76 lx sl hatch or 2000 toyota hilux dual cab

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hey guys, this is my first thread i've made on this site so sorry if i'm doing anything incorrect or whatever

Basically i get to choose whether i wanna put money into my dads old 76 lx sl 3.3ltr torana to get it going again and on the road for my P's, or my grandads toyota hilux (2.7ltr dual cab)

Which would cost more to keep on the road, which would be more fuel efficient? i will be using one of these cars daily so don't think if i choose the torana it's just going to be a little side project.
I don't know too much about cars sorry but bear with me :)

Thanks in advance

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Which would cost more to keep on the road, which would be more fuel efficient?

Simply, this doesn't come into the equation.
What will be worth more in 5 years?
Game over TILT
And WELCOME! :welcome:

Edited by rodomo, 12 June 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#3 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

i would keep the hilux for the daily driver and turn the Torry into a project but thats me. The Hilux should be better on fuel. You will probably find that 'putting money' into a Torana to get it on the road could quickly turn into 'pouring heaps of money' into the Torry to get it where you want.

#4 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

thanks for the feedback guys :)

I just kind of think if i put money into the hilux i'd feel like a bit of a bogan whereas if i fix up the torana my aim would be to keep it's originality and 'tough' look

I think it's safe if i just use hilux for now, atm it doesn't need anything done to it, whereas the torana needs a new battery + brakes just for a start. Thanks for the help guys :)

#5 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

battery =$100
brakes may just be a bleed or something more sinister
in the lux all will be good til something goes wrong
toyota parts are exxxxccy
and the lux will go down in value
a torrie will keep/rise in value
you know in your heart the right choice :)

#6 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

my opinion, hilux daily and torana project.

if you get the torana real nice you wouldnt wanna have to drive it daily and worry about something happening. besides hilux is nice and slow, keep you out of trouble and make it easier to cart around parts for the torana your building!

#7 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:03 AM

battery =$100
brakes may just be a bleed or something more sinister
in the lux all will be good til something goes wrong
toyota parts are exxxxccy
and the lux will go down in value
a torrie will keep/rise in value
you know in your heart the right choice :)

But are the 6cylinder lx's thirsty for fuel like the v8 versions? the hilux has a few dents in it so i think that's about 400-600 dollars just to get them out

#8 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

Here are some photo's of the torana, as you can see, there's a lot of room for improvement.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v344/25/95/1299121671/n1299121671_30149277_5799.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v344/25/95/1299121671/n1299121671_30149278_5995.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v344/25/95/1299121671/n1299121671_30149279_6199.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v344/25/95/1299121671/n1299121671_30149280_6397.jpg

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:35 AM

A few dents are expensive, double your guestimate and then double it again and you will be close if you cant do it yourself.

6 cyl torry's arnt overly thirsty if you have them tuned correctly, which means NOT taking it to your local mechanic, who will know nothing about the car.

The lux will still be slighty better on fuel though.

But as said the Torry will go up in value, the Lux will go down, so as said just say you keep either car for five years then sell, even if the Torry costs you more to run/maintain/rego in that time you will still sell it ant at least break even, whereas the lux you will run/maintain/rego and loose money, big time.

The cheaper to run car isnt necessarily the best long term investment.

Food for thought.

Cheers.

#10 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

Its hard for me not to like the look of the Torry. Looks like a great starter project . I would definetely drive the lux and spend a few years getting the Torry back to scratch. :buttrock: Good score mate.

Edited by robslxhatch, 13 June 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#11 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

i had my old 2.4P 2x4 Lux for just over 6 yrs and the thing just wouldnt die, it payed it self off 1000 times over and then sold it for what i bought it for so to me thats a win, win. while the Torana is in the shed being transformed and pouring a shit load of coin in to it. IMO i would get the ute and just drive it while building a nice neat and tidy Torana to cruise around in :buttrock: " just my 2 cents "

#12 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

6 cyl torry's arnt overly thirsty if you have them tuned correctly, which means NOT taking it to your local mechanic, who will know nothing about the car.

I think the only thing my dad can show me is how to change the oil and mix the fuel, and take them bull bars off. Also, the hilux has about 45,000 kms on it, whereas the torana has almost 200,000ks

#13 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

can you have both or not?

#14 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

can you have both or not?

