186 bog stock

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

my lj has a stock 186 with extractors
i would like some more go and i was thinking somthing along the lines of a cam and carby
what would u guys recomend
im not after a heap of power

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

Check Camshaft manufacturer's websites for an idea of what kinda driving certain cams suit. Get something with a suitable power range for your driving style...

Cams, go as large or small as you want, if I wasn't going strait gas i'd just bolt a Varijet II on there, worlds ahead of the std 1bbl Stromberg.

#3 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

ok i was having a gander at my motor and i noticed that its got a 2 barrel carb on it
any 1 now how i can see wat type it is
plus my mate has a 173 head so do u boys reackon its worth boltin this beast on with a cam and some valve springs?

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

You will make more power with a stock cam and a modified head, than a stock head and a hot cam. You will make even more power with a hot cam and a modified head, but how much do you want to spend?

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

Yeah man stick the 173 Head on there fore sure. Make sure everything can cope with the high compression easily though... (you'll be running XU-1 comp)

Some new valve springs would be a nice addition. Make sure you include the cost of lifters in the cam change as well. May as well execute it all at once to save man-hours and gaskets. Good luck

Post a photo of the carb, someone will recognize it; but I doubt I will.

Edited by Heath, 18 May 2006 - 10:20 PM.

#6 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

if i was to bolt on the 173 head would i beable to run regular unleaded or would i have to run optimax and so on

#7 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

Heya Welcome ot the forum, I've moved your thread to the correct section ( general help )!

Hopefully You'll get more exposure there and even more answers
Cheers.

#8 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

oky doky fare enough

#9 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

if i was to bolt on the 173 head would i beable to run regular unleaded or would i have to run optimax and so on

???

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

These engines were originally designed for 98 octane, so premium unleaded would be best. I personally would be spending $400 on the head for a reco and hardened valve seats for reliability. This of course depends on how many KM you would expect to do with this motor.

#11 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

I also would be looking at twin carbs or getting the twin barrel loocked into to see whether it is tuned or needs a rebuild. teh ww strommy is one great carby and it would service you well. The head on the other hand would be better ir you stayed with what you got, and modified this. the 186 head is far better than the 173 head will be. For a good cam look at a towing cam, this will maximise your torque and really allow you to motor on.

Cheers

PS: I too like chopper would get my valves and seats done. this will ensure that the springs and valve train are in the best contidtion they can be...

#12 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

Definitely agree there with sticking with the 186 head, carb and cam info. The 186 head has adjustable rockers, which the 173 head won't. Re the carb, it's probably going to be either a Holley 350, or a two barrel stromberg carb. I'd prefer a Stromberg 2 barrel in good nick to a Holley 350 in good nick on a mild 6.

Looking at the big picture, make sure the carb is in good nick and tuned well, add Commodore electronic ignition, and if you have the $$, think about a Yella Terra changeover head for the 186. Stick with the adjustable rocker gear though, ie get a Yella Tera head to suit a 161, 179 or 186, not a 173, and make sure it has hardened valve seats so it will work OK with unleaded fuel.

That would make a nice package, with all the bits working together.

#13 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

Hey mate!
Dont use the 173 head. I'd stick with what you've got as the adjustable rocker gear is on it already. My suggestion would be to rip your head off for some strengthening, get new pushrods and lifters, a new cam and carby. Get a nice exhaust to let it flow too (no bigger than 1 1/2" otherwise it'll lose power)...

I'm running a 179HP in my UC which is now bored to 186. I'm running a 350 Holley with a proven 135rwhp. Thats a damn good effort. My cam is a Dynotec XU-1 cam, and it goes and sounds mean too!

It all depends on how much you want to spend.... Power = $$$$

Give yourself $1500 - 2000 and you'll have a very powerful 186!!
Keith

#14 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

Keith I think you mean 2 1/2" but for a mild engine probably too big, I would look at a 2" or maybe 2 1/4" exhuast would best suit your needs.

#15 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

OOPS!! Typo there - yes - 2 1/2"...

#16 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

I changed my exhaust from a 2 1/4" down to a 2" and got quite a noticable gain in torque. Lost a little bit of top end, (I doubt you would wanna spend much time about 3500RPM with a stock Holden 6 anyways) but the bottem end grunt gained well and truely made up for it. Thats with a stock 173.

Steve

#17 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

thanks for all the advise
im not planing on doing heaps to the motor coz om planing on building a 202 capapble of 13's so the 186 wont be around for that long
so do u boys recomend a bit of porting with a cam and a dyno tune maybe?

#18 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

thanks for all the advise
im not planing on doing heaps to the motor coz om planing on building a 202 capapble of 13's so the 186 wont be around for that long
so do u boys recomend a bit of porting with a cam and a dyno tune maybe?

Correct. I would do a heap on the 186 head and get it brillant. that way you can then transfer this to the 202 you build and all will be well.....

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users