Average cost of a complete spray painting job

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _Marshall_

_Marshall_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

What would be the average cost (ball park) of a complete spray painting job on a LX hatch (in Melbourne) ??
(not street machine quality but not a back yard job either)

Assuming it�s been sand blasted primed and panel beaten ie read to paint.

#2 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Somewhere between 5000-10000

Or maybe more.

Or maybe less.

This is one of those string-length questions.

#3 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Exactly what WOT179 said... Thesedays most panel beaters / spray painters are at best "Fitters Only" as in order a new gaurd, door etc. and fit it earning a couple of grand each day scamming insurance companies... There's a lotta work involved in prep & painting a complete car so up here in NSW the average price ranges from 14 -- 21+ G's with "expected turn around of 12 -- 18 months", Most won't touch old cars for that reason and when you do find 1 that will take the job on they ussually sit your car at rear of shop and do little bits here & there. If it's ready for paint as you said then maybe a little faster turn around but don't expect a cheap job as not in their best interests to do so.. Most are only interested in insurance work thesedays.... Don't be discouraged though as I'm sure you will find somebody to take it on... Hence a lotta "Back Yarders" get jobs like these as a lot of owners can't beleive the cost & or waiting period being quoted...

#4 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

If it is ready for paint as you have stated, my painter charged me $1000 to lay the paint on, and wet rub with 2000. It also included him givening the body a quick rub over first before applying the paint. Paint was about $1000 for 6 litres of 2 Pac PPG. That was a car delivered to him ready to paint with me supplying the paint. All done by a professional paint shop too.

#5 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

yeah that's the strange thing. on one hand you've got people charging 10000, and on the other hand some charge 1000, and although i don't doubt this, im still finding it hard myself to track down these cheap but professional tradesmen.

#6 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

i think it all comes down to who you know really, but like Whale said 99% of panel shops these days like the quick turn around doing insurance work. if i was just doing a Acylic job i would be fine to do it but this time round it all 2K and a shop down here that i have known the owner for years has quoted me 2g's max but, that with him doing the final block down just to make sure its all straight ( that way he knows its not going to turn out shit ) and i will supply all the paint, he hangs the dorrs after there painted on the inside as well as bonnet, boot lid. so pretty much i drop it to him with the hanging panels and i pick it up all coloured in with everything lined up.

some people do pay upwards of 20k + for a resto, its a wild trade these days

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Mate you may as well have asked how long a bit of string is.

Cheers.

#8 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

Mate you may as well have asked how long a bit of string is.

Cheers.

I asked That Question Many Threads Ago Mr. Watson Only 2 Find out How Long is a Chinaman... And He probably lives Here in Sydney as I'm Sure That was Him That Overtook me on Thu Footpath Yesterdy...... :P

#9 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

Cash is the best thing to use. A spraypainter probably earns $200-$300 per day. Find a painter who wants a cash job on the weekend for $1000 tax free. Panel shops don't work on weekends (all the ones ive seen) so the booth is empty. Or you could probably set up your own carport/shed for the painter to work in.

My two cents, anyway

But I'm gonna paint my own car with acrylic.

#10 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

Exactly what WOT179 said... Thesedays most panel beaters / spray painters are at best "Fitters Only" as in order a new gaurd, door etc. and fit it earning a couple of grand each day scamming insurance companies...

its a painter that can make or break a panelbeater's jobs,you need to find someone who has a paasion for working on old cars,so for that remark i will now double my price for respray's
as for insurance company's if you work in a smash repair's they are the one's ripping the panel shop's off now so alot of panel shop's do cut corners where they can so they can make a slight profit ,would you guy's trust nrma care and repair bullshit to repair your car at the cheapest qoute or would you prefer to pay alittle extra to know the job will get right thats why panel shop's do this

#11 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:53 PM

Exactly what WOT179 said... Thesedays most panel beaters / spray painters are at best "Fitters Only" as in order a new gaurd, door etc. and fit it earning a couple of grand each day scamming insurance companies...

its a painter that can make or break a panelbeater's jobs,you need to find someone who has a paasion for working on old cars,so for that remark i will now double my price for respray's
as for insurance company's if you work in a smash repair's they are the one's ripping the panel shop's off now so alot of panel shop's do cut corners where they can so they can make a slight profit ,would you guy's trust nrma care and repair bullshit to repair your car at the cheapest qoute or would you prefer to pay alittle extra to know the job will get right thats why panel shop's do this

spot on,mate.

