LJ- LX diff mount differences

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _dansa_

_dansa_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

This may be an easy one. I have an LX sedan, but I don't have an LC or LJ around anywhere to compare to. I was wondering how the diffs differ between the two, I know the LJ would be shorter, but I am unsure as to whether the mounting points are the same or not. I know of a 9 inch that has been modified to suit an LJ and and I was hoping it may fit the LX with minor modification. I've honestly never looked at an LJ before, so this may be a blonde question.

#2 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

LC/LJ spring/shock mounts and lower trailing arms are closer together, cant remember if the upper trailing arms are different.

#3 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

i fitted an lc/lj diff into my lx Torana while i waited for my diff to be modified so i could still move it around, i managed to get it to fit but it was not easy the mounts top and botom and the spring mounts are in different positions and you will no doubt have an issue with the width of the diff housing. I put stock 5" torry wheels on and they JUST cleared the shocks , so if you want to run that width housing, then your wheels would have to have something like 2.5 or 3 inch backspace i would think. The cost of moving the mounts and the wheel offset options are probably enough reason to can the idea. BTW too expensive to widen the diff housing /axles and move the mounts in my opinion.

#4 _dansa_

_dansa_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for your advice guys

#5 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 August 2023 - 09:09 AM

Anybody got the dimensions close at hand? There are a couple of Banjo's on Fbook for sale but they are unsure if they are LJ or LH. A flange to flange measurement should probably do.

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 09:33 AM

You'll tell by the axles and brakes Laurie. LC-LJ have the old HK-HG style bearings. LH-UC use the HQ-V? style bearings.

The following might help if no brakes and axles are in. Whomever wrote it doesn't understand Holden and Torana too well as they have different diff widths for stuff that is the same like HK-HG and LH-UC. But it'll get you close, like low 1300's for LC-LJ and low 1400's for LH-UC.

BORGWARNER DIFF CONVERSIONS - TECH TORQUE (whichcar.com.au)

#7 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 04 August 2023 - 11:45 AM

Anybody got the dimensions close at hand? There are a couple of Banjo's on Fbook for sale but they are unsure if they are LJ or LH. A flange to flange measurement should probably do.

LH/LX are 1440 from bolt up face to bolt up face.

#8 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 04 August 2023 - 12:54 PM

I get 1360mm thereabouts for LC.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

#9 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2023 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys. As it turns out they are both LH and going cheap so I will pick them up tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users