1977 Bathurst 'One - Two'.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _vbvbvb088_

_vbvbvb088_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

One for your views...

Totally revered� by all who know respects the older machines. IMO the 1977 �One-Two� totally dominant.

The 1984 James Hardie 1,000 same result.... VK triumph.

Recently Supercars had the same result.

But why does the 1977 �One � Two�.. remains the most dominant�

Matt

#2 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

The cars did the whole track in formation? First 1-2 at the Mountain?

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

Great way to break a two year drought, they even got the numbers right.

Posted Image

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:12 AM

1977 dominant? I don't get the question. If you mean the most dominant display then 1979 is the standout followed probably by 1968, then maybe the Godzillas after that. 1977 is probably one of the least remembered in my opinion, at least correctly remembered. Most people think the cars were XC Cobras and get a shock to see they aren't! I don't think it takes much hindsight to realise why the Fords won either, they were such a well sorted and proven package by then having won also in 1973 and 1974 in the same cars. GMH's new A9X was new, unproven and not yet sorted. I think you'll find 1977 is only revered and talked up by the dark side. Like all the hype about PhaseIII's, they don't have much else to crow about! ALl my opinion of course!

#5 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

They created there own controversy at the time as the number 2 car was faster but was ordered to sit back of number 1 car ,
this was denied at the time but proven correct by drivers a while later. i think
Colin Bond and Alan Hamilton regretted it to this day,
as for A9X cars been unsorted,thats dribble they had the all new great combination against Fords 5 year old half worn out cars,

Edited by nicko61, 17 February 2011 - 07:44 AM.

#6 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

just my thoughts/theory , although not the first time moffat had had team 1/2's i think either 70 or 71.i think he led home a 123 . it was the first formation finish everybody allways remembers the first .
the first time they stayed in formation for the finishing laps and the smoke coming from moffs car and what was bondy going to do ,janson catching up,the bloke with the akubra cant think of his name not telling what was wrong with moffs car it all adds to the hype and people dont forget this stuff. it sticks in their mind,it becomes the legend.just like 76 it stays in peoples minds when there is a nail biter .if its like last year wgaf it was going to happen you could hear the engineer talking and there was no threat boring bs,i doubt you will hear anyone talking much about it.and as for 84 well yeah awesome for what it was hdt finally managed to do it but you knew later in that day that all threat had been removed and their was little doubt it was going to happen anyway.the only interesting bit was brocky slowing to walking pace just about waiting for his mate and would he make it in time to cross the line together that was brilliant but not on the same level for adreneline .
funny you put this post up as i have often thought the same thing.why?and the above was my way sort of of nutting it out.
and yeah funny the amount of people that wont have a bar of them being the older xb with the xc front.they still believe them to be the cobra but as i say its part of the legend and very hard to change.
happy days irrespective of what your personal choice and we were blessed to have had them.

Edited by rob350hatch, 17 February 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#7 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

They created there own controversy at the time as the number 2 car was faster but was ordered to sit back of number 1 car ,
this was denied at the time but proven correct by drivers a while later. i think
Colin Bond and Alan Hamilton regretted it to this day,
as for A9X cars been unsorted,thats dribble they had the all new great combination against Fords 5 year old half worn out cars,

Dribble? Hmmm (bites tongue). I think the end result is all the proof necessary. Same result as L34 Bathurst debut - Ford won, unsorted and unproved Torana didn't (albeit unlucky not to win). Of GMH product only the mighty HK GTS327 managed to dominate and win on debut in those times, following closely in the footsteps of the XR GT in 1967. Not to be repeated by a Holden/Torana/Commodore until Brock's 1980 win in a VC Commodore, Ford managed a lucky but not dominant debut win in the XA GT in 1973. 1968 was such a dominant display that it prompted Ford to build the GT-HO (which promptly lost to the HT GTS350 in 1969). As for half worn out cars, maybe they were, but they won. Just ask HDT people from 1987 what a half worn out car can do!

#8 _vbvbvb088_

_vbvbvb088_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

just my thoughts/theory , although not the first time moffat had had team 1/2's i think either 70 or 71.i think he led home a 123 . it was the first formation finish everybody allways remembers the first .
the first time they stayed in formation for the finishing laps and the smoke coming from moffs car and what was bondy going to do ,janson catching up,the bloke with the akubra cant think of his name not telling what was wrong with moffs car it all adds to the hype and people dont forget this stuff. it sticks in their mind,it becomes the legend.just like 76 it stays in peoples minds when there is a nail biter .if its like last year wgaf it was going to happen you could hear the engineer talking and there was no threat boring bs,i doubt you will hear anyone talking much about it.and as for 84 well yeah awesome for what it was hdt finally managed to do it but you knew later in that day that all threat had been removed and their was little doubt it was going to happen anyway.the only interesting bit was brocky slowing to walking pace just about waiting for his mate and would he make it in time to cross the line together that was brilliant but not on the same level for adreneline .
funny you put this post up as i have often thought the same thing.why?and the above was my way sort of of nutting it out.
and yeah funny the amount of people that wont have a bar of them being the older xb with the xc front.they still believe them to be the cobra but as i say its part of the legend and very hard to change.
happy days irrespective of what your personal choice and we were blessed to have had them.

'happy days irrespective of what your personal choice and we were blessed to have had them.' Excellent.

Group 'C' was tops... but IMO Group 'A' was better. Once a year my mates come over and we watch the 1986 'James Hardie 1000'. IMO the 'Peter Jackson' Nissan Skyline Turbo's were excellent. And I really respect the 'Datsun Bluebird' for 1984 pole. My fave holden Commodore - 1979 VB Repco. .... but the 1987 Bob Jane T-Marts VL is a car that no-one remembers.

