49 replies to this topic

#1 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:14 PM

I only just thought of sharing this with everyone,oops......
When i was looking around to insure my baby last august.... well when mum was looking around for me we found it was gunna be way expensive to insure my tory comprehensive and most paces would only do it for a value of.. wait for it... 1500 bucks!!! shannons wouldnt insure me comprehensive because i was only 17, so we had to go elsewhere, mum rang GIO to get a price from them and the dude on the phone was a torana man himself and recomended "vintage and veterans" insurance, long story short, there are no restrictions on where you drive, how often or when, if your car is more then 30 years old, then you can have- Salvage rights, agreed value, i think choice of repairer... and here is the kicker, i got mine insured for 10Gs with salvage rights in my name (remember i was only 17 at the time, and had my liscence for just over 2 months) for only 400 bucks!! what a kicker!! so for all the young blokes or sheilas or even some of you old faithfuls, check it out.
CHEERS, Chris

#2 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Yep mate im on that as well its a top deal for young blokes & chicks, i know i will be buying "vintage/classic" cars until i am at least 25yrs old beacuse of insurance.

#3 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

that sounds niec and cheap...i'll be giving them a call for my SS to see how they go with a V8 with a 22 year old. I was quotes over $2000 from all places except Shannons at this stage. thanks for the info orangeLJ.

#4 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

Sounds great do you guys have some contact details their?????
Good Work!!!

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

That's unbelievable!

Thankyou very much for that info, good on ya mate!

#6 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thanks champ! much appreciated. I'm with SGIC atm, but once the year is up, i'll know where to go :)

#7 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:28 PM

Just remembered that i think you can only have so many mods though or they at least have to be legal. As long as you tell the insurer everything about your car and continue to do so there is no way they will knock a claim back (god forbid it happens) as working in insurance i see this all the time.

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:19 PM

Nice work! I might do that for the HQ! Thanks for that!!!!! Legend! :spoton:

#9 _trav_

_trav_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

that sounds awesome...i've got comprehensive insurance but with my dads name on it as well and im only allowed to travel 8000kms a year..that was $1500 with shannons...it sucks being 18 with a 253...anyway are there any contact details for that company orangeLJ??

cheers
trav

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

If only I knew about this when I was younger...

#11 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

have you got a contact number for them mate?how are they with mods.. wheels, exhaust etc etc..

#12 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

Exhaust, Murals, Chromed widened wheels, lowered, bright green, under 20yoa... they'll love me.

#13 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

orangeLJ you just put a big smile on my face! now all i can say is details! details! details! thanks alot mate, kind of you to share this info here as i'm sure you know there are many young torry goers that frequent these forums like myself! thanks again mate!

#14 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

Thanks alot mate. Its always a bonus when u can show ya oldies this when they are making up excuses for u not to get a torana.

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

Exhaust, Murals, Chromed widened wheels, lowered, bright green, under 20yoa... they'll love me.

Stroker V8, 2door Hatch, Flares, Spoiler, Scoop, Drop Tank, Dual Exhaust, CD player, Sub, Mags, Lowered, Paint. I think they will love me more!

And 19yo....

Edited by 253ToranaSS, 16 May 2006 - 10:05 PM.

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

hahaha sucks to be you Matt!

If I insure it on CH plates, It'll be later this year. Try 16yo...

#17 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

thats bgucken awesome! I wish I knew of these guys ages ago.. could of done with that full comp when I had my bingle.. BUGGER!!!

#18 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

So is vintage and veterans a company or do you just ask for that type of insurance?

#19 _G-Train_

_G-Train_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

Thats great info and perfect timing but Google has never heard of an insurer trading as vintage and veteran or vice-a-versa?

Which insurer did you go through.

I presume it was Shannons or NRMA Vintage and veteran Package?

#20 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

i think he said it was Thru GIO under Vintage and Veterans.

#21 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

still sounds like a great deal ... I wonder how much the excess for that policy would be though.

Can't wait for the details of which company it's under ... I'm sick of stupid pricing for quotes for the car ...

-Al

#22 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

i'm definately gonna be keeping an eye on this thread. i'm actually looking forward to getting a insurance quote, scary huh

#23 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

Geez... seems like everyone pays a lot for insurance. The deal was with GIO insurance. Im pretty sure my mum just got their information line number out of the phone book. The "Vintage and Veterans" part is like a special thing for older cars. The bloke my mum spoke to said that it USED to have a driving limit on it but they removed it for some reason (i'll ask her tonight all about it) but yeh, who can complain. My LJ is lowered, has mags, big sound system, extractors, triples, custom exhaust and new paint, they still insured me. Good to hear i could help out a few people.
(i would have put the phone number on here but its a bit hard to find a phone book at skool in the middle of the day, YR 12.... only 4 months to go :spoton: )

IM in NSW by the way, i figure GIO are australia wide so it shouldn't matter.

CHEERS Chris. :rockon:

Edited by orangeLJ, 18 May 2006 - 09:19 AM.

#24 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

a bit hard to find a phone book at skool in the middle of the day, YR 12.... only 4 months to go :spoton: )

woah, now thats a long school day ... I thoguht 6.5 hours was bad when I was there!

hehe ... sorry

Cheers for the clarification! ... your probably going to be helping a lot of poeple if this pulls through :D

Cheers
-Al

#25 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

Queensland, South Australian and Tasmanian residents

Currently GIO does not provide insurance in Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania. In Queensland you can apply for insurance cover with Suncorp Metway Insurance Limited (Suncorp) (GIO's parent company). In South Australia you can apply for cover through RAA Insurance Limited (RAA) (a joint venture between RAA and Suncorp). In Tasmania you can apply for cover through RACT Insurance.

That rules me out.. Ill have a look into the RAA as it looks like they are sister companies or something like that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users