rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

Though I wouldn't buy it at Blackwoods.

Careful mate, you might be putting a forum members Dad out of a job?

Mick, once you get the head off, check the height of the locating dowels in comparison to the depth of the dowel holes in the head. If you shave the head, there's a chance that the dowels can bottom out in the holes before the head is correctly tensioned.

Edited by rodomo, 18 July 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#77 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi Mike,

We unless you cooked it (which seems highly un likely) then I doubt its warped.

We have just had to replace the head gasket on the DeSoto, and used locktite number 3 gasket sealant, similar to hylomar all over the head gasket, perhaps worth a look for extra safety.

Cheers.

Stewart.

Not sure if I'll apply any extra sealant to the head gasket. If everything checks out flat then I think I'll just clean it all up and fit a new head gasket, sealing the head bolts properly this time.

Hey how is the DeSoto going?

#78 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Mick, once you get the head off, check the height of the locating dowels in comparison to the depth of the dowel holes in the head. If you shave the head, there's a chance that the dowels can bottom out in the holes before the head is correctly tensioned.

Thanks for mentioning that. I'll check. How would you suggest rectifying this if the locating dowel heights are greater than the depth of the holes? Shave the dowels down, or drill the holes deeper? Or something else I haven't thought of?

#79 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Cover everything and file/grind in the direction so the filings go off the block.
Dont draw the file backwards over the block.

#80 _stooy_

_stooy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Sorry Rob, don't mean to put anyone out of a job, I have found them very expensive for basic bits compared to Bursons, CBC etc.

The DeSoto is back together, but we haven't run it yet. Maybe tomorrow night.

You really shouldn't need sealant, if everything is going well...

#81 _beige_lj_

_beige_lj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hahah i wouldnt stress, hes only been there for 30 or so years!!!

#82 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

Well I pulled the head off today. It wasn't blatantly apparent, but when I looked closely at the gasket surface on the head side, it looked as though some coolant had possibly been seeping across to the pushrod holes. Ignore the really rusty bits on the edges. They're from when the car was parked outside for months getting frosty.
Posted Image

I cleaned everything up and checked the head and block surfaces against a straight edge, and there was no visible variance.

The height of the locating dowels was less than the depth of their corresponding holes. So that wasn't a problem. I honestly think that when I rushed the head onto the short motor the first time, I didn't adequately seal the head bolts and that I was just generally careless.

So I carefully put it all back together with a new head gasket, running a tap down the head bolt holes. I replaced the sump full of milk with a sump full of oil and new oil filter and took it for a drive. I've driven it about 60 kms tonight and touch wood, the oil appears ok. Hopefully no more water gets in the oil.

Just to make sure that my comedy of errors continued, however, when I was fitting the new water pump I snapped one of the bolts due to some crap in the thread and me being a retard. The water pump still seals but I'm gonna have to pull it off again and try an easy-out on that bolt.

#83 _stooy_

_stooy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Good Stuff Mick,

Can't wait to see the beast!

I hate when that happens be really careful with ezy outs!

Cheers

Stewart

#84 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Is it just me or does it look like a significant part of the water galleries are obscured with the head gasket? Could this be causing your problem?

#85 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

You mean the small hole in the gasket compared to the large gallery in the head? its an acl gasket they're all like that, I've used them they're good never had problems like that. Having seen it everything seems to check out, reckon it was an assembly issue (sorry mick lol)

#86 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

Is it just me or does it look like a significant part of the water galleries are obscured with the head gasket? Could this be causing your problem?

You know I that didn't even occur to me. I'm not sure if that would obscure the flow of coolant through the block or not. I hope not because I've put it back together and I think the new head gasket is much the same. I drove it about 150kms today and so far it is all good. No coolant in the oil and everything else appears fine.

#87 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

You mean the small hole in the gasket compared to the large gallery in the head? its an acl gasket they're all like that, I've used them they're good never had problems like that. Having seen it everything seems to check out, reckon it was an assembly issue (sorry mick lol)

I agree. I rushed it on the first time. My head was very bleary from working on Brad's car non stop and then getting this piece of crap and spraying it in four days. But I'm hoping its ok now.

#88 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

Spotto. :ph34r:
Outside the midday strip club cnr Lonsdale and King.

Attached Files

#89 _beige_lj_

_beige_lj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Spotto. :ph34r:
Outside the midday strip club cnr Lonsdale and King.

Lol good one Rob!!

#90 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

and i spose there was a break down out the front of the stripper then rob??? haha

#91 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

nah they were in the back :)

#92 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

hahaha. I came back to my car and saw a ticket on the window and thought oh no its a parking ticket, then noticed that it said RACV roadside assist and thought WTF. But when I noticed that it said 'RODOMO' I pissed myself. ahahaha, you're very funny Rob.

#93 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

This thread is making me think of things which could get me in alot of trouble with the missis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users