The Brock racing days

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 _HAFF_

_HAFF_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Iv been watching some old bathurst footage lately as i find it more engaging than the current day v8 supercars. As i didnt come around till a little over a decade after the A9X's ripped around the track i have little knowledge of how it was back then. What i wanted to know was about the rules, and regulations of racing back then, what did brocky run in his A9X? was it a realy beefed up 5L? or was it more close to stock? what was the restrictions on what they could do to the cars? were the Diff and gearbox's the same as you would get in your torana at the dealership?

#2 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

yeah i like some of that old footage as well,i never had anything to do with the cars myself
but a good freind did have.He was involvded with helping set up an A9x back in the 80s
and from memory the gbox/diff were stock and the drivers had to be carefull with
them,some one correct me if i am wrong.I do remember reading in an old street machine
mag.and vaugley remember seeing an article where they had 2 downdraft webers on some.
not sure about internals but i think early in the peace they had to run the stock single
row timming chain.Hope thats a start,there will be someone here that will know heaps
more about it.

Edited by NOBALLSUC, 30 June 2011 - 06:21 AM.

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

You could write a whole book on this topic, but I'll try & summarise how it was back then.

Up until 1972 there were 2 categories for 'touring cars'.

At Bathurst & a few other tracks (beginning in 1960 at Philip Island) they held races for 'Series Production Cars'

These cars were absolutely stock except for a few safety items (seat harness, fire extinguisher, roll cage (not all), removal of hubcap, addition of bonnet hold-downs etc.), you get the idea.

Cortinas, XR/XT/XW/XY Fords, HK/HT Monaros, GTR XU-1s all raced in this category.

For the ATCC (Aust Touring Car Championship) also beginning in 1960, but at Gnoo Blas in Orange, they used 'Improved Touring Cars'.

The rules here allowed freedoms to engines, suspension etc. This class was ruled by Jags, then Mustangs, Camaros, & Beechey's Monaro.

As a result of the 'Supercar scare' (Google it) Series Prod cars became Group C with almost as many freedoms as the old 'Improved' category. So in the 1973 Bathurst the Fords & Toranas etc. got bigger wheels & had freedom of suspension, carburettors & camshaft etc. etc. But they still had to be based on a factory built car with a minimum build number. This is why cars like the L34 & RPO83 were produced, these were the basis for early Group C cars.

At this time Mustangs & Camaros etc, were allowed more modifications & became Sports Sedans, with the ATCC now held for the Bathurst type cars.

In the 1973 Bathurst many cars raced were basically 1972 cars with Group C mods. By 1974/75/76 the newer L34 & Ford XA/XB ruled the roost.

When the dreaded ADR27A anti-pollution laws hit the industry in 1976, CAMS allowed both Ford & Holden to run the 1974/75 type motors (L34 & Ford 351 4V) to be used in the later cars (A9X & Ford XC). The factory A9X & XC just came with plain Jane motors, with full ADR27A gear, but at the track they could fit the 'pre-pollution' Bathurst type motor. This ceased for 1980, but by then more & more freedoms were given to the Group C cars, with the last version being the 'Last of the Big Bangers' Brock VK in 1984.

The A9Xs raced with modified hi-po L34 engines & BW Super T10 gearboxes neither of which was ever factory fitted, however the T-10 was listed as a dealer option to satisfy the rules.

In 1985, Group A was introduced which allowed more freedoms in some ares than Group C, but was more restrictive in the engine area. This is where the single row timing chain was an issue. You had to race what the factory fitted in that area. Group A was an international formula, so this allowed Jags, Sierras & finally the Godzilla GTR Skyline to race. Many punters liked this mix many more did not & voted with their feet. By 1989/91 touring car racing had reached a low in spectator numbers, so for 1993 they introduced the new V8 class. This was more popular & by 1997 the category became V8 Supercars with a huge marketing push by IMG Sport. The rest is history.

