The Brock racing days

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

I religiously got up early, watched and recorded Bathurst (once I had a vcr) every single year without fail since about 1974. Yet I stopped watching Bathurst and the Touring car championship after the very first year of the new V8 Supercar rules. Its just plain boring and these look-a-bit-like shells have no relevance to the dunnydores or foolcons the public can buy.

Race on Sunday Buy on Monday was the catch-cry.

Try doing that with a V8 Supercar at your local dunndore or foolcon dealer.

Sure the A9X was modified for racing, but it was still pretty easy to modify an A9X straight from the showroom to be a replica race car for the street (minus the cop bait rollcage). The hardest part for us old blokes was getting HP reliably out of the 308 because in the late 70's early 80's almost nothing was available off the shelf. Explains why it was easier and far more reliable (more than 400HP) to do a simple 350 Chev transplant (although the M21 hated it). We did this a lot as we didn't know the A9X or L34 would become classic collectables as they where just a car to us teenagers. The 70's for me was the best era for holden vs ford racing and I miss it.

Remember Brock only kept one race car (till he had money issues) and it certainly wasn't any of his dunnydores.

want to make someone happy .what will it take to get copies of those tapes.
and i agree with you %100 you are right on the money with everything you have said.

#27 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

It sure would be nice if someone could put the VHS footage on DVD,it can be done without without
the great expence of paying someone per copy,time consumming,One thing i have been wondering is how true is it that
the manufactures had to sell a certain amount of cars before they could race.

#28 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

It sure would be nice if someone could put the VHS footage on DVD,it can be done without without
the great expence of paying someone per copy,time consumming,One thing i have been wondering is how true is it that
the manufactures had to sell a certain amount of cars before they could race.

100% true.

They had to sell a certain number with the parts they wanted to use for the car to be deemed a production car.

The numbers of cars and other rules changed from year to year, but if they didn't sell enough, they couldn't race those parts.

See the reference to Brocks Blue Meanie on the first page of this thread.

#29 _rbu07_

_rbu07_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi Guys

For your information you can get VHS Copies that have been converted to disc from a guy in Sydney.

Have bought a number of discs off him and they are great, keeping in mind they are VHS that has been copied and allowing foir age. Thaey are very watchable.

He has the about 4.5 hours of the 76 Hardie Ferodo 1000 race and about 8 hours (4 Discs) for 78 and the same for 79, he has right thru to 2009, plus the Sandown enduros 1981 onwards and the 1983 and 1984 Touring Car Series on disc
His Email is [email protected]

He has a website http://www.aussies-o...VD/Bathurst.htm

Get in touch with him he is really cheap and is very quick in getting copies off to you.

#30 _76lx_

_76lx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

ha was just about to ask if anybody knows anyone with the full race thanks for puttn that link up im sure hes going to get alot of buisiness this week

#31 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

yeah i sent him a message going to get the years 76 thru 87 from him just wish he had 77 as this is my fav year.
87 is where i sign off from the great race.

#32 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

yeah i sent him a message going to get the years 76 thru 87 from him just wish he had 77 as this is my fav year.

YOU Traitor lol 77 your favourite year!! The FORD 1-2, come on?

#33 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

yeah i know but 77 i dont know cant put my finger on it .could have been the 1/2 maybe the dawning of my favourite colour scheme and the hatchback.i have no idea just one that stuck.but they are all good.

#34 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

PffffT!!!! I would have pleaded TYPO!

#35 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

I religiously got up early, watched and recorded Bathurst (once I had a vcr) every single year without fail since about 1974. Yet I stopped watching Bathurst and the Touring car championship after the very first year of the new V8 Supercar rules. Its just plain boring and these look-a-bit-like shells have no relevance to the dunnydores or foolcons the public can buy.

Race on Sunday Buy on Monday was the catch-cry.

Try doing that with a V8 Supercar at your local dunndore or foolcon dealer.

