• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

ello
i have a lx with a 308 in it.
it has just a standard 3.36 banjo but it has got a really bad wine once you got up to like the 80km mark its bad
i think i have to change the diff but i dont know what will hold up in the long run
i have been told a lot of different thing by mates but i dont what what the best
i have been told either a ford 9inch, salsbery or a stock vn 5.0 lsd but i dont know what will be the most valubale
if any one can give4 me a help thanks

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

Anything can be broken with enough abuse. 9" is the strongest. BW conversions can be cheaper, if you can find a place that will guarentee their cast iron welding. A lot of places will weld cast iron, but not guarentee their work. So if it breaks ( which it will if they don't know how to weld cast iron properly ), bad luck.

#3 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Drop the oil and put brand new diff oil. Save yeah cash and turn the stereo up.

Denis

#4 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

I got a standard banjo behind my weak to mildly saucy 308 (and still haven't changed to v8 universals/shaft yet! they're patiently waiting for the 6 ones to die) which has been going for the last 5 odd months.

It's whined like shit at 100kph for the last 5-6+ years and copped abuse behind the shitty 202.

It's still turning the wheels so.... Maybe my idea of abuse isn't much at all :)

I'd just turn the stereo up or listen to the musical melody of 8 ground thumping cylinders.

Edited by Loki, 18 May 2006 - 09:23 PM.

#5 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

will it pass a roady with a wine in the diff

#6 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:20 AM

As mentioned there are not alot of people who can weld cast iron properly, but Geelong Diff Services certainly can. They have the jig to convert a VB-VL diff to bolt straight into a LH/X. All you need to supply are the standard bang-go diff for the brackets, and a Crummydoor diff and pick it up the next day.
They are almost the correct width too, and be warned that the VN -> diffs are 50mm wider, unless you are lucky enough to find either a VN groupA or SV5000 diff which are 50mm narrower than a standard VN -> diff.
Other options?
1. UC torana salisbury diff if you can find one,
2. 9inch conversion if you can afford one,
3. Ive seen HQ/Z diffs shortened that also fit into the torry which is also a reasonably cheap conversion.
4. series 1 Volvo diff. Dont laugh, they are close to the correct width, tuff as nails, disc brakes and torana stud patern. Again Geelong diffs can do the mounts for you.

#7 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

hotrodder you mention using a uc diff which i have 4 of but when i have tried suggesting that same idea to rodtech here in sa they tell me that these diffs are no stronger then bangos, can you shed any light on the integrity of these internals?
cheers

#8 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

UC torana diffs are no better than a banjo, they run mostly banjo internals and have all the same weak points as a banjo, all in all there piss weak :D they are the same as 6 cyl commodore diffs VB to VK,

V8 VB to VL diffs are the large sailsbury and would be my recommendation for your application(after conversion :D ), the nine inch is also a good option particularly if you intend to up the horsepower later on.

#9 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

LH and LX differential mounts differently to UC.

Unless you have the A9X floor pan you can not put the UC diff housing into your LX. Which as said above is no stronger.

Maybe if you are cash strapped, get the existing centre overhauled if it wont pass the road worthy.

Save your bucks and stay tuned on this forum as you may get the opportunity to buy a second hand bigger diff from some one here.

Good luck

#10 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

that sounds like my best bet at the moment try fix the back lash see if that fixes it and just hold off till someone has a decent one for sale
thanks guys

#11 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

There is no physical strength difference in teh components inside the diff but there is a strength factor when you lok at the carrier/husing etc. the salsbury is stronger in teh mounting which does assist in teh over "strength" of teh diff but this does not neccesssarily state the diff is stronger. sure the salsbury will last a touch longer with abuse. realyl if you are looking to replace it then using a early salsbvury is not cost effective...

Cheers

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

that sounds like my best bet at the moment try fix the back lash see if that fixes it and just hold off till someone has a decent one for sale
thanks guys

I have a banjo 3.08:1 pinion, crownwheel and hemisphere you can have for free. It's not in a housing. I'm in Melbourne.

#13 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:36 AM

thanks guys

anothere thing to point out is that diff whine does not just come from backlash, due to the age of teh diffs now and the fact that no one seems to care there will be alot of wear in these setups. this is why the "banjo is weak as mate" not that the diffs are bad/weak. So you might find the backlash spot on and the issue lying in another part of the diff... bearings, tooth wear, pinion loading... etc etc

Cheers

#14 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

ive been told it got about 100thou back lash

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

That's enough for 20 banjo diffs.

#16 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

year i know thats y. i hope it will fix the wine

#17 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

okay i dont have any idea about diffs really could some one explain what "backlash" means

cheers torrietree

#18 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

just to clear it up a bit,vl diffs are borgwaners (same as a vn diff but 50mm narrower) vb-vk v8 diffs are large sailsburys which are 12mm each side shorter than a vl diff.

if you use a vl diff,get a turbo or v8 one as they are 4 pin 28 spline,vl 6cyl diffs are 2 pin 25 spline.

you can also interchange ratios between the borgwarner diffs.

vl v8 3.08
vl turbo 3.45
skyline auto 3.7
pintara manual 3.89
pintara auto 4.11

all crown wheel an pinions are the same strength. i bought a vl v8 diff for my vk and also bought a auto pintara diff to get the 4.11's.at $70 for the pitara diff its good value.

also a hint,vl v8 diffs are heaps cheaper than vl turbo ones and there the same thing besides from ratio.

also if you plan to mini spool it,get a centre that is not lsd :D

#19 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

I got the 3.89 pintara gears in my lc's borgwarner,3.7 gears are out of skyline for my brothers vs ute were about $50,just make sure you check them before you buy.

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

Even if I supply alternate BW diff gears, I've been quoted $400 to install them. Not a cheap option to get the ratio changed.

#21 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

less than 2 hours to do it yourself..... :D

#22 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

i dont have a clue what it is i hjave been told

#23 _jennay_

_jennay_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

how much wider is a vk diff then a standard torana diff?

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

There are two answers to that question.

LX rear track is 54" or 1371.6 MM. VK rear track is 1414 MM. Unless it had a BW diff, then the rear track is 1440 MM.

Actual diff width from BUF ( bolt up face ) to BUF is:

LX: 56.5" or 1435.1 MM
VK: 1500 MM or 1526 if a BW is fitted.

#25 _shane__31_

_shane__31_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:56 PM

hey guys i scored a diff off a mate its a 3.9 banjo centre
i think it will do for the roady then save my money till i put in a 3.08 lsd im thinking of a 5.0 vn wait for the money then it may happen or something along those lines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users