick ones in qualifying , both laps F&#ked up but still pulled 2.41

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sif6tQW5Gjc

That vid is awesome!!!! Thanks for Sharing!!!!!!!!

#18 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

thanks for sharing the two vids guys...

Craig - what were they saying about Collin's HRT VL's box compared to the pink walky at 5:30

Agree about the jags, heard them at the 2009 MCM and dammmmmmmmm they sound awesome, phone doesn't really do them justice, although the JRA one sounds awesome at 6:24 and 7:55.

The other one that surprised me with how awesome it sounds is the 635 BMW's. heard it get started at the first Bowden's sound tour and it is cranky, then hearing it at full noise at lakeside last year was unbelievable

#19 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

The comment was made by one of our mechanics who noticed a clear difference in shift speed.

Unfortunately the Collins car had an engine failure and didn't finish the weekend. He really drives that car very hard and close to the limit and as such is always at the pointy end of the field, as is his son Chris in his VC.

One of the things that stands out in the dummy grid and on the track is the diversity of shapes and sounds. Group NC is the same. Proper tin top racing.

#20 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

i thought thats what it was about, very slick shifting in that VL thats for sure.

Yes that is what is great about group c and a. and not only the diversity in shapes and sounds but different cars have different strengths, like the BMW's are brilliant under brakes and through corners but the M3's cannot match the big cars in a straight line. Wish racing was like that today just with a more even parity and also more backing for other forms of motorsport, basically if its not V8 supercars its not worthy to cams/advertisers/sponsors which is a shame cause they are rubbish and boring.

#21 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Sadly mate there was just nobody there at the track to watch a proper car racing event. On the weekend there were Group A/C, Group NC, HQ's, and the very competitive and interesting IPRA - and sadly a small crowd.

I think most modern 'race' fans either don't know about how good this stuff is or just prefer the 'family event' known as V8 Supercars.

Having been to Morgan Park, Sandown and now Bathurst in the past few months its not something that seems to be limited to one state or due to the distance of a track to the major cities. There were a few more at Sandown but nowhere near what you would expect.

Phillip Island is next, only about 6 weeks away and I am driving my XU1 down :rockon: Can't wait.

#22 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

I agree, I really wanted to be down there last weekend, and I have all IPRA events for QLD marked on my calendar to go and see, much more exciting and interesting racing. Also the special events at lakeside every year (lakeside classic) have been awesome with huge crowds and a big number of cars racing (and some high profile group a/c cars too). This years 50 years of lakeside split over 4 weekends is going to be great. I think that the lack of crowds for these is not enough people know about when they are on due to lack of sponsorship/cams attention and tv/newspaper advertising unless you know where to look. If they weren't so greedy raking in money over v8 stupidcars could split it up over several categories. I wish I was around for when F5000 and improved production was huge, yet series production/group c still had fair and equal coverage.....if only (now im dreaming)

Phillip island sounds fun, will have to post up closer to the date and keep us updated on the road trip.

#23 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

race 3 group a & c

this is for you CraigA (was that the stp commo ?)

i had fuel pump probs which explains the carbs running out at times .

#24 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the video. Too bad about your fuel problems.

We had a high speed miss at Sandown which we couldn't solve and appeared to be electrical. Ended up being a fuel pump issue and was OK at Bathurst after some investigations on the dyno.

When you overtook Ed his gearbox was grinding itself into oblivion!!

#25 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the video. Too bad about your fuel problems.

We had a high speed miss at Sandown which we couldn't solve and appeared to be electrical. Ended up being a fuel pump issue and was OK at Bathurst after some investigations on the dyno.

When you overtook Ed his gearbox was grinding itself into oblivion!!

eddies box broke 2 laps later , think he slowed down some as was engine heating probs too is what he said .

anyway look forward to catching up at the island ,

thanks for the great pitlane vid , good to see and hear the cars from another angle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users