Sure the A9X was modified for racing, but it was still pretty easy to modify an A9X straight from the showroom to be a replica race car for the street (minus the cop bait rollcage). The hardest part for us old blokes was getting HP reliably out of the 308 because in the late 70's early 80's almost nothing was available off the shelf. Explains why it was easier and far more reliable (more than 400HP) to do a simple 350 Chev transplant (although the M21 hated it). We did this a lot as we didn't know the A9X or L34 would become classic collectables as they where just a car to us teenagers. The 70's for me was the best era for holden vs ford racing and I miss it.

Remember Brock only kept one race car (till he had money issues) and it certainly wasn't any of his dunnydores.

want to make someone happy .what will it take to get copies of those tapes.
and i agree with you %100 you are right on the money with everything you have said.

Have not had a vcr for many many years. I will have to loan one and see what condition they are in. I know they are in the shed in big packing boxes. They are on multiple tapes as they are full originals recordings complete with 70's/80s adverts. I even have some I did in the early 70's (B&W) on the very first philips top loading video recorder (before vhs/beta) but these where not the complete races as each tape was only 30-60min long. Why 7 has not remastered the full races onto dvd is a shame. Very busy with work and reno at the moment but I will add it as a 2011 project.

#36 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

if its any help i have a couple of old working order vcr's here and only a couple of years ago threw the old still working top loader beta.
i would gladly freight one over to you if it helps.
the only thing i do when playing old tapes for the first time in ages is ff and rewind them at least 4 times just to unbind them .i found when i didnt do this they were getting eaten.
and yeah i love the old adds.so many memories of childhood flood back
and i had a friend that worked at 7 supplying equipment for sporting events etc she is now at 2.i asked her to get me the old footage ,the old racecam footage and unbelievable as it is most of it was foolishly thrown in the 90's deemed of little signifigance and her new employ were guilty of the same.so people like you are in a unique situation as far as our motor racing history is concerned.and our history for that matter if you want to take into account the old adds.so please for all of us look after them or get them on another storage medium asap.
i guess we were all just as guilty you couldnt give group c cars away and a9x's could be had for a song.nobody really realised what we had i guess.
anyway sing out if i can help.

#37 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

I used to do a lot of conversion of tape and other media Film Super 8 etc to DVD, and still have some of the gear, if you can you need to find someone with a tape cleaner to clean / wash the tapes as well as unwind rewind them failing that PM me and maybe I can do them for you

#38 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:22 AM

if its any help i have a couple of old working order vcr's here and only a couple of years ago threw the old still working top loader beta.
i would gladly freight one over to you if it helps.
the only thing i do when playing old tapes for the first time in ages is ff and rewind them at least 4 times just to unbind them .i found when i didnt do this they were getting eaten.
and yeah i love the old adds.so many memories of childhood flood back
and i had a friend that worked at 7 supplying equipment for sporting events etc she is now at 2.i asked her to get me the old footage ,the old racecam footage and unbelievable as it is most of it was foolishly thrown in the 90's deemed of little signifigance and her new employ were guilty of the same.so people like you are in a unique situation as far as our motor racing history is concerned.and our history for that matter if you want to take into account the old adds.so please for all of us look after them or get them on another storage medium asap.
i guess we were all just as guilty you couldnt give group c cars away and a9x's could be had for a song.nobody really realised what we had i guess.
anyway sing out if i can help.

My one concern is being at least 14+ years in the shed with all the heat and dust, it might have effected them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I should have treated them like gold, but then again I would have had a shed full of $12k A9X's if I new someone would pay what they now ask. Hell the amount of new and old holden parts that I gave away or just dumped would shock anyone today. I kick myself daily, I just never thought they would be of value, or that many would now be impossible to buy.

The one great race I remember the most was racecams first (in the Williamson Celica) with his quick witted commentary as the Brock and Co flew past on Conrod, it just boggled the mind that we the viewers where now in the heat of the battle. Racecam made the great race even better just as seeing Moffet whine and cry foul every time the Torana's crushed those grandpa Falcoons.

#39 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

youve done it again i agree %100 percent with you.
the tapes should be ok.ive got tapes here that old and they go ok .
if you can do as cruiza said above the cost would very quickly be out weighed by the income from selling them.
remember how special you are now lol.
i would be your first customer.

