tefa

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Name:Teflon
  • Car:LX 4 Door SL

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

Anyone know what oil to run in the steering rack, and how much??
Also, is there any difference with the rack "itself" between LX and UC?? I'm hoping to solid mount the rack.

#2 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

Only difference in the racks is solid and rubber mounting, they interchange, straight bolt up.

There are 2 different ratios, I think the solid mount UC rack was a slower ratio.

Gear oil about 200-250 ml from memory

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

Straight SAE140 gear oil if you can find it (0.33 pints), I've gotten away with 85W140 diff oil before

#4 tefa

tefa

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Beautiful thanks Fella's

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I purchased a small satchel (enough to do a rack) of "runny grease" or steering rack oil from a local suspension place that did rack rebuilds quiet some time ago for 3/8ths of frOck all....May as well get the right stuff.

Cheers.

#6 tefa

tefa

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

yep good call
Cheers

#7 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Bit of a thread dredge I know, but I found this thread useful and havinbg worked fom the same, have something to add.

I went looking for grease to use; Castrol EPl-0 (zero) or similar but found it hard to find and only avalable in large amounts (10kg). I found tubes of EPL-2 grease but after speaking with Castrol I learned it was not runny enough and EPL-0 was the only viable option there in terms of looking for a semi-liquid grease..

Whilst looking for the Castrol product I happened to find a Nulon grease (L80) and wrote to them asking about the same in regards to its suitability for my steering rack. Of interest I got this reponse;
When recommending lubricants it is best to follow the lubrication specifications that were set by the original equipment
manufacturer. Your information indicates that Holden specified the use of a mono-grade gear oil (SAE 140) to lubricate the
internals of their steering rack. Using an oil in a manual steering rack allows for “splash” lubrication, where the movement of the
vehicle while driving and cornering etc causes the oil to flow to all areas of the rack mechanism and bushings to provide
lubrication. Using a grease for lubrication does not create “splash” lubrication as the grease will not flow as an oil does. We
would not recommend the use of L80 Extreme Performance Grease to lubricate your steering rack.

Mono-grade SAE 140 gear oils are becoming difficult to source as multi-grade gear oils are now the industry norm. The original
SAE 140 oil most probably carried a GL1 rating as this was the industry standard at the time of manufacture, whereas the
industry norm is now GL4 or GL5. The use of a GL4 or GL5 rated oils in older vehicle design can cause issues with certain
metals such as brass in bushings etc.

Our recommendation would be to use a high viscosity engine oil which has similar viscosity as SAE 140 and similar anti-wear
and anti-corrosion properties as a GL1 gear oil. The recommended Nulon oil for your application would be 40-70 Extra Thick
Oil. This product is shown below and is available in 1 litre bottles.

Now the funny thing is, my Torana Club has a wonderful sponsor (Capital Steering and Suspension) who way back told me they used an engine oil to lubricate the steering rack. Now I poo-poo-ed this response given this and other threads recommending grease or SAE 140 oil but it turns out that such an approach is indeed corroborated by a renowned lubricant manufacturer (notwithstanding their recommending an engine oil from their own range to suit).

Just thought I'd share what I have been told as it may help some (like me) in deciding what is best to do. I'll leave it to the forum veterans and the more knowledgeable/trained/qualified to decide the merits of Nulon's advice.

Cheers, TB

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hmm actually I had never even thought about this... I had my steering rack reconditioned... would the reconditioner filled the rack with oil/grease?

Where do you fill it from/check the level?

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

If you rack was done by Wilkinsons then they will have used grease. All of the rack re-builders I have spoken to use grease.

The only way to check the level is to drain and refill. You can just take one boot off and pour the oil in.

#10 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Nah was done by a place in Maddington

#11 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

yep we use grease when we rebuild them

#12 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

You have mine there at the moment, bit of extra love would be appreciated :)

#13 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Yeah Ill put oil in mine.

#14 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Straight SAE140 gear oil if you can find it (0.33 pints), I've gotten away with 85W140 diff oil before

Stupid question time;
Is the 0.33 pint referred to here and in other threads the UK (Imperial pint = 188ml) or US (US pint = 156ml)?

Oh, and re: my post above re: Bulon 40-70 engine oil - couldn;t find it in 1 litre containers.
I have found Penrite Transoil T140 - it is for older cars like ours that require GL1 oil and after speaking with Penrite technical folk is very much suitable for steering racks - About $18 for a litre.
http://www.penriteoi...ic/transoil_140

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 02 February 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#15 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

The Gregorys manual specifies Castrol Hi-press B140 oil. Capacity approx 0.18 litres (0.33 imp pts).

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 02 February 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#16 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

That's great - thanks.
Cheers, TB

#17 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Might be a silly question but how do you fill the the rack?

#18 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Trentm, hold rack in a vertical possition, undo the upper big end boot from the rack and pour it in, keeping rack in vertical possition re attach boot, re-install rack. It is depicted in the original GMH service manuals, not sure if it's shown in the non GMH manuals though.

#19 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Trentm, hold rack in a vertical possition, undo the upper big end boot from the rack and pour it in, keeping rack in vertical possition re attach boot, re-install rack. It is depicted in the original GMH service manuals, not sure if it's shown in the non GMH manuals though.

Ok thanks.

#20 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I've been rebuilding racks as part of my business for nearly 38 years, I think we gave up using oil about 37 years ago.

All racks we overhaul receive high temperature (lithium-based) wheel bearing grease as they are assembled, it lasts much longer than oil.

Dr Terry

#21 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

You have mine there at the moment, bit of extra love would be appreciated

that must of been the one i finished up on friday?

#22 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Picked up friday lunch, so probably.
Its home now, another one coming in soon.

#23 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

So,the experts fill the rack with grease despite the manuals requirement of oil.
I hope the next time i get the front wheel bearings lubed I dont end up with oil in them because
someone knows better.(instead of grease).
If some expert steeering rebuilder told me that they pack a rack and pinion with grease I would tell them to get another job,
and some other shit that wont be mentioned here!
GMH manual specifies OIL,
If the blokes that designed the stuff specify oil then oil it is.
Otherwise they got it wrong.
FFS.

#24 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

If the blokes that designed the stuff specify oil then oil it is.
Otherwise they got it wrong.

No-one is necessarily wrong, correctly packing the rack with grease would be a more difficult and time consuming operation which would add to the cost of buying and servicing/repairing the car from new (all these small things add up), and lubricants have changed and improved over the years. Rear wheel bearings are lubricated with oil in a Torana...

#25 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

The bit im worried about is the "splash lubrication" as mentioned above... can you get new "greases" that are alot thinner and will allow for splash lube? ya would think that if it was full of grease and you turned one way it would push all the grease out of the way and then without being a liquid it wont just flow back into place? I would not think the rack would get hot enough to melt the grease?

Racks from the factory were filled with oil eh? and they have lasted about 30 years...

I wonder how long a recon one with grease will last?

Dont get me wrong im no expert at all and all of the above are questions...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users