Whats the std size of rear LC GTR Springs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:43 PM

Ive just striped down the rear suspension of my 4/71 LC GTR and found that the springs i have are a different size than whats quoted in the gmh workshop manual.

My springs measure 9" (228mm) freelength, coil gauge 15mm, coil diameter 135-140mm and has approx 5-6 coils.

The workshop manual says 82911 springs have a 7.39" (187mm) freelength, coil gauge .519" (13mm), coil diameter 5.265" (133mm) and 4.9 active coils.

The spring i just took out still has the original bush which is peened over to sandwich the insulator between the upper seat and retainer. The springs looked very old and the peening sort of typical for factory stuff. Also under the rubber insulator the spring colour was BLUE, the only blue springs ive ever seen were made by lovells.

My question is, are my springs factory gmh, maybe xu-1 or is it possible that they were changed along time ago.

Cheers, Kev

#2 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

According to the parts book, all LC GTR's (2600S and 2850S) and XU1's shared the same spring, which is the 7.39" free length one you described. The only other spring listed for these models is a 7.83" free length version, i'll see if i can find out when it was introduced. I'd say the blue springs are Lovells.
The LC GTR's and XU1's had the lowest ride height of all the LC/LJ models, and if you have ridden in a standard car over a rough road or a speed bump, you'll understand why many people would have changed the springs to increase the ride height, i remember hitting the roof of my brothers old LC on many occasions!!
The pic is a comparison of the ride heights between an LC and LJ GTR,
grant
LC vs LJ ride height

#3 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

Grant, i do have a spare set of springs which measure about 8" (relaxed position).

So i guess its possible that a suspension place may have gone to the trouble of repeening the 2 plates back together.

Ive seen plenty of lc/lj's without the top securing plate installed, so the spring were only attached to the lower control arm and left swinging at the top!!

Im going to fit the 8" ones in and see how it sits.

Hey, Is the torana closest on pic Monaco Maroon Metallic or Burnished Bronze Metallic? Just curious as my brother owned an LC GTR with the Monaco Maroon from new and i bought an LC GTR with Burnished Bronze paint in 1986ish but sold it to young guy from canberra about a year or so later, funny if they were either of our old cars. It would be nice to know some of there history.
Kev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users