Yeah, the torana has just been sitting there for years and my brother gets off his P's this year, after that the hilux gets passed down to me. I think i might just leave the hilux as it is and slowly put money into the torana as a side project

#15 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Yeah just leave the Hilux as is, and have the torana as a project. Its not costing you anything while it is not registered.

As for dints and shit in the Hilux, just don't worry about it, as long as its mechanically up to scratch thats all that matters

#16 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Yeah just leave the Hilux as is, and have the torana as a project. Its not costing you anything while it is not registered.

As for dints and shit in the Hilux, just don't worry about it, as long as its mechanically up to scratch thats all that matters

But this is the downfall, i can't do much with cars and all my dad can do is the simple things like mix fuel and change the oil. I'm almost certain finding someone that knows a decent amount about toranas and isn't going to charge a fortune for labour will be a hard find.

#17 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

How old are you oliver?

I assume you are still in school. Do you have any mates etc into cars etc.

What about relo's?

I bet one of your relo's tinkered with cars in his early days. I cant talk as I know very little about carby motors, but from what I know they are pretty simple to work on and faults are easier to diagnose compared to later EFI(fuel injected) motors.

If your mechanically minded most stuff is easy.

Buy your self a service manual;

i.e
http://www.ebay.com....=item415ab7e4c0

Someone also provided a scanned parts manual, which has basically everything.

http://www.members.w...gskev/parts.pdf

If you can't work something out just do a search on here, or put a topic up.

Ryan

Edited by youngy_11, 13 June 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#18 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

tafe coures....and ask questions
if your really keen join a car club
they have heaps of people that are into cars and some will actually help if you "ask" nicely
and offer to put on beers and a bbq after

#19 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

yeah like Quagmire said ask question and dont be scared to get your hands dirty and you will suprised just how quick you will learn a thing or 2. there are members here that are just taking on there very 1st panel & paint jobs, building motors etc and pretty much all lernt from this site and others.

#20 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

How old are you oliver?

I assume you are still in school. Do you have any mates etc into cars etc.

What about relo's?

Hello Ryan,

Both of my grandads have passed away so there's not much help with relatives, I was going to do Tafe this year but then i found out the kids doin it were just upthemselves dickheads, not saying everyone that does it are, it was just these guys.

Also, dads kept the service manual, not too sure about the parts manual but i'll look into it. I'm always willing to learn more about car engines and how they work.

Btw, i'm 15. Thanks for the feedback :)

Edited by olli576, 13 June 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#21 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

The parts manual basically has an exploded view of the torana and all parts and is super helpful if you can't workout how to remove something or re fit.

What were your studying at tafe?
Maybe you might like another course etc. Mechanic, Panel beater, spray painter, auto electrician Apprenticeship etc.

What does your old man want you to do with the tori?

Its all a bit daunting lol.

#22 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

The parts manual basically has an exploded view of the torana and all parts and is super helpful if you can't workout how to remove something or re fit.

What were your studying at tafe?
Maybe you might like another course etc. Mechanic, Panel beater, spray painter, auto electrician Apprenticeship etc.

What does your old man want you to do with the tori?

Its all a bit daunting lol.

haha nah i didn't even know i could do tafe this year, then people that were coming back from it thought they knew everything. So i wasn't too keen on it after that. My old man is taking his time, he wants to get the new battery and every couple of weeks go down and start her up and see how it goes from there, if she keeps running well, then i can spend a bit of money on the fun stuff. This is my money i'll be spending btw, i'm selling my motorbike for it.

#23 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Yeah fair enough. Its good your old man wants to get involved.

Just give it a good clean up and try and get it running etc. You will learn a lot that way.

#24 _olli576_

_olli576_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Yeah fair enough. Its good your old man wants to get involved.

Just give it a good clean up and try and get it running etc. You will learn a lot that way.

Oo now's a good time to ask this then, are the old torana engines okay to just pressure wash down? or will that mess with the electricals?

i'll most likely wash the rest of the outside of the car with truck wash, in the shade of course :P

BTW: grats on 1000posts haha

Edited by olli576, 13 June 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#25 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

i had my old 2.4P 2x4 Lux for just over 6 yrs and the thing just wouldnt die, it payed it self off 1000 times over and then sold it for what i bought it for so to me thats a win, win. while the Torana is in the shed being transformed and pouring a shit load of coin in to it. IMO i would get the ute and just drive it while building a nice neat and tidy Torana to cruise around in :buttrock: " just my 2 cents "

exactly as ^^^^he says..an what ever you do DONT EVER sell that torry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users