#12 _pepperjack_

_pepperjack_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:44 AM

What would be the average cost (ball park) of a complete spray painting job on a LX hatch (in Melbourne) ??
(not street machine quality but not a back yard job either)

Assuming it�s been sand blasted primed and panel beaten ie read to paint.

If it is ready to paint and it's just the outside only (ie no inside door jambs etc) with all panels still
on the car, no sanding just mask, prepsol and shoot, with all materials supplied clear over base, I would
know a number people would do it for $1000 including myself, and less if it was a solid colour.

#13 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Having had many cars painted in the mid to late 90's I was totally horrified at thenprices I have been quoted to repainted my SLR today. Every panel shop I took it into either said they weren't interested or they would walk up to me ask me what I was after and without even looking at the car would say from 20k upwards. It was hard to take and even had a bit of a tiff with the last guy when I asked him to in a round about way to justify his costs and when he couldn't even come close to it went on to tell me he has to pay rent. My car is 99% rust free and 99% straight. So I'm thinking surely it can't be that pricey? Yeah ok i guess it is.The last car i had done was a VN Calais with a total colour change to 2k in Duriff red including supply and fit of a grp a kit @ 5 grand. That was 1998 though. So I guess we all just have to live with nutty inflation.

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

yeah that's the strange thing. on one hand you've got people charging 10000, and on the other hand some charge 1000...

And one persons idea of ready to paint is completely different to another's...

FYI
FAT FAT smash repairs @ Unit 5/182 Hume Hwy Lansvale are advertising in the local paper "Full respray $1400, 1 week job" must present coupon, valid to 4/6/11.

#15 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

yeah that's the strange thing. on one hand you've got people charging 10000, and on the other hand some charge 1000...

And one persons idea of ready to paint is completely different to another's...

FYI
FAT FAT smash repairs @ Unit 5/182 Hume Hwy Lansvale are advertising in the local paper "Full respray $1400, 1 week job" must present coupon, valid to 4/6/11.

Cheap as Chips Really.... Would be intersting to see the $1400 spray job, As You've Said Above "One Persons Idea of Ready 2 Paint" I would imagine it's same on both sides of the coin as in "One Persons Idea of a Decent Spray Job is Completely Different 2 Another's" Don't Get Me Wrong I'm Not Tossing Poo @ The Professionals Who Do Fantastic & Back Breaking Work Spray Painting Our Pride N Joy or Even Daily Driver... Just Merely offering my opinion on what most painters are asking 4 when approached to do Old Cars Like Ours... I enquired many months ago to a guy that was recommended to me by another forum member & A So Called Professional that had been in the trade for around 30 years, He was very reasonably priced -- But The Minute He said to me "I Really Can't Understand People Like Yourself Wasting Thousands of Dollars Rebuilding These OLD Cars" When That is Exactly what had put bread & butter on his table for the past 30 years... I Said To Him "THAT WAY 2 THU GATE M8" No it's not a 2000 model corolla, if it was then it would be thrown in the Sims Metal Bin......

#16 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

The guy painting mine does it in spare time, is a rep for ppg preps at home then paints in a booth, painter by trade and has painted many cars, Racenu and ucsmok are 2 you might recognise, I'm looking at 12 grand

#17 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

I got quoted $15,000 to paint my Lc candy red, or $8,000 in a normal metallic by panel shops.
But I'm lucky I know a fair few spray painters that are doing mine on the side in any colour I want for $2,000 labour and I supply the paint. That's a proper job by qualified painter in a booth at his work on a wk end.
So your best bet is to ask your mates if they have mates that are painters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users