Dr Terry

#4 _HAFF_

_HAFF_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Cheer's Dr terry they didnt teach me the interesting history back in school, made for some good reading. Dont want to upset any one but personaly i find myself watching the musclecar master style races and turning the supercars off...guess its just not my cup of tea. Knowing that i can never own a car close to what's going round the track it kind of off putting, but hey torries look tougher any way =p

#5 _rallystripes_

_rallystripes_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

Cheer's Dr terry they didnt teach me the interesting history back in school, made for some good reading. Dont want to upset any one but personaly i find myself watching the musclecar master style races and turning the supercars off...guess its just not my cup of tea. Knowing that i can never own a car close to what's going round the track it kind of off putting, but hey torries look tougher any way =p

Ive been watching the old footage since 92,when i bought the set on vhs.Every now and then i like to put it on.I reckon ive watched that 73 race a hundred times and still feel bad for HDT for not getting the win lol.To be honest,i havent watched a full race of the supercars but i can watch the old races for hours.

#6 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

Good rundown Dr Terry.
I'll just add that in 1985 Brock was working on the VK Group A (Blue meanie) this car had a stronger engine with more power, double row timing chain etc, unfortunately it wasn't ready in time or they didn't sell enough, can't remember exactly. So many Commodores ended the race with broken timing chains including Brock who was in 3rd place and charging hard with only a few laps to go. By 1986 the VK Group A was a well developed car and Gricey won with the 2 HDT cars in 2nd and 5th from memory.

#7 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

Good rundown Dr Terry.
I'll just add that in 1985 Brock was working on the VK Group A (Blue meanie) this car had a stronger engine with more power, double row timing chain etc, unfortunately it wasn't ready in time or they didn't sell enough, can't remember exactly. So many Commodores ended the race with broken timing chains including Brock who was in 3rd place and charging hard with only a few laps to go. By 1986 the VK Group A was a well developed car and Gricey won with the 2 HDT cars in 2nd and 5th from memory.

Yes, the 1985 Commodore was very underdeveloped, the 1985 version didn't get the Blue Meanie's (A9L) upgrades, so raced based on VK 304 Group 3 spec. The 1986 Bathurst car got the A9L upgrades.

However this happened regularly to Bathurst Holdens. The first year wasn't so good, but they came back in the following years in much more reliable form.

Go back thru history & look at:-

1. 1970 LC GTR-XU1
2. 1974 LH L34
3. 1977 LX A9X
4. 1980 VC Commodore
5. 1985 VK Commodore (mentioned above)
6. 1989 SS Group A Commodore (Walky)

All the above were embarrassing losses in cars that could've/should've won, but the following year(s) were more successful.

Dr Terry

#8 _nicko61_

_nicko61_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

there is a hell of a lot of people who dont watch the big race anymore due to the boredom factor of being hard to distinguish whats winning as they are all so similar in appearance.
All my mates talk about these days is when will it ever return to factory cars with just racing wheels and exhaust

#9 _rbu07_

_rbu07_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hi guys

Great discussion, on the past years of racing and agree todays racing is no where near as exciting as the years gone bye.

In 1985 Brock was in the process of developing the VK Group A road car for homologation unfortunately supplier problems with key components slowed the build of the cars which had to be completed by July 1985 to allow for homologation. Brock made a submission to CAMS to allow for the componenets to be used on the basis that a number of cars had been built and he could show intenet to build the remaining cars as the final nubers of cars needed cars were painted and at that time were either under construction or sitting waiting to be upgraded. CAMS said no but would allow the 304 engine to race wiith some components big valve head (no double row timing chain or roller rockers) with a five speed gearbox, allowing the car to race at a lower weight being 4.9 litres. During the touring car series the car ran as a 308 (5 litre) and Dr Terry is right it ran without any trick engine pieces basically a VK Group 3 with a four speed gearbox. For Bathurst a double row timing chain was allowed for the 5 litre only, who knows why CAMS must have been feeling generous allowing the heavier car have the timing chain.

At the Sandown Enduro that year the Commodores had trouble breaking timing chains and had problems with the standard valve gear with the pushrods wearing through the rocker arms. GMH produced a new rocker arm with a difference in the manufacturing process addressing some of the issues. Neil Burns for HDT used to go through his own process to bed in the components and inspected each rocker arm after each practice session at Bathurst to monitor for any signs of wear. The same set of rocker arms were used throughout practice and monitored to see how the new arms would stand up over 1000 kms.

Dr Terry I agree in the majortity of cases the first year of a new car in competition has been met with little success as you noted the L34 and A9X struggled in the first year but dominated in the two years following there introduction. However I dont know why you listed the VC as it won everything in 1980 Touring Car Chanmpionship, Sandown, Bathurst, and the Endurance Series.

Great discussion guys.