#40 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

and i your second.please let me know.

#41 _rbu07_

_rbu07_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

When you make the conversion from VHS to a harddrive or DVD you need to use a VHS player that has manual adjustment for tracking, you will need to give it a try a few times to get the best copy. New machines with auto tracking continually change and cause the picture to roll or distort.

Hope you enjoy the DVDs from Patrick through his website I have spent many countless hours watching the races over and over again.

And I too would be love to purchase any videos from the 70s and 80s.

Cheers

#42 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

Agree with rob350hatch,the tapes should be ok if been in packing boxes ,i found the
main killer of tapes was damp and humidity which causes mould and the tape ends up sticking together and
in some cases ruins very large sections of tape.A manual controlled tracking machine will still be out there
but may be a bit hard to get one. Although some of the "auto tracking' models did have a manual option as well.
Some of the problems when taping from VHS to DVD/HDD was caused by "copyguard" embedded on the vertical sync pulse
which caused rolling,loss of colour,and distorted pic.eg.a tearing affect.But with the footage in question there
may have been no "copyguard' but some modern machines still wont let you dump it on to HDD or DVD,only way to know is
to try it.I think many people would appreciate some of the footage.Would be nice.

#43 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

I used to have a small business doing tape conversions if the tapes were mint I used to copy directly to DVD but if not from Whatever medium to PC then edit using some fancy software a bit like photo shop auto fine tune for photos but for video and audio
as a rule of thumb
Clean and wash tapes
Clean video head of VCR using non abrasive cleaners may have to repeat above steps a few times if tapes are really bad
Fast rewind forward and back
play adjusting tracking manually as you go checking picture quality as you go
rewind and finally play to recording media be it PC or direct to DVD

#44 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

cruiza,having not been in the conversion side things other than for
myself and yeah,you guys have some dedly software and stuff to do conversions i know,
just i might of got bit off track,all good.still be good to get that stuff on DVD.

#45 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Why 7 has not remastered the full races onto dvd is a shame. Very busy with work and reno at the moment but I will add it as a 2011 project.

i have a brother that worked for channel 7 , he said all the old tapes inc bathurst were thrown in the bin about 10 years ago

Edited by WhiteA9XS, 10 July 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#46 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

I used to have a small business doing tape conversions if the tapes were mint I used to copy directly to DVD but if not from Whatever medium to PC then edit using some fancy software a bit like photo shop auto fine tune for photos but for video and audio
as a rule of thumb
Clean and wash tapes
Clean video head of VCR using non abrasive cleaners may have to repeat above steps a few times if tapes are really bad
Fast rewind forward and back
play adjusting tracking manually as you go checking picture quality as you go
rewind and finally play to recording media be it PC or direct to DVD

No problems. I don"t want to sell or profit from them, I am more than happy to just give away copies for the lovers of the heyday of Australian motor sport. More the issue is I have an 80ft x 100ft shed full of crap in the loft and I have to move a hell of a lot of crates,motors,gearboxes,panels,packing boxes and furniture etc just to get to where I believe they are. Its been a long time since we moved into this place and 20+ years of collecting has the shed pretty full. I will have to get a crane in as all the heavy diesel work stuff is at the front of the loft (the personal stuff in the back corner).

If they where dvd's they would have been near the Tv - LOL.

Just far too busy at work atm so its not going to happen till I get some time off . I am 7 days a week so buggered if I am doing it at night.

#47 _vbvbvb088_

_vbvbvb088_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

I have full 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 90..bought of ebay but seller long gone. I recall he worked in HSV7 tape room / library in the day?

79 has hour and half of transmission testing on the Sunday morning before going live.

#48 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

I have full 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 90..bought of ebay but seller long gone. I recall he worked in HSV7 tape room / library in the day?

79 has hour and half of transmission testing on the Sunday morning before going live.

I have heard of people getting copies of that but none are willing to share?

#49 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Selfish bastards if you ask me...

#50 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

YOU Traitor lol 77 your favourite year!! The FORD 1-2, come on?

1977 = debut of the A9X :rockon: :rockon:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users