enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Yesterday, Rare Spares hosted a number of Admins from various forums to give everyone a better idea of what they really do to keep us in gear.

Unfortunately Tiny was unavailable to attend, but I was backed up supporting GMH-Torana by Dr Terry and yel327 (Byron) who were also there representing Fastlane with Warren. Ron (HDT/HSV forum), Tim from Holden Heaven and a couple of fellas from the xFalcon.com forums rounded out the group.

Les, BIGCAV, Joe, Peter(MRSLR) & David Ryan gave us the lowdown on where Rares have come from and we toured the warehouse, press shed and a store to see it all from start to finish. We also learned about RSP and the major non-restoration side of the business.

Byron was like a kid in a candy shop (I've never understood that term til now mate :P ) and was pulling things out of the racks left, right and centre ("Grant, check this out" was heard quite often) and seemed to know almost as much by the numbers as Les did.

Everyone was amazed by the number of dies (taking up two sheds!) that Rares have to pump out all the new panels and patches! I'm sure Holden Heaven will have a few pics up soon :D Also seeing the amount of kit that Rares bring in from other manufacturers, many overseas, was eye opening for some - including some brand new yet to be released parts!

John Bowe joined us for lunch, with those of us who already know him having a chance to catch up and others getting to have the sort of chat you don't get out the back of the pits.

The crux of the day was basically - what can they do for us, what can they do to be better, and how can they use our forums to get the right information to us and back to them. Les knows that without us, the enthusiasts, Rares would not be in the position they are. Luckily they are people like us and know that they are not the only ones who can, or should, provide all the bits we seek.

If you ever have any issues with any Rares products, let us know and let Rares know ASAP. Any complaint means a part is removed from sale until any possible issue is resolved - there are many companies who do not do that. Also, keep up with the wishlist - Cav is always working hard on the new products, and we need to ensure he doesn't start pushing too many Falcon bit eh??

And the last word goes to Tim from Holden Heaven, in reference to his years of experience going to the Canberra store -

"It's never sucked for me!"

#2 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:31 AM

some people have all the fun :buttrock:

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

Yesterday, Rare Spares hosted a number of Admins from various forums to give everyone a better idea of what they really do to keep us in gear.

Les, BIGCAV, Joe, Peter(MRSLR) & David Ryan gave us the lowdown on where Rares have come from and we toured the warehouse, press shed and a store to see it all from start to finish. We also learned about RSP and the major non-restoration side of the business.

Hi Grant

Don't mean to be picky but I assume you are referring to David Rayner not David Ryan?

Lucky B's getting invited to tour the Rare Spares facilities.

Yes, I'm jealous. :cry:

#4 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

We have 2 David Ryans and a David Raynor, can get very confusing some times lol

Im glad you enjoyed the day Grant, i will speak to you soon in regards to the New Products lists

Cheers

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

Good Stuff! I have to admit, Rares has definitely been growing and improving year after year!

#6 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

You still need to get us that PDF catalogue Cav :P

It was a shame Raynor was in India as I was hoping to catch up with him too. Dave (S pack) - both the Dave's have accounts here, but Mr Ryan is doing a Mustang currently............you can't save everyone. :D

I think many would be amazed by how much Rares really do. I had an inkling, but when it's all stacked up in front of you -Wow.

Grant..

#7 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Dave Ryan's mustang is just one of many projects he has on the go at the moment too, In the past he's had plenty of nice GM's, 68 GTO Street machine cover car running low 11's in the early 80's, he drove one of the HK Monaro's back in the london-sydney marathon, even his summernats top5 32 coupe was running a Holden injected 5 litre. Im sure there’s plenty more iv forgotten about now

He also has at the moment 2 early Willy's 4 wheel drives, I believe Holden 6 powered but don’t quote me on that, a 1966 benz "s" class coupe about to receive a Lexus v8 and a rare '39 Chev sloper about to be street rod’d

Im pretty sure you don’t have to save him Grant haha

Edited by BIGCAV, 11 February 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#8 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

I; for 1; am appreciative to Rares for allowing us [the enthusiest] the opportunity to have a voice. Even better, is that our responses are acted apon!