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Dr Terry I agree in the majortity of cases the first year of a new car in competition has been met with little success as you noted the L34 and A9X struggled in the first year but dominated in the two years following there introduction. However I dont know why you listed the VC as it won everything in 1980 Touring Car Chanmpionship, Sandown, Bathurst, and the Endurance Series.

Great discussion guys.

Sorry, typo. I meant 1981 VC. In 1980 he had the goods on the opposition, what there was of it anyway.

1981 is when CAMS wouldn't let him run the VC Brock goodies, he had to run small valve heads etc. or run the full weight SL/E with a/cond & electric windows etc if he wanted to run the big valve heads. That year the XD had all sorts of 'funny' bits.

Dr Terry

#11 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

The race in '85 is one of my earliest memories of Bathurst.

I was about 8 years old and remember cheering Brocky on cause he was on a charge, and then his timing chain broke...doh.

#12 _rbu07_

_rbu07_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Yes Dr Terry you are correct Brock during this period had ongoing issues with CAMS trying to get his specials homologated, at the time the cars ran with full trim in place and the officials at the time would only allow the big valve heads if the car met the weight of an SLE which the VC HDT Brock special was based on not the weight of a base model commodore. This was despite the fact that CAMS had homologated the Falcon on the weight of the base model taxi version (which ran a 3.3 litre 6cylinder motor not even the 4.1, or 4.9 or 5.8 v8's) many at the time believed CAMS were trying to attract Ford back to the category. The homologation of the Falcon was undertaken by Murray Carter and Gary Willmington as Ford at the time had little interest. Dick Johnson was aware of the weight saving and other generous allowances given to the Falcon and jumped at the prospect the rest is history.

Bathursy 1981 was a disaster for HDT with the lead car suffering an axle failure following the use of a new supplier of axles to the team.

At one meeting the Commodores were only allowed to compete even though there weight was right when they had bolted onto the passenger floor the airconditioning unit normally fited in the cabin of the car, the next round the items had to be in there correct place. Even in early 1982 Brock was still having issues with CAMS at one meeting he was excluded as the scrutineers believed in had fitted an illegally modified inlet manifold. The truth was Holden often grit blasted poor castings to retrieve production items rather than scrapping them, mind you the manifold probably had recieved very detailed attention when it was blasted. Brock was excluded from the results and banned for three months, Brock took the matter to the Supreme Court on the basis he did not believe he had received a fair hearing our received sufficient time to prepare his defence. Brock continued to run under an appeal through a court injunction.

CAMS and Brock reached an out of court settlement where Brock's exclusion stood from rounds of the touring car series but for the endurance series a new racing fversion of the Commodore was approved. This car came witha range of upgrades to suspension, brakes and also the big valve heads. Further the cars weight was based on a Police Special version which was lower than the SS which the Brock VH group 1, 2 or 3 were based on. Brock and Grice dominated Bathurst in 1982.

#13 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

My first visit to Bathurst was in 1987, the World Touring Car race, it was a fantastic race, despite the politics. I went back the following year and all the top Walkinshaw model Commodores broke down, from memory 2 Corollas finished in the top 10. Not a great race at all.

#14 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

What year did Brocky get a broken windscreen and then they made him pop out the back one too?

That must have been 85 or 86??

I remember that pretty vividly too.

#15 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

What year did Brocky get a broken windscreen and then they made him pop out the back one too?

#16 _rbu07_

_rbu07_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Yes it was 1985, the front screen was broken and removed then Brock came back in when officials complained the team had not removed the back window as well on the grounds of safety. Brock looked great driving the car with a full face helmet on chasing the Jaguars anhd BMWs. Unfortunately the timing chain broke and it all came to naught

#17 _HAFF_

_HAFF_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Haha thats awsome, im going to try find a clip of this on youtube.

#18 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

I remember that 85 race well. The team removed the front windscreen as Brock could barely see coming down pit straight into the sun, he then put on John Harveys full face helmet. They were then asked to remove the rear screen. Brock raced back in, Marty Watt kicked the window out swinging off the bars and Brock then chased down 2nd and passed but he pushed the engine just that little bit too far pulling out of the slipstream of second and the timing chain packed it in.

