Looking for excellent gas installer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

G'day I've been doing a quick tidy up on a VK Commodore that I intend to use as a daily once it is done. I'm putting a mild 202 in it with an M76 five speed and plan to run straight LPG. Now I've sourced 98% of the parts I need for the whole project and am currently busy working on it. The only part still really left unresolved is finding a good LPG installer in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne, preferably close to the Knox area.

This is a real budget build ( and i will put up a belated build thread of it - just want to get some more work done on it first) and I'm aiming for something thats cheap to run, reliable and relatively easy to drive once its all done. I've already figured out how I'm setting up the induction system (manifold, throttle body, mixer, air intake/airbox, etc) and the converter and tank and how I plan to mount and fit all of that, but will then need someone to legally plumb the gas up to make all this work well.

So does anyone know of a good LPG installer in this area who would be willing to install the gas to my setup? I would have gone to the same guy Heath used to do his Torana but he said that guy's no longer doing business.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Mick

#2 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

i cant offer you advice in your area but in reservoir is a company called lakeside automotive

best Gas place iv ever used by a long shot, great service, willing to work with your project the way you want it, doesnt mind if you supply your own parts unlike all the other fitters, knows his stuff about performance gas setups too

in my ford club they have one of the best reps in melbourne

just a thought

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

There is one just off Lewis Rd in Knox... Ummmm gone blank on the name... My folks ended up taking their Xtrail there after Smithys in Bayswater kept stuffing them around and not servicing the system properly. Mum took the Xtrail their once, they diagnosed the problem straight away and repaired it without any bullshitting. They have been very happy with their service.

Since then I have had a few other people recommend them...

Totally blank on the name though... haha

#4 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks guys. Cavan, if I can't find anywhere closer then I might try lakeside. It sounds exactly like the type of gas installer I'm trying to find. Just that its a bit far but I could trailer it over there if necessary. Um I think its going to be hard to find one close that doesn't just want to churn out the same few crap types of conversions on all cars.

Matt I've got a feeling that one off Lewis road is the one that Heath went to who isn't doing business anymore. He said the poor bastard had some brain tumas or something. Unless there's another one off Lewis Road. I did a quick google search but couldn't find it. Might trawl some other forums to see what experiences people have had.

Any other recommendations, anyone?

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'm an excellent gas installer........................but you couldn't afford me. :)

#6 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

I'm having the SS done with liquid injected soon, the place is Auto Gas Injection down near Frankston, but not sure if they can help you? Their number is 9783 2777, guy to speak to is Rob.

Steve

#7 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:41 AM

lpgas 1 in lilydale did mine they have been doing it for years and did a good job

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

This is the one I'm talking about, not sure if its the same one heath went to?

Rob's Automotive LP Gas 1 Posted Image 35 Wadhurst Dr, Boronia VIC 3155(03) 9800 3300

http://www.robsautomotive.com.au/

#9 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

I've been recommeded D+M Automotive in Narre Warren, although the people Heath went to have a good rep and I was impressed with his work, I'm not sure if he is part of the LPGAS1 umbrella, if he isn't I don't recommend him! No conflict of interest there :blink2:

#10 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

I'm an excellent gas installer........................but you couldn't afford me. :)

I must be missing the joke or something Rob. Is there a punchline or something that I'm just missing?

#11 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

This is the one I'm talking about, not sure if its the same one heath went to?

Rob's Automotive LP Gas 1 Posted Image 35 Wadhurst Dr, Boronia VIC 3155(03) 9800 3300

http://www.robsautomotive.com.au/

Alright thanks Matt. I guess I'll give them a call and find out. Just want to talk to a couple of places and see if they're willing to set it up the way I want with some of the parts I plan to supply.

#12 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

I must be missing the joke or something Rob. Is there a punchline or something that I'm just missing?

Sorry, I read "budget build" and thought you wanted a cheap job. I'll make a phone call on the weekend.

#13 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

Sorry, I read "budget build" and thought you wanted a cheap job. I'll make a phone call on the weekend.

So you actually do LPG installations? I would be interested but it depends how expensive. I will be supplying the tank, convertor, mixer and using the VK EFI throttle body and inlet manifold. So basically what I pay to the installer I'm hoping to not be more than $500 bucks out of pocket for after i get the rebate, which is currently $1500. Or am i dreaming?

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

Where I went was A&M Automotive (off Lewis rd too) and I absolutely could not speak higher of Anthony there. However, certain personal issues arose and consequently that company is no longer doing business. I hear that he is getting back into the industry and look forward to him being an available resource, but I don't know the details yet.

To answer your last question, I paid $10 ontop of the $1750 rebate. I supplied old out-of-date tank, a new converter, a good used mixer and the manifold & adapter setup. And he admits that he was an expensive installer.

But I would not go for cheap, there is plenty of 'cheap' in the LPG industry, you don't need to look hard. But that shit is for pedestrian cars and you don't want it. Disorganized wiring, untidy line paths, poor tune, plastic hose fittings etc. Anyone can do cheap - go for proper direct recommendations not some heresay shit. I know of heaps of people who work in the gas trade but I'm not going to recommend anyone who's work I can't vouch for, and there's only one person I'll vouch for

I'm going to need a good gas installer soon as well Mick! ;)

Edited by Heath, 19 February 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#15 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Swift performance (old GRA) on the south side of dandenong. Excellent problem solvers. Usually happy to talk about/do odd and custom installations.
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users