LX steering issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hey Guys. i just gotta little problem here with a steering fluid of some soft leaking all out over the rubber bellow.

https://cache.gmh-to...d2/DSCN2489.jpg
https://cache.gmh-to...d2/DSCN2491.jpg

only just noticed this the other day when i took my trye off. Also my brakes have been grinding under stopping or heavy application has been doing it for about 2-4 weeks but i am getting that all fixed soon, would the vibrations upset something in the steering area?

So what would you guys recomend i do? cheap fix if possible.

Thanks. Aaron.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

Looks to me like a torn rack boot. The rack has a heavy oil in it, 140 from memory.

#3 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

sounds exspensive

#4 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

HAHA i only just realised u said "boot" i thought u said "bolt"
Sounds Cheap...

#5 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Arron

You are leaking some of your .33 pnt of 140 SAE Hypoid oil. (200ml)

I have just tackled this area on the X.

There are 2 types of boots fitted to LH-LX and UCs are different again.

LH and early LX use a boot that has a large and small end clamp style that is a band with a nut and bolt to tighten.

Late LX have a small clip like a hose clamp and fencing wire wrapped twice on the large end (no joke).

If someone has been there before it may have cable ties or irrigation pipe type clamps.

Drive Pro (07 3889 7366) have a boot to suit, part number 62.001 you may find others also.

UC uses 62.023

Because the oil will dribble out when you remove the old boot, it is best to remove the rack. If you release the small clips on the boots you should be able to wind the steering arms out of the tie rod ends to save you the hassle and tooling of removing the tie rods from the steering arms. (this can stuff them)
2 bolts to the cross member and then F**k around with the steering coupling and your out.

Good Luck

#6 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

Arron

I have just looked at you pictures and you have the later small end with the wide hose clamp with the fencing wire for the big end?(big end not clear in photo).

For simplicity just use the cable ties that come with the boots from Drive Pro or get some elsewhere.

Cheers.

#7 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

Cheers mate, i appriciate it.

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

Geez Baron von Dark, with that much info, you might as well pop around and finish the job off for him yourself :spoton:

Just kidding - that sort of in depth info is what makes this forum a real winner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users