As for the original question, the cars were much closer to what you could buy off the showroom, but still very modified.
The common story people get is the A9X race car ran the L34 engine, not technically true. When the A9X was released it was an evolution from the L34 (talking road cars here)and all the bits that were in the L34 were already homoligated for racing, so all the A9X really needed was a few extra bits to fix the issues they had with the L34, namely brakes, gearbox and diff. There were other improvements over the engine used in the L34 for race cars too, new crank, no engine driven fan and the bonnet scoop to allow the downdraft Webers to be used.
But what could you change from a road car? Well obvious stuff like bolt in a cage, engine improvements (the L34 in race trim put out 350Hp on a good day, by the end of the A9X they were pumping out just under 400Hp). Brake diameter couldnt be changed but you could use thicker discs and race calipers. Trim had to be in the car, the T10 gearbox was used over the flimsy M21 in the road car (T10 was a dealer option on the road A9X). The diffs were not that much different from a road car, but by 1979 HDT were now using full floating hubs. Tanks were a 140l drop tank, but you only really needed that for enduros and by Sandown 79 they had to have a dry brake system fitted. Springs, shocks wheels, sway bars etc were all free, but you were not allowed to cut anything to make stuff fit, this was already done on the road cars so race cars could fit the big rubber. Like DR Terry said though you could write a book on it.

#19 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Interesting, 350 hp on a good day? My H.O. l34 in street trim easily belts out 380hp, must have had alot of head winds back in those days!

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, and I'm sure your L34 HO is not as it came off the factory floor nor would it comply with the CAMS regulations of the day.

#21 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

True to a certain point, but being careful about disclosing too much info on this site, this is an ex race, with cams log books, with its side exhaust, this vehicle is how was left when it retired from its hay day,its been on various dynos with very similar results.
Not trying to make a big deal, just curious thats all, you guys have been around these vehicles probably more than me,.

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

If it's as retired it may well have been raced either during the A9X years, or maybe in other classes beyond that. What I was saying was the L34 in race trim in the days they were raced from 74-77 peaked at around 350Hp. Now, there would have been teams that continued to race L34 while everyone else moved onto A9X, and then some people raced these cars in various classes years later. The engines would have continued to be developed from what they were at the peak of L34 development. 420Hp out of a 308 under Group C regulations was about the limit they were ever developed to though in the "last of the Big Bangers".

#23 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

Yep ,you know your history fella, so true, this one didn,t get converted to a9x specs, as some were, im led to believe, but it has done some track work at a later stage
but yeah she is one of the surviving big bangers!( not bad for a barn find many years ago!) way back when nobody really wanted these cars, how times have changed!
any way nice to chat to you, i will crawl back in my cave now,cheers.

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:42 AM

I religiously got up early, watched and recorded Bathurst (once I had a vcr) every single year without fail since about 1974. Yet I stopped watching Bathurst and the Touring car championship after the very first year of the new V8 Supercar rules. Its just plain boring and these look-a-bit-like shells have no relevance to the dunnydores or foolcons the public can buy.

Race on Sunday Buy on Monday was the catch-cry.

Try doing that with a V8 Supercar at your local dunndore or foolcon dealer.

Sure the A9X was modified for racing, but it was still pretty easy to modify an A9X straight from the showroom to be a replica race car for the street (minus the cop bait rollcage). The hardest part for us old blokes was getting HP reliably out of the 308 because in the late 70's early 80's almost nothing was available off the shelf. Explains why it was easier and far more reliable (more than 400HP) to do a simple 350 Chev transplant (although the M21 hated it). We did this a lot as we didn't know the A9X or L34 would become classic collectables as they where just a car to us teenagers. The 70's for me was the best era for holden vs ford racing and I miss it.

Remember Brock only kept one race car (till he had money issues) and it certainly wasn't any of his dunnydores.

#25 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Did Brock Qualify 2 seconds a lap faster than anyone else at Bathurst?

If you cant get within 2 tenths of someone how are you going to race them in 10 laps they will have a 2 second lead!

We have production car racing they even do an enduro at Bathurst the racing is not that good which is probably why the gun drivers only run the biggest event at bathurst.
This event for production cars died a few years ago because nobody wanted to watch nobodies driving around.

The V8 supercars have closer racing at times less than 1 second separates the entire field.
I like the V8 supercars i think they have it just about right there has been no whingeing over parity for some years.

If you are not within 2 tenths of your competitor you watch him disappear into the distance is that racing or just driving around?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users