Spare Wheel Clamp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hi All,
I am about to put a spare wheel clamp in the boot of my Torrie, I have a 73 LJ XU1 with a Nibless spare Wheel, my decision is whether to use the spare wheel well, small clamp (spare wheel sits in the well) or use the long rod type where the wheel lays flat in the boot and fits in the groove of the Bathurst tank. I am not sure what is the original unit and they both do the job I imagine the latter is the original.

#2 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

The XU-1 has the spare wheel lying flat.
The original rods are hens teeth, but if anyone has one, let me know as I am after one.

Grant..

#3 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

better post some pics of that sweet little ride hey Sunburst !!!!!

#4 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

Hi

I bought one of these repros.

http://tinyurl.com/kg5m7

Bazza

#5 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:43 AM

I guess that makes the decision for me, 3 out of 3 say original (original repro) is the go, the link to XU1 Heaven is good I have dealt with Brad (from XU1 Heaven)over the years he is informative and genuine good guy. I do like that repo unit he is selling (a bit dear however) just saw the other style on EBay and was going to purchase. Will post Pic;s when I work out how to, the XU1 is Mustard not Sunburst as the call sign suggests, like to keep everyone guessing.

#6 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Given that the units are made in small batches as there is a very limited demand probably less than 500 units would ever sell,

The correct size and type of material was purchased,
The material cut, threaded and bent then plated,
Plus a nut and given workshop rates are as high as $60-80 / hr for small jobs, No auto machine manufacture here due to the limited number.
Plus miscellaneous costs running around.

Gee wiz he is really going to get rich on this venture.

Its a bl--dy bargin, it is readily available, he is a genuine guy who backs up his quality and service. What more could a customer want.

Another wayof looking at it might be:
Xu1's were worth $4Kish new in the 70's and now are 10 times that. If that part were worth $5 new times 10 = $50 I think the price is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users