Standard Stromber Carby help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hi,
I cleaned the carby on my red 173 engine on a UC. Now, it doesn't idle properly. It's very rough and is liable to stall. The car is dual fuel and I run mainly on gas. I'm thinking in my ignorant way that I may have screwed up somehow an idle needle? Is that right? What could I look at? I had bought a kit but almost nothing matched so I presume it was the wrong kit.

Any ideas?

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

Sounds like you got the early strommy kit not the later one. Your carby is teh later strommy so is slightly different. when you rebuilt it what exactly was teh proceedure, you might find that there is a piece of dirt somewhere but it might be a needle and seat issue too. Does it run apart from idle?

Cheers

#3 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

It runs really well, except idling in gear or low speed. Idling in Park or Neutral is fine.

#4 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

What is the idle speed set at in park? it sounds as if the carby is ok.

Cheers

#5 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

hmm...it was about 900RPM, but I'd have to check that. It dies even with the choke out all the way on Gas, it only increases the Revs as far as I'm aware on Gas.

#6 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

hmm...it was about 900RPM, but I'd have to check that. It dies even with the choke out all the way on Gas, it only increases the Revs as far as I'm aware on Gas.

Cannot remember how your gas setup is done or how you choke is done, if it acts on a secondary TB and not as a butterfly choke then yes all it wqill do is increase the throttle position. Is it better when warm or worse?

Cheers

#7 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

It runs better when warm, but still wants to die with low speed. Of course, if you end up doing the black 202 for me, all this is moot.

#8 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

First thing is to tighten your manifold bolts, as they come loose and cause air leaks.
Lift the top off the carby and if its the early strommy the brass idle jet unscrews- its in the middle. If it is the later carb the alloy idle jet just drops in.
Take the idle jet out and clear the passages with compressed air.
If this dosent fix the problem then maybe the gasket below the carby body is sucking air.

Cheers Louie

#9 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

Ok, found some of the carby screws on top were loose, found a spark plug lead that was questionable and replaced it, regapped all the spark plugs. Runs better. Re-did the idle spped in Park at around 850 RPM. Runs well on petrol, dies on gas. Is there a way to 'richen' up the gas mixture?

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

Is there a way to 'richen' up the gas mixture?

I suspect it will depend solely on your LPG Mixer... provided you use one.

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:00 PM

Idle mixture is probably a screw adjustment on the converter. That's how mine was on the LX.

#12 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

Basically gas systems can be grouped in two types:
1) Complex converter/ Simple mixer
2) Simple converter/Complex mixer

Basically either the converter or the mixer is the controlling piece....Chopper it sounds like you have a complex converter...mine is a simple one..all my adjustments are done on the mixer.

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

I had a spud placed in the carby. The other adjustment was in the line between the converter and carby.

#14 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:38 AM

Most Impco are "basic" at both ends though the mixture is controlled by both.

#15 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

OK, I turned what I thought was the mixture setting on the Gas, it was a large knobby thing underneath the air filter, the gas pip goes into the aire filter, it replaces the 'traditional' aire filter housing. I thought things were running well. I took the car down the freeway, into the carpark of the local shops.
When I went to the school in it it kept stalling on me. I'm at a total loss now. It ran well when the engine was warm after going down the freeway, it sat for about 3/4 hour then I picked up my daughter. That's the only difference.

What else do I need to look at?

#16 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:48 AM

I know this sounds like a simple concept but it runs fine on fuel thus cannot be carby engine etc related as a vaccuum leak would appear in both. this has to be gas side of things. The solenoid is not locking teh gas off because it thinks teh car is not one or something? most solid state gas conrtollers do have a "block" with a led in it which will light at first intial key on then go off. This will remain light if it sees a spark from your coil. If nto it will shut it down thus run the car out of gas in teh line.

Cheers

#17 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

Do I just start the engine on Gas and whatch this light? It does have this block. Will cleaning the contacts help? It has those 'push-on' type connectors that are crimped on, so I presume dirt and water can work their way in.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

Swampy if you screw it in, it will lean the mixture. If they are lean, they run like crap. If they are rich, they do run. Just try turning it out a bit and see how you go. 1/8 of a turn can make a big difference in how it runs. Be carefull.

#19 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

OK, done a driving test today. It is not happy on Gas when cold. When warm, it is not bad at lower speeds, at higher speeds it runs really well. On petrol, everything is fine. I haven't tested starting on Petrol when cold, I will do that in the morning.

Also, it tends to 'miss' at times. My question at this stage, since I'm only fiddling, do I take it in to a local Holden dealership to be looked at, tuned up and serviced? Would that help? It doesn't feel like the Gas is stopping for any reason.

#20 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

Almost sounds lean on gas. When cold you require more fuel, so a little more gas might help... Enrichen it and do same tests..

Cheers

PS: Make sure the airfilter is sealling correctly. and extra gas after the mixture will make it lean out too...

#21 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

The only thing I can find for enriching the mix is a large bolt nderneath the air filter where the gas hose joins the air filter. Would that be it?

#22 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

The only thing I can find for enriching the mix is a large bolt nderneath the air filter where the gas hose joins the air filter. Would that be it?

Give the man a quepee doll... :D

Cheers

#23 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Cool. Thanks.

#24 _Swampy_

_Swampy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

I've done the 'enriching'. I also found an idle screw at the same spot. Screwed it out a bit and, at this stah\ge, it all seems to be fine. I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users