#9 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

yeah i was reading about number 10 it wasnt supposed to last the first few laps.must of had a couple of left over polarizers bolted to it and the good doctors blessing lol
and on those datsuns 1987 in the rain the in car from setons car was just awesome.still got it on an old grainy video somewhere

Edited by rob350hatch, 17 February 2011 - 09:53 AM.

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Methinks those in charge today should take note of group C and group A and get rid of these stupid silouettes racing today. Soon they will all be the same car with different brand engines. Just don't allow any Volvos to race!

#11 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

hang about we did before lol.remember dick when one went past him and he said something like he has his doctors bag wound up.funny

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

I remember them, just hated seeing them racing and don't want to ever see that again!

#13 _vbvbvb088_

_vbvbvb088_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

hang about we did before lol.remember dick when one went past him and he said something like he has his doctors bag wound up.funny

.... and DJ referring to the Volvo as the 'Swedish Valiant'. (1985 Bathurst)

#14 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:00 AM

the bloke with the akubra cant think of his name

Alan Grice?

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

There was a lot going on into the leadup of this race. Moffat and Bond had a very good year, good leadership and budget. Holden made the mistake of introducing the A9X too late. The issue most A9X teams didn't realise (and I have covered this before) was the larger rear area allowed larger rear tyres with a larger bag and rolling diameter, which stuffed up all the teams calculations on gearing, plus caused other issues. Look at the Brock car with the tyres rubbing. Watch the video and see HDT changing the diff after practice. They took the car up with tall gearing and realised they were way out, watch them changing the diff from the road car, which simply couldn't last the distance.
The Moffat Falcons actually turned up with bonnet scops like the A9X, which they were told to remove and fill the holes.
Many people believe Moffat didn't deserve to win,and Colin Bond should have passed him, but I think John Harvey said it best when Brock took over his car in 83, "it's a team effort and at the end of the day the team won".
I think the 888 racing 1,2 of last year was a really good effort too. Regardless of how abstract the cars are from the road cars, the competition is very very strong and they still deserve the acknowledgement.

#16 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

That 10 odd year period mid 70 to 80's were the glory days for me, my early teens were well effected by the racing and I can remember lots of it like yesterday.
Red has it nailed but I think that the ford 1 2 is as important to 'them' as the 79 win is to us.
The media have fostered and grown the whole ford Holden tribal shit and while quite real, it needs 'hero ' moments on both sides.
At the end of the day, I value the ford 1
2 finish as an important Moment In motorsport history , rather than a ford moment.
In rhe same fashion that I wouldn't own a ford, but appreciate the HO

#17 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

yes agree harvey the ultimate team player and a man i feel to be an unsung hero who saved the best till last 1986 of course.and from what i can gather tolerated a lot behind the scenes as well.a driver whose efforts were largely overlooked due to the presence of the brock factor.funny even my replica harvey/negus car with harvey in huge letters on the front and everyone says "oh you built brocky's
car awesome"its still happening to harvey to this day.
and yeah i took a car to bathurst with a 2.6 salisbury only because of lack of time .what a shit that was going up but going down was fun.

Edited by rob350hatch, 19 February 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#18 _artworxfx_

_artworxfx_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Coming from a Holden family, And As 16 year old Holden/Brock fan back in 1977, I remember thinking how hurt I was to see that 1-2 formation finish! I was shattered to think that, that Bloke called Moffat and "our boy " Bondy had beat the Toranas, in such a dominating fashion!

Today as I write this I am a 50 year old OLD GUY! ,Looking back now, Even today, to see those helicopter shots down Conrod at the end will always be etched in my mind as one of those great moments at the mountain!, Of course now in 2011, I am glad I was around to see the Moffat Bond 1- 2, as I really appreciate what we had in that great era! I appreciate all things Group C and its cars amd drivers!

It wa s great to see The Brock / Harvey 1-2 in 84, but I still think 77 just edges it out , Maybe because it was the first one ! I dont want to argue which one was better, that is a personal choice??

But at the end of the day History shows that Bathurst History was the winner, and that 34 years later we are still talking about it with passion! The Bathurst Legion lives on, and we must never forget the names of many those great drivers, from that great era! There are too many to mention, and some are not neccesarily winners either!

I have attached one of my hand illustrated prints of that famous Moffat Bond ONE TWO as a tribute to that famous finish of 1977! Long Live Group C!

Attached Files

Edited by artworxfx, 20 February 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#19 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

exactly :iagree:
and nice drawing do you have others for us to see from group c?

#20 _artworxfx_

_artworxfx_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

THANX rob 350 I have a few prints! I loved that era, as I mentioned! I am just trying in my small way to keep GROUP C alive for the future!! Here is my personal artwork of Brocky I had him sign it july 2006 It hangs proudly on my wall here at home I have pics of him actually signing it to prove its worth! Its my treasure! I will show you on here soon!

Edited by artworxfx, 21 February 2011 - 12:20 PM.

#21 _artworxfx_

_artworxfx_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

THANX rob 350 I have a few prints! I loved that era, as I mentioned! I am just trying in my small way to keep GROUP C alive for the future!! Here is my personal artwork of Brocky I had him sign it july 2006 It hangs proudly on my wall here at home I have pics of him actually signing it to prove its worth! Its my treasure! I will show you on here soon! Here it is as promised!!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users