Same goes to the other providers here!

Good job fellas! Thankyou. Keep the dream alive. :)

Edited by Statler, 11 February 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#9 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Eye opening to say the least. I still don't like seeing inferior product, but all their new stuff appears to be pretty good stuff. And with us, the enthusiasts help, hopefully they can improve any shortcomings. It does look like the desire is there to shed the past problems and deliver a quality product. I just couldn't believe the sheer volume of stuff in the one warehouse.
One thing that was stressed to them was their website is cr@p, and there was little argument. Mel (Les's daughter) gave me a lift to the airport and I was telling her how important it is to get the website right, AND more importantly to get the description right. It is no good saying a part, eg a fuel tank, "suits HQ" or "suits HJ". It needs to be very precise, like "suits 1974 HJ with vented fuel tank and no canister". And if they are to do clips for an engine bay, the description needs to be precise eg "for 1974 model SLR5000", or give ALL clips in the kit for all LH SLR5000, and instructions which ones belong to which car. Cataloguing by part number can be a mistake too. The biggest example that stood out to me was the use of a 28 prefix part number on repro HK GTS guards, and a 74 prefix number on HK standard guards. The 28 prefix number is from a later parts catalogue where the HK part number has been superceded by a HT/G number, hence it is wrong. Guards, no problem. Do it with little parts and you have problems. So in the end it'll be up to all of us to help wherever we can making sure the descriptions on their product is as correct as can be. All it takes is an email to Cav, Les etc to fix a problem. Getting the parts close to correct and an acceptable standard is only half the challenge. Getting the right info attached to them is the rest.

Edited by yel327, 11 February 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#10 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm glad you guys had the chance to see this for yourselves.

I've been lucky enough in the past to be invited via the Torana Forum here to meet with both Les and David, Along with the rest of the great crew at Rares.

Recently as part of the GM Restoration parts Program I was invited down as a guest of Rares, and got to witness not only the unveiling, but assist with setting up the stand (Yes Leith, I don't mind lending a hand!) :spoton:

Moreover I was taken by the guys to see a car to help dispel some of the myths about inferior rubbers and the like that were going around at the time.
Not only on that visit, but always with Rares their passion for not only the car scene but the enthusiast shone through and they really are striving to make things better.
Business is a major concern, but getting things right is another major priority.

I have the highest regard for the entire team that i met, And apologise for my absence, and i'm sure that Grant did a great Job along with Dr Terry and yel327 in flying the GMH-T Flag, and having the opportunity to see the business first hand.
I'm sorry i didnt get to meet you Byron, And Terry - I'm sure we will catch up around the traps somewhere!

I look forward to the future with Rare Spares as a sponsor of our forum, and the assistance that we gain as well as the assistance we can give to better their products and services.

Regards
Tiny

#11 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

:clap: it is good to see that they are making better parts these days

#12 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

It is good to see that Rares are upping the anti with there quality.Only seen last week that the dotloc copy's for the Xu1 air cleaners have now got dotloc on them instead of pal and there $25 a set.Don't know how long they have been out for but I ordered a set.Seen a original set sell on ebay this week for $300 plus.
cheers Dane

