volvo dif

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _runna_202_

_runna_202_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

hey fellas

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with volvo diffs?
My questions are, is there anyway u can fit 13in wheels?,because apprantly
the rims wont fit over the brakes.This is on a lx torana by the way, and are you able to adapt the oringinal drums>??

cheers..peter

#2 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:39 AM

Ive done heaps of volvo diff conversions.
The diff you want is from a 164 or 165 volvo. Its the tallest ratio you can get at 3.3:1 ratio, or if you want a 4.1:1 go for the 144 or 145 volvo diff.
Im not sure why you would want to use the torry brakes as the volvo brakes are far superior. I doubt your 13in wheels will fit and Ive gotta be honest we've never tried to.
They have a 29 spline axle which is alot thicker and stronger than a 9in ford axle. I know of an FJ fitted with a 4.1 diff running a genuine 500hp engine at the drags, and has done for many years with no problems.
BTW, you wont find an LSD, they didnt make them.
Expect to pay around $150-$200 for a complete diff.
As I mentioned in another post Geelong Diff Services have the jigs to weld on the mounting brackets for the torana.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

You can get LSD's for some Volvo diffs, but they are few and far between. Expect to pay $800 if you manage to find one. Apparently the Volvos use Dana 30 diffs in some models.

#4 _runna_202_

_runna_202_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

i would imagine that the volvo brakes are a better setup,
but i want to keep the standard look and run the 13in wheels
i got the diff out of a mates lx which has a 308 and ran 11.7
and its just a welded centre with 4.11, so in theroy it should go straight in
but i was wondering if the standard brakes could be adapted to
use the 13in wheels?

cheers

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

The only time I modified Volvos was to modify them to fit in a car crusher. I haven't tried 13" rims on a Volvo, but until somebody tries it, nobody will know for sure. I understand the "original" look. Ever thought of 14" HK steel rims with HK - HG hubcaps? At least they would clear the brakes and you would wind up with a better choice of tyres to fit.

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

nope, won't happen, have tried it. 14's wo'nt fit eather. some 15's come close....

waht i'm doing is using the volvo center and axels, and running my torana axel tubes. i'm mounting comodore disks up to the torana flanges, they bolt strait up. not sure if 13's will fit over these but i know 14's will. i think 13's will.

can i steal the thread for a sec??? i have a 244 dif i'm using, 3.5 ratio. i'm going to get the turner at work to machine me up a spool, but i took the axels out and noticed there very thick, yes, but are machined down at the spline. so where they usualy break there weaker....now i will have to get them cut down anyway, so if i have to cut all the spline off should i leave it the same thickness all the way and get say 35 or 40 splines put aroudn it??? i need to decide on this before i get the spool made up. i suppose the next step is to make a heap of measurements and see if i can cut enough off.....

#7 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi Bomber.

If the carrier bearings have a large enough ID & the axles are thick enough, go the 35 spline.

Dr Terry.

#8 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:36 AM

13" rims wont fit over the Commodore disc brakes.

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

Hi Guys.

13" wheel won't fit over Commodore discs or Volvo discs.

240 series Volvos have 14" steel wheels standard. 140/160 Volvo use 15" steel wheels.

Dr Terry.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

ha. there you go. i have a diff out of a 244, it had 15's standard. 14's won't fit over the brakes...curious.

so dr, basicaly your saying if its possible then keep it thicker?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users