- - - - -

****** CARBY LS1 SLR ******

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 _jsp_

_jsp_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

I have pictures of the engine bay smoothing process on my blog, and will be adding some information to the photos soon :buttrock:

http://slr5000.blogspot.com/

Edited by jsp, 12 May 2011 - 06:54 AM.

#27 _jsp_

_jsp_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

Some people might remeber this thread a while back bagging out a car for sale on ebay from Gympie which i then bought :-p http://www.gmh-toran...l-sorry-for-it/

Attached Files

Edited by jsp, 06 June 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#28 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

So how do you get past rego with a carb LS1
Or don't they notice such things up your way ?

Here you have to comply with the emission regs of the engine if its newer than the car... so no carbs on LS engines

HSV did a carb LS1.........

#29 _ls1torana_

_ls1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

My names Josh and i have a passion for panel beating. I have started a blog on the journey i will be going through Restoring an LH torana that will have a CARBY LS1 on Nitros powering it ;) Become a follower on blogger to check out my regular updares would be good to have a descent following. Worth a look at least any way. Cheers everyone :)
http://slr5000.blogspot.com/

gday would you be able to tell me the engine mounts you used and sump

#30 _jsp_

_jsp_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Below is a link to my LS1 on the dyno making 561 hp N/A :buttrock:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jrQQYerBqro

#31 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

Nice work JSP!!

#32 _Darklord_

_Darklord_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

did you end up getting rego?

#33 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Below is a link to my LS1 on the dyno making 561 hp N/A :buttrock:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jrQQYerBqro

Good stuff!!

I'll have to do some upgrades to get mine in that neighborhood....all in time :lol:

#34 _ls1chook_

_ls1chook_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

Hey who is licensing yours cause I was told mine wouldn't be licensed cause my ls1 is carb'd

#35 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

That is some pretty awesome NA power

I to am intrigued to whether you managed rego with the carby as well

#36 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

The rules for modifying cars are different in each state, the carby LS1 is definitely a no go in WA.

I don't think a carb LS1 is legal QLD or in fact any state. However even if a carb LS1 is legal in QLD that is no help to you if you live in WA.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 14 July 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#37 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

Oh yeah i knew that, just curious for my jealousy haha

#38 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

didn't the old/early iron blocked truck ones come out carby fed?
they MAY be legal

#39 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

I have not heard of a factory carby LS1. I have read that the truck intake manifolds are taller than the car manifolds but still EFI.

#40 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

You could buy a carb LS1 crate motor from GM, but there was never one factory installed in anything.

As said the truck intake is indeed taller (I have a 6.0 liter powered truck myself actually)

#41 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

To be any real help there would need to be a Australian complianced vehicle that was released with a carby LS1.

If you fit and engine with the same pollution gear as an Australian complianced vehicle then the emission testing is usually waived. If you alter the engine configuration or fit an engine that has not been fitted in a Australian complianced vehicle then you will have to pass an emissions test. Even just modifying the factory tune is technically enough to require emission testing.

The typical engine swap rule is that you have to comply with the emission standards of the donor vehicle. You are not allowed to fit engines from vehicles with lower emission standards.

In the case of crate engines where there is no donor vehicle then it appears that you have a choice of the Australian compliance vehicle or the Australian emission standards for year of engine manufacture. The year of engine manufacture is where things get murky however I don't see how it could be any earlier than 1997 for a LS1.

You could get lucky and get someone that does not know what they are doing or thinks it is a SBC and pass registration. In WA every day vehicles pass inspection with modifications that are not legal or should have been approved by an engineer.

They should also knock back rego if there is plumbing for NO2 even if it is not operational.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 18 July 2011 - 11:47 AM.

#42 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

I have not heard of a factory carby LS1. I have read that the truck intake manifolds are taller than the car manifolds but still EFI.

lol been wrong before.....sure i'll be wrong again :fighting:
cheers dude :)

#43 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL, 03 VY SS

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:26 AM

To be any real help there would need to be a Australian complianced vehicle that was released with a carby LS1.

If you fit and engine with the same pollution gear as an Australian complianced vehicle then the emission testing is usually waived. If you alter the engine configuration or fit an engine that has not been fitted in a Australian complianced vehicle then you will have to pass an emissions test. Even just modifying the factory tune is technically enough to require emission testing.

The typical engine swap rule is that you have to comply with the emission standards of the donor vehicle. You are not allowed to fit engines from vehicles with lower emission standards.

In the case of crate engines where there is no donor vehicle then it appears that you have a choice of the Australian compliance vehicle or the Australian emission standards for year of engine manufacture. The year of engine manufacture is where things get murky however I don't see how it could be any earlier than 1997 for a LS1.

You could get lucky and get someone that does not know what they are doing or thinks it is a SBC and pass registration. In WA every day vehicles pass inspection with modifications that are not legal or should have been approved by an engineer.

They should also knock back rego if there is plumbing for NO2 even if it is not operational.

I think with crate motors as they didn't come out of a ADR donor car it go's on the ADR of the vehicle it is going in, as in the rule of which ever ADR is younger hence what you meant about not being able to put a older motor in a newer car.

#44 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:49 AM

An engine swap can not be registered in WA without "approval in principal" from the Perth Technical Section.

When I was in the process of filling in my application to modify a light vehicle I asked the Perth Technical Section if I could run a carby on my LS2 crate motor. I was told that they would not even consider giving "approval in principal" to replacing EFI with a carby. I was also told that if I modified the engine or engine management system then I would be required to pass an emissions test.

You could try arguing with a government department however it would be cheaper and easier to just fit EFI and Cats.

#45 _Fugly_

_Fugly_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Looks like your LS# install is progressing well, i am also doing a LS# into LH conversion & thanks to one of your blog links i found the new valve covers i am going to use :).
Will be looking forward to further updates

#46 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

so what are the rules on lpg only ones then?

#47 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,836 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Looks like your LS# install is progressing well, i am also doing a LS# into LH conversion & thanks to one of your blog links i found the new valve covers i am going to use :).

Still got the Chrysler mate?

#48 _Fugly_

_Fugly_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Still got the Chrysler mate?

Yes, it's still going....... most of the time

#49 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Ring rego
They would know better than the keyboard warriors

#50 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Ring rego
They would know better than the keyboard warriors

he he....well i have to take a another fraurd over soonish....so may ask
was only asking to file away till i was in a position to seriously consider it anyway :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users