#13 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

Eye opening to say the least. I still don't like seeing inferior product, but all their new stuff appears to be pretty good stuff. And with us, the enthusiasts help, hopefully they can improve any shortcomings. It does look like the desire is there to shed the past problems and deliver a quality product. I just couldn't believe the sheer volume of stuff in the one warehouse.
One thing that was stressed to them was their website is cr@p, and there was little argument. Mel (Les's daughter) gave me a lift to the airport and I was telling her how important it is to get the website right, AND more importantly to get the description right. It is no good saying a part, eg a fuel tank, "suits HQ" or "suits HJ". It needs to be very precise, like "suits 1974 HJ with vented fuel tank and no canister". And if they are to do clips for an engine bay, the description needs to be precise eg "for 1974 model SLR5000", or give ALL clips in the kit for all LH SLR5000, and instructions which ones belong to which car. Cataloguing by part number can be a mistake too. The biggest example that stood out to me was the use of a 28 prefix part number on repro HK GTS guards, and a 74 prefix number on HK standard guards. The 28 prefix number is from a later parts catalogue where the HK part number has been superceded by a HT/G number, hence it is wrong. Guards, no problem. Do it with little parts and you have problems. So in the end it'll be up to all of us to help wherever we can making sure the descriptions on their product is as correct as can be. All it takes is an email to Cav, Les etc to fix a problem. Getting the parts close to correct and an acceptable standard is only half the challenge. Getting the right info attached to them is the rest.

Hi Byron
I did check those fender numbers before I went on holidays, my HK and HT both list 2813318 2813319 as GTS fenders and my HG book lists 7434040 7434041 as GTS fenders, so I am not sure who made the mistake us or GMH we can only use the references we have available. There are quite a few 28 numbers in the HK book and I do not know if they are all superseded or not , just another frustration in the parts business.
You will also notice we do have a new web site please let us know what you think.
We will endeavour to make description more precise but we can only go on the information that is available so please do let us know of any description changes that may be needed .
Thanks to all those that attended the day I believe that a lot was achieved
Les

#14 _wraith75_

_wraith75_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Nice work fellers and a PDF cataloge would be awesom .

#15 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

You still need to get us that PDF catalogue Cav :P

#16 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hi les i don't know if this is the place to put this but i don't where else to put it.

I just recently got two door skins from the rares spares store in newcastle they are for my lx hatchback they turned up damaged they had a reverse curve through the centre off the door they also had a press marks through the centre as well.
I phoned the owner off the store to tell him about the problem he was very helpfull he got me new one's i drove 4hrs up to newcastle to pick them up when i got there the new one's were not much better but i took them anyway as i needed them,this time the reverse curve was fixed but the press lines on the door was not strait ,and where the door handles are they had a little buckle in them little .
So far the panel beater has done around 30hrs to put both door skins on and fix them at $20 dollars an hour it soon adds up plus the $820 for the door skins im not very happy ive spent thousands on your gear and i have found it good stuff but the door skins were bad, sorry but i think you to have a look at the process again.
If you would like to contact me you can by email at [email protected] by the way they look good now.
cheers sting

#17 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

Any Admins still on the Rare Spares Board  :deal:

#18 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

Andrew Harvey (Harv) has facilitated considerable interaction between forum members on the FB EK and FE FC forums with Dave Ryan, most recently around windscreen rubbers not fitting. Dave is mainly on the FX FJ forum and has been very helpful getting issues resolved. Not sure if this is the Dave Ryan above or the other one, but seems to have resolved the screen rubber fitting issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,812 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

Used to be a couple of RSP fellas that would frequent this forum.

#20 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

My Rares subscribed email service still works well,

FREE FREIGHT Offer Web view:

https://rarespares.c...D402EFBD42943A3

Edited by N/A-PWR, 01 June 2020 - 02:58 PM.

#21 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

Your lucky Dave, I haven't received an email from them for zonks, despite still buying their stuff.

#22 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:30 PM

We have tried to keep in touch with their marketing people... but the woman tasked with discussions has never replied to a single email
So not sure where we are at with them being involved anymore

#23 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

We need a new GMHT/RSP Admin Team to do some rounds again :spoton:

#24 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:52 PM

Dont know why you would bother there prices seem to be dearer than everybody else in the repro business

Even with discount

#25 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:04 PM

An old firm I worked for got 50% discount from Blackwoods, and they are dear.

So a new deal for Members needed :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users